Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

While there have not been a lot of Questions on the Heroes from the Hero Expansions, and those that have come up I have worked to answer quickly, I was wondering if the players would like to have an Official FAQ on the Heroes Expansions.

If you would like an Official FAQ and have specific questions, you could help me out by posting the Hero and the Question onto this post so I can more easily compile them.

Thanks - and I hope everyone is enjoying the new Heroes proved in these expansions.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a Vanished Assassin participate in a group combat?

No - She does not come out of the shadows until her turn, so she would not be able to join a group combat against a General while Shadow Walking.

http://bgg.cc/thread/700369/can-a-vanished-assassin-shadow-w...

Can the Shaman use a horse, eagle, or gate card to travel while in Bear or Wolf Form?

He cannot use a horse or eagle card to travel while in Bear or Wolf form, but he can still travel using a gate card.

http://bgg.cc/thread/750667/shaman-in-bear-or-wolf-form-can-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the official 5-6 player variant, how many cards can the Adventurer have in her hand?

The Adventurer has maximum hand size of 14 cards even when playing the official 5-6 player variant.

Adventurer's Magic Pouch and the 5-6 player rules

What happens when the Assassin uses her Shadow Walk ability to pass through or end on a space with Fire?

When the Assassin Shadow Walks she is immune to Fire.

Another Assassin question on the Shadow Walk ability.

What is a Poison Token as described in the Healer's Potent Remedy skill? Is this from a variant I'm not familiar with?

Yes - In the Generals of the Dark Lord Variant (a future expansion) there is a Minion type and General that poisons the Heroes.

Healer - Potent Remedy, Captain of the Guard - Battle Steed, Assassin - Sneak Attack

Is the Assassin's Sneak Attack ability available the first time you attack minions each turn, or the first time you attack minions at each location?

First attack at each location per turn, but you may not exit and re-enter the same location to gain this ability a second time. Only one time per location each turn.

Healer - Potent Remedy, Captain of the Guard - Battle Steed, Assassin - Sneak Attack

Do the Battle Steed (Captain of the Guard) and Swift Attack (Elf Lord) abilities require you to select the type of minion you are attacking with the extra die before rolling?

Yes.

Two rule questions on the new hero abilities
Elf Lord Swift Attack question

How many actions are required for Elf Lord to enter an adjacent green location on Fire?

One.

Question Regarding Elf Lord Entering Bunring Green Location

The Healer is participating in a group attack against Varkolak. Using her Walk In The Light ability she ignores his special ability and can use any special skills and abilities she may have acquired including Battle Luck cards. Can other players use their Battle Luck cards on her combat roll?

Yes. Although other players cannot use Battle Luck on their own dice they can use them on the Healer's dice.

Can the Healer also use her own Battle Luck cards on the dice of other players?

Yes.

Healer's Walk In The Light Abillity and Battle Luck in Group Attack Against Varkolak

Must an extra hit gained from the Monk's Flurry of Blows skill be used on the minion type corresponding to the color of die rolled, or may the extra hit be applied to any minion involved in the attack?

An extra hit from the Monk's Flurry of Blows skill can be applied to any minion on the space - it does not need to be the same color as the die rolled. The Dragonkin are the one exception to this rule as they have tough armor-like skin. A 6 on a blue die that slays a Dragonkin does not slay a second minion. On the other hand, rolling a 6 on a non-blue die in a location with at least one Dragonkin slays a minion of that color and could be used to also slay one Dragonkin.

Question: Flurry of Blows

Is the Healer's Potent Remedies skill affected by the Mana Drain Global Effect card?

No. This Healing is by potions and skill, not Magic, so it is not affected by Mana Drain.

Questions on Healer's Potent Remedies+ Global Effect Card Mana Drain

Can cards or quest rewards which permit the Druid to re-roll/modify combat results be used in conjunction with his Woodland Magic?

No. Woodland Magic cannot be modified with such cards or quest rewards since it is not really his attack, but his summoning of animals to attack. This action is always at the -1 Die Modifier stated on the Spell.

Druid and Woodland Magic

Can Elf Lord's Elven Magic be used on the Shaman's Arrows of Destruction?

No. The Elf Lord's Elven Magic re-roll can only be used for failed dice. So this would apply to (for example) Quest die rolls, Combat rolls, Healing the Land rolls, Putting out a Fire rolls, but would not apply to the Shaman's Arrows of Destruction as there is no failed die roll for this skill - only a varying level of Destruction. In the case of the Shaman's Arrows, the act always succeeds, the die roll is just to establish how much destruction he does.

Elf Lord and Elven Magic

When the Thief is in position to use her Scouting ability multiple times, can she stop after Scouting only some of the locations?

Yes. She can decide after each card is received whether to continue to Scout the other locations. So, for example, if she receives a wound after her first Scout, she could decide to stop.

Question on Thief's Scouting Ability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to David Knepper for coordinating all questions and posted answers to date I should be able to post the FAQ this week for the new Heroes. David also compiled all Questions and answers to date for the Global Effects, so I will post a separate FAQ on those next week sometime.

Thanks to all for posting questions, and it is my hope that the FAQs provide not only the answer to questions, but the thematic logic behind the rules.

As always - thanks for playing Defenders of the Realm. Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be nice to include a chart with each hero and their skills (including the original heroes would be nice too) to show which of their special abilities are magic (affected by mana drain) and which are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion on the chart, but it will not be included with the FAQ. I am open to the idea of posting one, but must admit the skills required to make charts are not my specialty. So, if anyone is good at this, maybe you could draft a chart and I could review and finalize.

The FAQ the Heroes has been completed and is being proofed at present. I hope to post tomorrow or the weekend at the latest.

Thanks again for the help of everyone posting Q&A, especially David as he did a great job compiling the documents I worked off of, which included the links posted here as by other players as well - so thanks to all.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Heroes Expansion FAQ has been posted and should appear in the next few days in the Files section as it will take a little while to be addressed by the BGG Administrators. Thanks again to those that helped, David Knepper in particular doing the major coordination of the Questions.

Thanks for playing - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.