Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
I'll be heading to my first large (relatively) gaming convention (TotalCon) in February and I'm wondering who of the BGG community is thinking of going and, for those of you have attended in previous years, what I should expect?

I'm pretty much entirely interested in board games, and am particularly curious about their game library. Is it well stocked and does it usually contain newer and older games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
angelia
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posted about TC on this forum for highlights but will ask the board game director, Rob Kircher, to answer your question about the board game library. My last list hasn't been updated since 2010 and I know there are more games that have been added. Rob does a good job of trying to keep the library stocked with the best rated games around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there all weekend.

Last year was my first year at TotalCon and it was really enjoyable. The con was well organized, they had great panels, and there always seemed to be people around for pickup games.

I played games until the wee hours, meet tons of new gamers, and saw lots of cool stuff. I did not get to check out the game library as I was at a booth most of the day, but Angelia will hook you up.

See you at the Con, and be sure to let me know if you ever need a gaming partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went 2 years ago? It was my first boardgame con and I had a blast. Got to play heroscape on a giant fortress, painted my first mini, entered a Tigris & Euphrates competition and bought the Players Handbook for D&D 4th edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys, it sound like a good time! Is it usually well attended? I plan on spending most of my time in the board game room, but will most likely take place in a few larger events (e.g. Wits and Wagers).

I've tried to register through the website, but can't find a link to a payment service or a mail-in order form anywhere. Any ideas as to where I can find either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was well attended for the size con it is.

Hum, Pre Reg does not seem to be up yet. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The online prereg system should be open today or tomorrow.

Total Con had over 800 attendance last year, so make sure you get your hotel reservation soon. Last year they ran out of double bed rooms.

We'll have 2 sessions for Wits & Wagers. Friday night hosted by Tom and Eric of The Dice Tower. Saturday night is hosted by game publisher and designer Larry Whalen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rkircher wrote:
The online prereg system should be open today or tomorrow.

Total Con had over 800 attendance last year, so make sure you get your hotel reservation soon. Last year they ran out of double bed rooms.

We'll have 2 sessions for Wits & Wagers. Friday night hosted by Tom and Eric of The Dice Tower. Saturday night is hosted by game publisher and designer Larry Whalen.

Fantastic. My hotel roomwas reserved a week ago, so I won't get shut out on that. I would need to sign up for the Wits and Wagers event, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always good to sign up for your events. A few events might have limited seats, but for most board games the seats are unlimited. It gives me a count of how many to expect. Both Wits events have lots of seats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And save a few bucks with an all con board game pass. Because you will want to play non-stop once you get there! You will be able to enter the individual events you want when you register online.
There is a link to the game library list on the site. I don't know if the list is up-to-date.
The library is quite good and we all bring a bunch of games, too. Unless you have very narrow tastes in games, there will be plenty of fun and/or new games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rmshay wrote:
And save a few bucks with an all con board game pass. Because you will want to play non-stop once you get there! You will be able to enter the individual events you want when you register online.
There is a link to the game library list on the site. I don't know if the list is up-to-date.
The library is quite good and we all bring a bunch of games, too. Unless you have very narrow tastes in games, there will be plenty of fun and/or new games to play.

I will have to take a look at the event list and see if an open board game pass is worth it, but thanks for the recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just let you there will be more titles added after the online does go live. So let me know if there is something you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Looking over the website, I see that scheduled events have priority over open gaming. This is understandable, but have you had to move open gamers elsewhere for this reason often?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEbonyTurtle wrote:
Looking over the website, I see that scheduled events have priority over open gaming. This is understandable, but have you had to move open gamers elsewhere for this reason often?

No we have not moved open gamers yet but we grow every year and wanted make clear of the rules. We want to make sure all gamers are taken care of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
angelia
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, do you have a more updated listing for the boardgame library to share? My list is from 2010 and I'm pretty sure we've added at least a few more titles since we do get a few each year from companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may wish to add this to the directory located here:

Board Game Convention and Event Calendar

By collecting events on a consolidated calendar we create more exposure for all events.

Also, I am sorry if I have already notified you of this calendar. My memory is not what it used to be.

Happy Gaming,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
You may wish to add this to the directory located here:

Board Game Convention and Event Calendar

By collecting events on a consolidated calendar we create more exposure for all events.

Also, I am sorry if I have already notified you of this calendar. My memory is not what it used to be.

Happy Gaming,
Matt

It is.. I posted it a while ago. Perhaps not very pretty, bt the info is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
When might we expect to see an updated Game Library list on the website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TheEbonyTurtle wrote:

Bueller? Bueller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEbonyTurtle wrote:
TheEbonyTurtle wrote:

Bueller? Bueller?

Here is the library list so far......

7 Wonders
A Few Acres of Snow
Acquire
Age of Empires 3
Age of Industry
Agricola
Alhambra
Alien Frontiers
Amyitis
Axis & Allies Europe
Axis & Allies, 1942 Edition
Bang
Battleline
Belfort
Bonanza
Brass
Can't Stop
Cape Horn
Carcassonne
Castle for All Seasons
Caylus
Change Horses
Citadels
Cities & Knights
Crokinole
Darjeeling
Diplomacy
Dominant Species
Dominion
Egizia
El Grande
Eminent Domain
Factory Manager
Family Business
Fast Flowers Forest Fellers
Formula De
Founding Fathers
Franks's Zoo
Guillotine
Havana
Hermagor
Ingenious
Key Harvest
Kingdom Builder
Kingsburg
Le Harve
London
Lords of Vegas
Lost Cites
Lost Cities the Boardgame
Macao
Mamma Mia
Manoever
Medici
Monopoly
Navegador
No Thanks
Pacific Typhoon
Power Grid
Princes of Florence
Puerto Rico
RA
Ra Dice Game
Race for the Galaxy
Razzia
Risk
Risk 2210 AD
Roll through the Ages
Royal Palce
San Juan
Santa Fe Rails
Settlers of Catan
Small World
St Petersburg
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit
Stone Age
Stratego Legends & Booster Pack
Strozzi
The 3 Commandments
The Speicherstadt
Thurn & Taxis
Tichu
Ticket to Ride
Trans America
Trans Europe
Troyes
Tsuro
Twilight Struggle
Ultimate Stratego
Union Pacific
Vegas Showdown
Washington's War
Witch's Brew
Wizard
Wyatt Earp
Yspahan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gracia
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi All,

Totalcon the first of many conventions Greenbrier games is going to be at. We will be showcasing our upcoming game Zpocalypse!!
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/108665/zpocalypse
http://www.facebook.com/zpocalypse

Come out and see Zpocalypse! Get a chance to try the game and give your feed-back about game play. Talk to us, the creators, about your experience, and whether or not you'll live to kill zombies another day. We will have raffled prizes through either Kickstarter or Myriad Games for those brave survivors who hang out, play some rounds, and give us their thoughts. All zombie and game enthusiasts are welcome!

Thanks,
~Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
And, the Dice Tower will be there!!!

I thought I would post the official Dice Tower events for TotalCon, since it's a week away!!

TotalCon 26 Dice Tower Schedule

Thursday 2/23
Around noon - Tom and Eric arrive
3pm - Jim Reed, Matt, Jeff arrive
3pm - Capo Playtest (Tom)
7pm - Merchant of Venus (Eric)
7pm - New and Unusual Games - (Tom)
7pm - Survive! (Jim)

Friday 2/24
5-7pm - Dice Tower Dinner - Meet us in the main gaming room at around 4:45 PM

8pm - Wits and Wagers (Tom and Eric) Sign up!!! It'll be fun!!
9pm - Faces (Tom)
11pm - Werewolf (Tom)

Saturday 2/25
10am - Cosmic Encounter (Tom) Also known as the Vasel Smackdown game.
10am - Panic Station (Jim)
1pm - Quarriors Tournament (Tom and Eric and Jim)
3PM - LIVE DICE TOWER RECORDING. Anyone who shows up is welcome to contribute to the podcast. Lots of fun - come on out and ask questions - live!

Sunday 2/26
8:30am - Bible Study - see Tom if you want to get involved.

Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun.

And only a week away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since TotalCon is during school vacation week, my wife and I are planning to come on Thursday and maybe Friday and bring our daughters (ages 8 and 6). I'll be their first con, and we're curious to see how they hold up.

Has anyone on this forum taken kids before (or know someone who has)? The 8-year old likes to play board and video games (DS, mostly), and when told about the con asked if we could stay all 4 days. The 6-year old will play games, but is less likely to stay interested all day. Fortunately, she loves movies, so maybe there'll be something on she can watch for some of the time.

My big question is how the kids gaming area is structured. I see there are some "events" listed; is there also open gaming in the kids space, or should we assume that we'll need to entertain them (or at least manage their entertainment) any time they're not registered for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xxx xxx
United States
Woonsocket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Hello,
I am the Young Players' Coordinator for Total Confusion. We have 3 tables for Young Players, usually 2 or 3 events scheduled every slot. I also have a big box of games I will let kids use if they stay in our area. We have players 6 to 16 years old. If an event doesn't go off or a game ends early i would be happy to teach a game to your child. Our Young Players's Area is in the corner of the Boardgame room, so parents can possibly observe their children. We do not take any responsibility for child care or babysitting, but we are more than happy to entertain registered children with scheduled events or open gaming if the oppurtunity arises. Our intention is to give gaming families a great gaming experience. So if your children like to game they can certainly join in. I know young children's attention waxes and wanes, so it is not unusal for kids to wander back and forth between our tables over to their parents then back again. It's all depends on their level of comfort or maturity. Hope that helps!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John J Perry Jr
United States
East Templeton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We've demoed and sold our game Chaos Isle at Total Con a couple of years in a row a couple of years back. The vendor room is small but the vendors that are there have plenty to choose from. Attendance was more like the 500 range, so they've definitely grown. The venue that is used is excellent and it's quite fun to hang out late at night playing games at all the available tables. The people that run the Con are GREAT to work with! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.