Hide
7 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danger Mouse
msg tools
Does anyone know if you could play this 2-player?

eg: each player plays 2 factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jaa17 wrote:

I suppose you could, but without seeing the rules it's hard to say.

From the little I know of Dune, a big part of the game is the alliances, even in 3-player games. With 2-players, you'd lose that, as you'd really only have one viable alliance - with your other player. And you'd kind of have to start with it in place or you'd have your own factions fighting.

Mechanically it would still probably work, it just would be less interesting, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
jaa17 wrote:

Considering that the game is a re-skin of Dune in the Twilight Imperium universe, you'd probably be able to use the 2 player variant that has been developed for that game in order to play a 2 player game of Rex.

(The variant is that each player plays 3 factions with one "primary" and two "auxillary." Every time a Nexus happens, each player must swap one auxillary faction with the other, and they cannot swap the same auxillary faction they received last time.)

That said, Dune (and therefore probably Rex) is the kind of game that's better with more people. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in playing with fewer than 4 as an absolute minimum. Preferably 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Dune rules allow for a 2-player game, but it really misses a lot of the intrigue. It becomes a plain slugfest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be happily surprised if Rex is fun with four and shocked if it is fun with three. I wouldn't bother with any game pretending to be based on Dune that is fun with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mathews
United States
Vail
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this as well. Can anyone that has the game already in Europe comment on this? I've never played Dune either and would be more willing to try it if it were playable with 2. I'm usually gaming with just my wife and don't usually spend money on games that I'll only be able to bring to the table once in a blue moon when I have a group together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gowe
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
adamxpaul wrote:
I will be happily surprised if Rex is fun with four and shocked if it is fun with three. I wouldn't bother with any game pretending to be based on Dune that is fun with two players.

It's not really pretending to be based on Dune... it is based on Dune. And why wouldn't you both with it if it was fun? Isn't fun the point of playing games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.