JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I were talking the other day about Eclipse, and we were wondering how much it would unbalance things if you house ruled it so that you could send 2 (or possibly three) cubes with a diplomat. This would make it a bit more of a "Don't come at me bro" move to exchange diplomats.

As it currently is, you only take a small economic hit if you go to war with someone you have diplomatic relations with, along with a 1 VP hit (unless you get stuck with the traitor card). And unless you have a race with a dedicated diplomat spot, most people (in the games I have played) don't take them because they want the spots for VP tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
My friend and I were talking the other day about Eclipse, and we were wondering how much it would unbalance things if you house ruled it so that you could send 2 (or possibly three) cubes with a diplomat. This would make it a bit more of a "Don't come at me bro" move to exchange diplomats.

As it currently is, you only take a small economic hit if you go to war with someone you have diplomatic relations with, along with a 1 VP hit (unless you get stuck with the traitor card). And unless you have a race with a dedicated diplomat spot, most people (in the games I have played) don't take them because they want the spots for VP tokens.

I always aim for diplomatic relations with all my neighbors during the first turns, because the extra cube is huge advantage early on. I don't think it's a very good idea to decline a trade pact unless you're going to attack that player immediately. Even if the trade pact gives you production for just two turns, it might turn out very helpful.

Trade pact during turns 1-3 doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that you two won't fight each other at all later on in the game. If the penalty of declaring war would be any larger, nobody would do it and the game would become a bit too static. In my opinion the traitor mechanic is tuned just about right: You don't always want to become the traitor, but it's often a valid option to do that. And especially during the mid-game it's not obvious whether you should sign a trade pact or not.

I believe even two cubes from trade pact would be way too much, forcing everybody to trade and if you don't get the chance, you're out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Would favour too much turtling since no-one would want to miss the two cube production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct that if your track is full, and you gain a combat VP, your only choice is to discard the combat VP, or pull up a combat VP? You cannot pull up ambassadors, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Am I correct that if your track is full, and you gain a combat VP, your only choice is to discard the combat VP, or pull up a combat VP? You cannot pull up ambassadors, correct?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.