Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » General

Subject: Too hard to overcome a deficit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob C
United States
flag msg tools
I have played about 8 two player games of Quarriors. In all but one, it was a blowout. The closest one was about 20 to 14. Both myself and my wife won, so it wasn't one player dominating over the other. I know that 8 games isn't a huge statistical number, but it seems like once one player gets a creature that it powerful, or outnumbers the other player by a couple creatures it is game over.

Is this what other people are finding, or do you usually have closer games that go back and forth? Perhaps are we doing something wrong?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had blow out games, but I've also had games with only 1 point differences in score. Using the Advanced Culling rules and the Expert Buying rules seemed to make the ending points a lot closer together (at least in the few games I've played with them).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob C
United States
flag msg tools
Ruskicowboy wrote:
I've had blow out games, but I've also had games with only 1 point differences in score. Using the Advanced Culling rules and the Expert Buying rules seemed to make the ending points a lot closer together (at least in the few games I've played with them).


Do you know where I can find the expert buying rules? Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/quarma/Quarmagedd...

Page 10
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob C
United States
flag msg tools
ashman wrote:

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Knutson
United States
Holden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
I've had blow out games, but I've also had games with only 1 point differences in score. Using the Advanced Culling rules and the Expert Buying rules seemed to make the ending points a lot closer together (at least in the few games I've played with them).


I've had close games and blowouts with the traditional rules too. However, if there's ever a lead by 5 points then that person is all but guaranteed to win. Have you seen a large lead erased by using the advanced/expert rule variants? Just curious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I if I recall correctly, he had some bad luck getting creatures out for a period of time (kept rolling their quiddity side), so I'm not sure if these rules would help a run-away leader problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kjell1979 wrote:
I've had close games and blowouts with the traditional rules too. However, if there's ever a lead by 5 points then that person is all but guaranteed to win. Have you seen a large lead erased by using the advanced/expert rule variants? Just curious.


Yep, I have. Well let me qualify that. We play with two buys, and a slightly modified scoring rule. When a creature survives to score, you get the option to score the Glory OR cull a die from your used poll--but not BOTH.

So in our last game, both of my opponents were scoring their small creatures early while I went heavy on the culling. I believe they each had 6 and 8 points respectively while I was at 0. But I got my dice 1engine in gear and started to storm back. We played to 15 points and I think I was at 12 when the winner crossed the finish line. My other opponent had 10. So while I didn't quite complete the comeback, I certainly did close the gap.

BTW playing with these two modified rules has turned Quarriors into the game our group hoped it would be. The core rules fell flat with EVERYONE. We had a runaway leader problem in every single game we played with those.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bootylactin wrote:
kjell1979 wrote:
I've had close games and blowouts with the traditional rules too. However, if there's ever a lead by 5 points then that person is all but guaranteed to win. Have you seen a large lead erased by using the advanced/expert rule variants? Just curious.


Yep, I have. Well let me qualify that. We play with two buys, and a slightly modified scoring rule. When a creature survives to score, you get the option to score the Glory OR cull a die from your used poll--but not BOTH.

So in our last game, both of my opponents were scoring their small creatures early while I went heavy on the culling. I believe they each had 6 and 8 points respectively while I was at 0. But I got my dice 1engine in gear and started to storm back. We played to 15 points and I think I was at 12 when the winner crossed the finish line. My other opponent had 10. So while I didn't quite complete the comeback, I certainly did close the gap.

BTW playing with these two modified rules has turned Quarriors into the game our group hoped it would be. The core rules fell flat with EVERYONE. We had a runaway leader problem in every single game we played with those.


I like your variant. I think thats the rule I will use when I introduce this game at my game night.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.