Subject: Winning by influence action and End of Combat placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are two rules that made a huge difference.

End of combat placement
"Also, if your Ship is in a hex
without an Influence Disc after the Combat Phase, you may
place a disc there."

This allows you to make some kind of "influence action" for these areas at the end of the turn. I began using this rule when I realized that in about 1/3 of my movements I had left overs. And I'm using it on the last turn of the game (9) to take control of hexes.

Influence Action:
In our last game I was attacked on my economically strong hex fields (in the last turn of the two player game). It was clear that I would not be able to hold these hex with my ships.

So My last two orders (after my opponent had passed) were influence actions. Taking out my influence disc from the combat zones into the surrounding (economically weak) hex. I lost a lot of economy that way, but since it was the last turn I only had to look for having enough money, which was the case due to some savings of money and the use of colony ships.

So as expected I lost the battles and the systems. He took them over taking 8 VP from me, gaining them for himself. But due to my Influence actions I took over hex worth 5 VP (but poor economy), so my net loss was just 3 VP. Enough to win the game! That was really cool, to see the use of influence actions to make a winning move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you hold on, wait to make sure he actually takes it, and then place it in a sector if you have a ship there? That would be a cool use of an interceptor, I think. When you abandon a sector, the pop goes straight back to your production, but when your pop gets killed, it goes to the graveyard and you still get the money! Very important to remember that... it could keep you in the dough for that extra action you need on the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This technique can also be used without any combat at all. If you have uncontrolled sectors at the back of your empire, using this method effectively uses a move action instead of an influence action to control them. For Terrans, its actually more efficient to do the move action (if you already have the ships and can spare them), but in any event you can leapfrog sectors that you don't want, assuming you have the drive capability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.