Subject: Noob- few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Subramanian Krishnamurthy
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
We have played 1.5 games of AH but still not sure what to do in some of the scenarios. I did go through some of the previous entries in the forums but couldn't find answers to what I was looking for. We plan to play in a few hours (!), so any help is much appreciated.

1. Once I return from other World,can I close a gate simply by evading a monster present on the gate, rather than fighting it? If so, what happens to the monster-should it be moved to street location or back to monster cup? Rule book only says that we need to resolve (evade or fight) it and it may be postponed until next turn, but doesn't say that we need to kill it.

2. During our game, one of the players became the Sheriff and got a Sheriff card which allowed him to go anywhere on the board, ignoring normal movement.Does this mean he can jump to any part of the board, ignoring his movement points and/or ignore any monsters in the way? Together with this card, he also had the return from OW to Arkham any time which could be used during movement phase, so we were able to close a lot of gates easily-just jump to gate, go to OW and immediately return and close gate! Was this play correct?

3. When drawing items, spells, allies etc we always take the top card (unless the encounter card allows us to browse) and discard to bottom of pile?

4. Can trading happen any time during the 5 phases except during combat? We interpreted the "before, during and after movement phase" in the rule book as at the start, during and end of movement phase, but not in other phases.

5. One location encounter card allowed me to go to any other location I want. I chose to go to a location with a gate, so I immediately got sucked in, have a OW encounter etc? Still I am in normal status (not delayed) and move to 2nd OW location next turn? Is this correct? Also, what happens if the new location that I move to has a gate+monster, should I evade/fight it first before I get sucked in to OW?

6. If Arkham encounter says monster appears, do we have to fight/evade it in the same phase, same turn. Or does it happen only on the movement phase next turn? Also, in case of OW encounter, does the monster go to any specific location (for eg the gate we entered from) or it doesn't matter-we just fight/evade it and then return it to cup?

7. Do activity markers do anything for gameplay?

8. Always a spell has to be cast successfully (pass lore check) before being used, correct? Suppose I enter a combat 2 one-handed weapons/spells, one (or both) of which is a spell but fail to cast (or both) the spell, do I need to enter the combat with only the remaining weapon or can I use another one-handed weapon/spell during the same combat?

My sincere apologies if my questions were too long and/or not clear. Looking forward to your replies-only few hours to go before we get horrified....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. On the turn that you come back from the Other World, you return on your movement phase and get a 'free pass' against any monsters that are on the location with the Gate. In the next phase (Arkham Encounters) you can attempt to close the Gate.

Assuming you succeed in closing the Gate (which is a Lore or Fight check minus the Gate's modifier), the Gate is closed and any monsters on the location are returned to the bag, considered sucked back through the closing Gate.

Were you to fail to close it, your next movement phase will come before the next Arkham Encounters so you would have to evade or fight the monsters then, before potentially trying to close it again in Arkham Encounters.

2. The Deputies Wagon does let you move to another location anywhere instead of your normal movement but check the text on the card: after each combat or return from an Other World you have to discard it if you roll a 1 on a die.

Assuming the other card you are talking about is Find Gate, you can move to the Gate, enter the Other World and then use Find Gate to return but remember the phases: Find Gate can only be cast in Movement Phase, so it would be a) Movement Phase: use Wagon to move to Gate. b) Arkham Encounter Phase: go to Other World. c) Other World Encounter: have encounter in Other World, then d) on your next Movement Phase, you cast Find Gate and return, then close it on immediately following Arkham Encounters Phase.

If you were moving to Gate, going to OW, then immediately casting Find Gate and returning, that would be incorrect due to the restriction on the card as to what phase Find Gate can be cast in.

3. Yes you take the top card (or cards if shopping). Certain investigators let you draw extra cards, and Ashcan Pete lets you draw off the bottom of a deck. You can use this to get someone else to discard a card to the bottom, then have Pete take the card from there.

4. As far as I am aware you can trade Items anytime you are both in the same location, except for when one Investigator is currently involved in a combat.

5. You played it correctly, you would move to the Gate location and go through the Gate, as if you had moved there in movement and then went through in Arkham Encounter. You would not have to fight/evade any monsters as that only happens in Movement Phase.

6. In the case of 'a monster appears' you fight or evade the monster straight away. If you kill it you can keep it as a trophy, if you evade it or it sends you insane or unconscious it is returned to the cup, in any case it never stays on the board.

7. No, they are usually used as reminders for an area that a Mythos card may be affecting with a Rumour or other condition that you need to remember, the token itself has no effect on gameplay.

8. Yes you must pass the Lore check first, and you pay any Sanity cost before this so even if the spell fails you lose the Sanity, and any hands you had devoted to the spell in that round of combat.

If you had a combat where you have a one handed weapon in one hand, and are using the other hand for a Spell, if you fail the Lore check that hand is considered used for that round only, you cannot use something else in it's place - think of it as the time and effort taken to read the Spell and prepare it etc.

In the next round you would have the hand free again for another weapon, or to try another spell, or use a two handed weapon as you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. It was really helpful. Just a couple of follow-ups

So, to close a gate, it is not necessary to kill a monster, simply evading it is enough? And we were moving the monster to the street (just like if a location got closed) while closing the gate since dimensional symbol didn't match, but you are saying irrespective of that, monster would get sucked in if it was in same location as gate being closed, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just clarify one a couple of Conor's otherwise fine answers. When closing a gate, it isn't the monsters at that location that are returned to the cup -- although, that is a variant used by some. It is he monsters whose symbol matches the symbol on the gate that are returned.

The trading aspect has been discussed quite a bit. I think the final decision was that trading could only be done during the movement phase, excluding once combat has begun. So no piling into the shops, buying and then giving your excess money to someone else.

Also, if an investigator is drawn into a gate during the Mythos phase, Find Gate cannot be used during the movement phase to avoid having an encounter. At least one encounter must be had while in an Other World.

Also, monsters only move when their dimensional symbol appears on a Mythos card, so moving monsters to the street if the gate on which they are sitting is closed is incorrect.

If you don't use the variant of returning the monster to the cup in that situation, the investigator must fight or evade during his/her next movement phase.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
subrak13 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. It was really helpful. Just a couple of follow-ups

So, to close a gate, it is not necessary to kill a monster, simply evading it is enough? And we were moving the monster to the street (just like if a location got closed) while closing the gate since dimensional symbol didn't match, but you are saying irrespective of that, monster would get sucked in if it was in same location as gate being closed, correct?

Strangely enough now that I go to check the rules I rediscover that this is #6 in a list of house rules that the designer sometimes uses, this one meaning to make the game a bit easier for novices - so if you are playing by the rules the monster would not be sucked through when the gate closes, unless it was taken via the 'same dimensional symbol as the gate' rule. So it is up to you whether to play it that way or not, personally I would as it seems sort of thematic and gives the investigators a slight break considering everything else they have stacked against them. goo

As for the first bit of that question, yes to close the gate you can do that regardless of monsters being there or not. But if you are in the same location as a gate and monster(s) in one of your movement phases you must deal with any monsters before attempting to close - the exception being on the turn you come back from the Other World as per rules pg. 18 'Monsters Guarding Gates'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I'll just clarify one a couple of Conor's otherwise fine answers. When closing a gate, it isn't the monsters at that location that are returned to the cup -- although, that is a variant used by some. It is he monsters whose symbol matches the symbol on the gate that are returned.

The trading aspect has been discussed quite a bit. I think the final decision was that trading could only be done during the movement phase, excluding once combat has begun. So no piling into the shops, buying and then giving your excess money to someone else.

Also, if an investigator is drawn into a gate during the Mythos phase, Find Gate cannot be used during the movement phase to avoid having an encounter. At least one encounter must be had while in an Other World.

Also, monsters only move when their dimensional symbol appears on a Mythos card, so moving monsters to the street if the gate on which they are sitting is closed is incorrect.

If you don't use the variant of returning the monster to the cup in that situation, the investigator must fight or evade during his/her next movement phase.

Brian

Now I am even more confused. But don't the monsters move when a location gets closed? I quote from the FAQ in the rule book,

If a card causes a location to temporarily close, what
happens to any monsters or investigators at that location?
A: They are immediately moved into a street area as if the
location had closed permanently.

So, is it not true that monsters can move other times that during mythos phase? Also, if I seal the gate (immediately after closing), would the monster still be there for me to fight during next turn? Wouldn't it violate monsters not appearing in places where gates are sealed or it applies only to future monsters? And finally, can existing monsters, investigators and clues move to locations (or be present) with sealed gates?

After I posted, I checked a couple of previous entries for trades and most of them seemed to say trading can be done during ANY phase, although we were playing it like you said-only during movement phase. The answer from the official FAQ is unclear

Q: Exactly where, when, and what can investigators
trade?
A: Investigators may trade any time they are in the same
except during combat. They may trade before,
during or after movement, which means trading does not
end a move.

So does any time mean any time during the movement phase or any time during any of the phases?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Closing a gate and closing a location are two distinct things.

Closing a gate happens frequently (or should if you want to win!) and does not involve moving monsters. However, if any monsters on the board match the gate symbol,they are removed from the board and returned to the cup.

Closing a location occurs when the terror track gets too high or a specific event cause it to happen. This is a permanent closing of the location (sometimes temporary, depending on the event) in which the location is no longer accessible at all. What the FAQ point is telling you to do is move those monsters to the street so they are still in the game. Otherwise they could not be battled if they never moved since investigators can't reach them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As to trading, the only real restriction is that you cannot trade during combat - which typically happens during phase 2 movement. This has been "clarified" to say you can trade before during or after movement (in other words, it does not cause you to stop moving for the turn).

Some have taken that to mean that you can only trade during movement. But I am of the understanding you can trade at any time, in any phase except during combat and during the resolution of events. Events, once started, continue to conclusion and cannot be interrupted unless something specifically says you can interrupt them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Mucha
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But why you treat location as closed? Closing the gate doesn't mean closing the location (apart if the location was closed earlier). Then I believe either the monsters and the investigators should go to the street area after gate closure.
Good question about the sealed areas - do they count as closed for monsters? Can monster travel to that location or it's rather like Mandy Thompson 'stable' ability (cannot appear but can travel)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks a lot. Can you please also address the 2nd half of the question-

If I seal the gate (immediately after closing), would the monster still be there for me to fight during next turn? Wouldn't it violate monsters not appearing in places where gates are sealed or it applies only to future monsters? And finally, can existing monsters, investigators and clues move to locations or appear at locations with sealed gates?

Can you (if possible) point me to the thread which talks about the trading or address the anomaly in the rule book FAQ regarding the trade at any time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
flymar wrote:
But why you treat location as closed? Closing the gate doesn't mean closing the location (apart if the location was closed earlier). Then I believe either the monsters and the investigators should go to the street area after gate closure.

Yes, if a closed location has a gate on it, the gate completely replaces the location. It is now "accessible" to monsters and investigators alike.

If the gate then gets closed, the location is still closed so any investigators and monsters immediately get moved to the street.

Quote:
Good question about the sealed areas - do they count as closed for monsters? Can monster travel to that location or it's rather like Mandy Thompson 'stable' ability (cannot appear but can travel)?

The rules/faq addresses this - a monster can be moved onto a sealed location (though it is not going to happen often that a monster travels from the streets to a location, movement is typically the opposite direction). All the seal does is prevent a gate from opening - no bearing on monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
oops...please ignore previous post. I didn't realize I got more replies before I posted it, although the issue regarding travel to sealed gates remains unresolved (at least in my mind!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
subrak13 wrote:
Ok, thanks a lot. Can you please also address the 2nd half of the question-

If I seal the gate (immediately after closing), would the monster still be there for me to fight during next turn? Wouldn't it violate monsters not appearing in places where gates are sealed or it applies only to future monsters? And finally, can existing monsters, investigators and clues move to locations or appear at locations with sealed gates?

Can you (if possible) point me to the thread which talks about the trading or address the anomaly in the rule book FAQ regarding the trade at any time?

Sorry missed this part of the question until flymar posted.

Sealed locations only prevent gates from appearing. No bearing on monsters there, monsters moving there, clues appearing, or any other game effect (unless specifically mentioned). Only gates.

As to the location in the rules, it is hard for me to point to exact references. I have read so many official threads, so many unpublished FAQs, and so many emails to the design team that it is hard for me to pinpoint the exact spots. I just know what I know, if you know what I mean....

I believe the rules state "before, during, or after movement." The FAQ said "anytime but combat," which would be all phases. But the newest FAQ may restrict it back to just "Phase 2 except during combat" in an attempt to close down a lot of rule questions involving trading. But currently, any time except combat is the official stance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
All you guys are so nice and so prompt. Great resource, thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
flymar wrote:

There's a specific Mythos card, for example, that closes Hibb's Roadhouse for one turn. There's another that closes the Miskatonic University locations (not sure if this is an Environment or just a one-turn event). Those cards require that the monsters be moved to the street. An investigator closing the gate doesn't trigger that mechanism.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Mucha
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another game, another questions
Abhoth as the AO - Attack - investigator must discard 3 Clue tokens, monster/gate trophies or items or be devoured.
Finn Edwards - ability - never has to discard items.
Is it instant win against AO? I think the ability shouldn't work during Final Battle.

2. After LiTaS I went to Devil Reef. Can I get to Falcon Point for 2$? The location decription says about "any other" investigator. This could be understood as I need someone to send a boat for me.

3. I chose a Devil Reef because there were 3 Clue tokens. After LiTaS I travel to Devil Reef at the beginning of Upkeep phase. Do I collect the Clues immediately or I collect them at the end of move phase (so basically I need to stay at Devil Reef)?

Overall very bad game - been cursed 2 times but I could win - I started with 2 Molotov's cocktails 6+6+4+1forPerformer skill. But battle started with Sinister Plot and it was failure.

BTW are there somewhere scoring rules for lost games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Finn doesn't have to discard items, but he would still have to discard 3 clue tokens or monster/gate trophies. He could still choose to lose items, though.

2. No, you can't get back yourself, except through a card encounter. Someone else at Falcon Point could rescue you by using the location text.

3. There has been a lot of discussion about that, but we have always played it you have to be there at the end of the movement phase. Others may argue differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Taylor
msg tools
Finn can choose to die instead of discard items. Not much of a choice He's safe from abilities that say you must discard, but not from the "or" choice on "must discard or".

In my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth commenting that it seems as though Trading can occur any time except during an atomic activity (one that can't be interrupted), there are two such activities that I can think of: Combat and Encounters.

Quote:
The reason why you can't cast Find Gate is because you are Delayed, not because you have to have the Encounter (though I accept that the Delayed mechanism was introduced to ensure that you do have an Encounter on your first turn in OW, regardless of which Phase you arrive)

Quote:
And (with expansions) Gate Bursts cause Flying Monsters to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I think it's worth commenting that it seems as though Trading can occur any time except during an atomic activity (one that can't be interrupted), there are two such activities that I can think of: Combat and Encounters.

Quote:
The reason why you can't cast Find Gate is because you are Delayed, not because you have to have the Encounter (though I accept that the Delayed mechanism was introduced to ensure that you do have an Encounter on your first turn in OW, regardless of which Phase you arrive)

Quote:
And (with expansions) Gate Bursts cause Flying Monsters to move.

So do you play that if an investigator is delayed during the OW Encounters phase s/he can't cast Find Gate during movement of the next turn and must have a second encounter?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.