Subject: Pre-emptive Strike - how to win the war with weaker ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We had a two-player-game yesterday where I had better economical systems, better ships and huge hex controle. I was just preparing to strike, but he was faster (wanted to play the move order later in that turn). I didn't was that coming since I expected him to build for defence. His drives allowed him to bypass my few ships (leaving interceptors behind for the pinning rule) and spreading all over my empire!! I wanted to invade him, but since I was to slow and since I had more precious systems than he had, I was on the defence suddenly!

He played humans (three ship movements) and I played Empire.

I wasn't able to build a lot of ships, but mine where powerful warmachines. Mainly his fleet wasn't capably for much, BUT he made a great move binding my Dreadnoughts (my best ships) and half of my high tech cruisers in economically unimportant hexes (due to his advance - I was standing at the borders where low value systems were and got pinned).

He took 1/2 of all my systems each with 1 ship (and neutron bombs) which resulted in a huge hex loss for me!!! I couldn't believe what I saw! Economically I got the income, so it could have been worse, but from one moment to the next I got to the defence.

He passed first, so he had the first action. After I wiped out his ships where I was strong, I wanted to get my systems back. But again I got pinned, since he was first. He took movement again, binding my good ships once more! Meanwhile he had placed his influence markers on my good hexes giving him an economic boost! Hell I was swetting! From certain victory to sudden defeat in one turn, simply because I was to slow on movement!

So we both had built our fleets meanwhile. He built a lot of ships and I built high quality, but just a few. He moved them in my systems, where I got pinned, as soon as I built. In the end I forced him to take all his ships into the fighting areas. So he had to give up some of the hex he conquered earlier (and he hasn't been able to put influence markers everywhere, so there were three empty 2-3 VP hexes.That ended in a famous "Influence action" similar as it is described here (but in this case I wasn't forced to give up the systems): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/750682/winning-by-influe...

We fought and I stood my ground. That was the final turn. I lost 10 VP of hex fields due to his early and wide spread invasion, which were possible due to his drives and his constant building of ships during the game!!

I was able to take some of the VP back as you read in the other article. I won, but it turned out close and completely different than I thought.

Great scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up for your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
See, that's the kind of forward thinking I like to see. I mean, you have more interceptors than the opponent's cruisers and dreadnoughts combined, so pin them and go right past them. I always thought a GCDS in the middle was a shield from the other players, but they can just go right past it at the cost of one interceptor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
See, that's the kind of forward thinking I like to see. I mean, you have more interceptors than the opponent's cruisers and dreadnoughts combined, so pin them and go right past them. I always thought a GCDS in the middle was a shield from the other players, but they can just go right past it at the cost of one interceptor...

GCDS pins everything.

But you can do that trick with alien sectors. Sometimes I've managed to execute a surprise attack during turns 1-2 against my neighbor by sending 1 interceptor to prevent pinning and the other one wipes out opponent sector with neutron bombs. The interceptor doesn't even necessarily get destroyed, because it has a good chance to retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a wall of 8 interceptors parked on the only hex into my areas (no wormhole tech). The hex was worth 2vp but it deterred anyone from coming in and messing with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could've build few cheap interceptors/starbases and let them be pinned while you moved the dreadnaught to deal with more important enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nope. Couldn't have done that. I wanted but it didn't worked due to lack of the starbase tech and I have built interceptors, but then he moved in and pinned those too. But I was low on brown materials as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aselan wrote:

He took 1/2 of all my systems each with 1 ship (and neutron bombs) which resulted in a huge hex loss for me!!! I couldn't believe what I saw! Economically I got the income, so it could have been worse, but from one moment to the next I got to the defence.

He passed first, so he had the first action. After I wiped out his ships where I was strong, I wanted to get my systems back. But again I got pinned, since he was first. He took movement again, binding my good ships once more! Meanwhile he had placed his influence markers on my good hexes giving him an economic boost! Hell I was swetting! From certain victory to sudden defeat in one turn, simply because I was to slow on movement!

Great scenario!

From the 2 bolded statements, am I to understand that one fast ship with bombs can neutralize multiple undefended hexes in one or 2 move actions? Just by passing over hexes in move actions you can bomb them and take the influence away? I thought that was part of combat and could only be resolved after all had passed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
Aselan wrote:

Great scenario!

From the 2 bolded statements, am I to understand that one fast ship with bombs can neutralize multiple undefended hexes in one or 2 move actions? Just by passing over hexes in move actions you can bomb them and take the influence away? I thought that was part of combat and could only be resolved after all had passed...

You are misinterpreting as far as I can see. Each system lost was taken with 1 ship and neutron bombs. So you are correct in thinking that taking over other players' systems is part of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I see that now..
modest

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.