Subject: A trip across the South...looking for advice on stuff to visit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in April I'm going to be taking a trip across the Southern USA. I'm starting near Orlando, Florida, and will be ending in Las Cruces, New Mexico. This is the general route of my trip as of right now.

I'm currently planning to go to Olustee Battlefield in Florida. Besides that I don't really have any plans. Any good stuff along the way to visit? I'm willing to go out of the way...but not way out of the way...if that makes sense at all. I know a lot of you guys know a lot more history in the area than I do, and I would love to visit some of these places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Alamo while you're in San Antonio?

Not large, but certainly significant to US history.

I've never been to the Vicksburg National Military Park, but this should be worth seeing considering your travels take you through Vicksburg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Longstreet
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Columbia's Gettysburg: Badges of Courage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the biggest mistakes you are making is one the third leg of the journey. Going from Savannah, Ga to Birmingham, Al without going up to Chattanooga. One of the finest National Military Battlefields is at Chickamauga. Beside that, there are 100'ss of things to see all along that route.

Send me an email and I can give you an more accurate list for your taste and time restriction

John Longstreet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
How about the Alamo while you're in San Antonio?

Not large, but certainly significant to US history.

I would recommend the Alamo too.

Since Houston is on your route the Johnson Space Center would be a good one. If you take the tour (there's a half- and full-day tour) you can see Mission Control, both the new and old one. Plenty of other cool things to do in the big exhibit hall. The USS Texas is also in Houston, it's a big floating museum.

EDIT: The National Museum of the Pacific War is in Fredricksburg, TX. 1 1/2 hours west of Austin and maybe not too far off your route. http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/index.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would visit New Orleans if I where you. I have not visited the battle sight but the city, culture and food is just OUTSTANDING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vicksburg NMP is a great ride; highly recommended.

There's always San Jacinto outside Houston, if you want to see what Texans do when they win a battle.

Plenty to do in Austin--see Great Hall Games, for one thing! The LBJ Library is also a good stop for the history-minded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Vicksburg (unless you decide to take the southern route through New Orleans), and instead of just the Alamo, take the time to see the whole Mission Trail, which includes the Alamo and several other old missions there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd make a short detour from Savannah to Charleston to make a stop at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC., for the best Shrimp & Grits in the World!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't much to see on I-20 once you cross into Louisiana. I mean, there are historical sites, but they will be off the road and hard to find. Believe me, it's where I'm from. Dallas really doesn't have a lot to offer as far as sites go, but it's a fun place in other was. Fort Worth has the stockyards where they drive cattle through sometimes. It's really up to you whether you'd rather visit the DFW area or New Orleans. Definitely go to the San Jacinto Monument/Battleship/Battlefield in Houston though, and the Alamo is also a must. If you are there on the weekend, there is always a man recounting the story of the siege outside the front gate.
Also, I'm normally not interested in models or things like that, but the diorama in the Alamo museum is impressive indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible I would bend it south to hit New Orleans. If not, I'd consider bending it a bit north to hit stuff in the Chattanooga area. Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, and such. It's been decades since I've been to Lookout Mountain (and all the non-battlefield stuff ensures I just keep driving now when I go past), and I've yet to make it to Chickamauga, so keep that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, one of my favorite historical sites is in Louisiana just off I-20, but it's a little outré: Poverty Point, one of the largest, oldest habitation sites in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_Point

If you have an interest in prehistoric, archaeological sites it's worth a stop. If not: Keep on scooting down I-20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add my recommendation for Vicksburg. I am originally from Mississippi and have a great love for that park. As you drive West from Jackson you will be following Grant's advance. It's unfortunate that there aren't any markers or parks, but you will crossing through the battlefields of Clinton, Edwards, Champion Hill and Big Black River. At Vicksburg they have a great park that includes the Gunboat Cairo, which was raised from the Yazoo River and is on display in partial reconstruction. The National Parks Survice is in the process of removing the massive post-battle forest and undergrowth in order to return the fields to a more original condition. As it is now there are many artillery batteries that appear to be pointing into a forest for no apparent reason.

Here's a recent photo of the "restoration" in process, looking from the Union Lines near the Illinois Monument towards the Confederate lines. I wish they could keep it looking like that since I would imagine that might be pretty close to how the terrain might have looked at the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Alamo, San Jacinto, Battleship Texas and Vicksburg. Dallas has the Kennedy Assassination site/museum. I love Ft Worth as a place to live and visit, but historically there isn't much to see. Ft Davis out in west Texas in Guadalupe Mountains is pretty neat also. The State Capitol in Austin has some great statues on the grounds and interesting things inside. Austin also has the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, just south of the campus of The University of Texas. UT has the Harry Ransom Center on campus that frequently has interesting exhibits. LBJ Library, honestly is pretty boring. Washington-on-the-Brazos is the site of Texas Declaration of Independence and is NW of Houston off Hwy 290. Enchanted Rock is a fun place to hike. It is the site where a Texas Ranger held off an Indian war party all by himself. It is west of Fredricksburg, Tx. Speaking of Fredricksburg, Tx, the Admiral Nimitz WW2 Museum is there. Admiral Nimitz was from Fredricksburg. I do believe they have a couple of vintage WW2 Pacific Theater fighter plans, including a Zero if I'm not mistaken.

Have a great trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the middle part of that trip should be rerouted to the north. After Atlanta I would suggest heading northwest to the:

Chickamauga and Lookout Mountain battlefield sites (near Chattanooga, Tennessee) -- I've been to Lookout Mountain, but wish I had spent a day at Chickamauga (this battle fought in September 1863).

Then head west to:

Shiloh (on the Tennessee River near the Mississippi border, between Chattanooga and Memphis) -- (battle fought April 1862) I've been there several times, and it's one of the best American Civil War parks in existence, should not be missed! Because the whole battlefield is government owned, there are no distracting private properties to prevent you from soaking in the historical atmosphere, as at Gettysburg.

Then head southwest to:

Vicksburg -- (siege spring & summer 1863).

As for non-war related sites, I'd just get a guide to the best barbeque joints and eat my way accross the South! The food is a good reason to drive accross the South.

Not sure if you care about things like The Grand Ole Oprey in Nashville, or Elvis Presley's Graceland in Memphis, or Beale Street in Memphis, or the French Quarter in New Orleans, but the music related sites in the South might be of interest to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of places already along your route (just in case you missed them):

Birmingham Civil Rights Institute has an excellent museum and forms the cornerstone of a number of sites in the city related to the Civil Rights Movement.

Fort Pluaski (in Savannah, GA)

Olustee Battlefield is worth a little side trip, but it is an odd battlefield, just a tiny postage stamp size place. I was there in July one weekday some years ago, and although I was there for nearly two hours, I never saw another living soul.

USS Texas in Huston, TX.

I'd also encourage a trip south to New Orleans (which has among many, many sites, the National World War II Museum).

I would also join the other BGGers in encouraging a loop into Tennessee. The battlefield at Shiloh is particularly worth while, but you might be able to work in the battlefields of Chattanooga, Shiloh (it is April anyways, right?), and Murfreesboro (near Nashville) as well as a trip to Memphis. Memphis, like New Orleans, has much to offer (especially in the way of food and music), but also the National Civil Rights Museum is outstanding.

(And I would wholeheartedly agree with Warren that Shiloh is a jewel among battlefields that would reward almost any effort to visit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:

Shiloh (on the Tennessee River near the Mississippi border, between Chattanooga and Memphis) -- (battle fought April 1862) I've been there several times, and it's one of the best American Civil War parks in existence, should not be missed! Because the whole battlefield is government owned, there are no distracting private properties to prevent you from soaking in the historical atmosphere, as at Gettysburg.

I second that, wholeheartedly. Don't miss Shiloh. Dip your hands in the water of Bloody Pond. You'll never be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PvtRizzo wrote:
I second that, wholeheartedly. Don't miss Shiloh. Dip your hands in the water of Bloody Pond. You'll never be the same.

Yes, but do watch out the snapping turtles or your fingers might never be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xmfcnrx wrote:
I'd make a short detour from Savannah to Charleston to make a stop at the Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC., for the best Shrimp & Grits in the World!

Plus the Hunley submarine has just had its truss removed:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45980970/ns/technology_and_scien...

and this special exhibit just opened:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/751000/blasted-acw-proje...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And while in Savannah, you might be interested in the Williams' Home of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" fame/infamy:
http://www.mercerhouse.com/home.htm?CFID=12710354&CFTOKEN=86...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be going right past St. Augustine, FL. Might as well drop in and see the Castillo de San Marcos Fort. If you want to go inside, there is a small admission fee (not sure how much).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_de_San_Marcos

Interesting structure. You can be in and out within a few hours and right back on highway 95.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add one more vote for Chickamauga.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On your way out of San Antonio, you could make a stop in Admiral Nimitz's home town of Fredericksburg to check out the National Museum of the Pacific War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_the_Pacific_...

Ft Bliss in El Paso has a number of museums covering the current tenants of the post and its history. Might be worth a stop.

In Las Cruces you can find the ruins of Fort Selden; once commanded by Douglas MacArthur's father, with the family in residence. It's mainly known for being manned by various units of Buffalo Soldiers. But there's not really much to see.shake

White Sands Missile Range is on the other side of the Organ Mountains that Las Cruces is built up to, there is bound to be a missile museum on the site.

Cruces is where I went to school, so drop by the NMSU student store and grab some gear that I'm sure will be the envy of your friends back home.

If you were coming farther north, there are a few interesting places: the Trinity site where the first atomic bomb was detonated, Ft Sumner where Billy the Kid was shot, and he allegedly is buried, Glorieta Pass where the largest ACW battle west of the Mississippi was fought near Santa Fe. But NM isn't really into their history like they should be and these are mostly second rate sites.

if I think of more I send you a note...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After you visit Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park and the General (just north of Atlanta), take another 90 minute ride up I-75 to visit Cickamauga. The park is wonderful and the visitor center contains a fantastic gun collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:
PvtRizzo wrote:

Yes, but do watch out the snapping turtles or your fingers might never be the same.

Well, yeah, don't bathe in it and I did say that in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, but it is an eerie, extraordinary place. All you guys who know the battle well would surely agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Los Alamos is about 6 hours North of Cruces but it did have an impact on WWII. There is an informative museum there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.