BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Resolution Making Ruleset and Photoshop advice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kvothe Ruh
Spain
flag msg tools
Greetings!

In the process of making a translated ruleset for WOW TCG i get stuck at some points. My main resources are web resources. They are often 72 dpi.
Then i decided to make the whole document with this resolution. Pictures looks fine, but texts are awful. I try to increase the font size but still a little bit fuzzy. Photoshop sets A4 paper with 300dpi. In a final step i want to print it with the highest quality possible, like FFG products.

1.- Which resolution is commonly used in this type of works?

2.- Do i save it as a PNG, a PDF...?

3.- Do i print it with Photoshop or another software?

4.- Wich Materials do i have to use? Size of the rules is heigh: 18 cm width: 12,5 cm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregorio Morales
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to layout a ruleset forget Photoshop, and start using InDesign. That's the tool for composing texts with images. Of course, if you want to edit the picture, use Photoshop. But the software to use in composing all together is InDesign.

And yes, 300dpi for images is the way to go for printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for InDesign - it's pretty much the standard for the kind of work you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InDesign is not always Available. Microsoft Publisher is fine and easier to learn. 300dpi is standard. Always use PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photoshop (or any other photo or paint program for that matter) is definitely the wrong tool to be using for anything containing significant text. You need a publishing tool. The difference is that photo software stores a picture of the text at a fixed resolution, while publishing software stores the letter of the text along with enough information about the fonts and layout to be able to generate a picture of the text at any arbitrary resolution later. The former is inefficient (huge storage space requirement) and limits the final output to the resolution of the file. The latter is very efficient (modest storage space requirement), and the final output is limited only by the user's hardware.

Others have already mentioned Adobe InDesign and MS Publisher. There is also a FOSS (free, open-source software) alternative called Scribus. It should do everything you need for a project like this, and without the sticker shock of buying Adobe products.

When you are all done laying out the graphics (you can make those with your photo software and import them) and text, export the result as PDF with embedded fonts for distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My last project I was asked to have the resolution set to 350dpi and keep it at 8bit so the file size still wasn't to retarded, 300 dpi as already mentioned is fine for print. I'm in the process of learning indesign as many have already stated that it's the go to app for assembling images and text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolution is dependent on your print media. Take a look at your paper quality. If it's newspaper quality then 150 dpi is maximum as the paper will smear more. If its newssheet quality (think Times or Newsweek, thin but glossy paper) then it's able to hold about 300 dpi. If it's high quality paper (think Vogue; thick and glossy) then you might be required to submit 600 dpi.

A home printer doesn't need a high dpi; mostly they start to smear at relatively low resolution, around 200 is my guess. Above that you won't get much extra resolution.

If you're using a high quality photo printer then you can up the resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.