Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
92 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: my 808 bike cam is nearly ready - testing has begun - subscribe for updates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BOCC12 [+] [View All]
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to work this morning to discover I'm not working today. And I am the manager and I do set the rota and I forget to look at it myself. But I should have been working today, I just screwed the rota up.

Anyway, I get home all psyched up to work, so I start re-potting my spider plants, gotta get your priorities right. And then, finally, at long long last, I scrape up a mount for my bike cam. I remembered to get some velcro this week, and with a bit of hardboard and a lot of arsing about, I got a small flat board mounted to the centre of the handle bar.

And just on sunset, I went out for a quick test. I have 2 videos with a lot of camera shake. I'll be uploading them after I've edited the start and finish, for your amusement.

And I am open to suggestions to make a more stable mount. Currently I have a small piece of hardboard on top of some kitchen sponge, held down by stiff wire. The cam has a piece of velcro, the other being on the board, so I can easily pop it on and off. But as you'll see from the videos, any bumps (and there are many) cause a lot of frame drop. I thought the sponge would act as a shock absorber, but since the wire goes through the board, I suppose the energy is going straight from the bar to the board.

No, I cannot fit a gyroscope. But sensible suggestions would help.

I am thinking of getting a new/better/bigger card, and also of moving to the HD #11 808 as discussed before.

And now, off to edit the vids. Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, there is NOTHING to see here. This is purely a test upload. No action. Sorry, just testing the processes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the first test proper, heading into the sunset. There is a lot of frame drop-out and that's an issue. But it gets better right at the end. I suspect it's to do with the light levels, and the heavy shaking. I mean obviously the heavy shaking. But it gets better with more light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed.

What's the tube going diagonally in front of the camera, like this: \ ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the brake cable going up and over to the left brake lever. I need to either move the cam slightly to the left, or tie the cable down a bit, which might impair its effectiveness.

EDIT: actually I could tie the cable down a tad and try to move the cam more to the right. That would put any cable in picture down to the bottom left. Alternately, I can try mounting the cam somewhere else. I have enough velcro to stick it to my helmet. It has a keychain, so I can tie that to the helmet strap, so if it falls off I won't lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot save the 2nd proper test video. Avidemux keeps crashing on me. It opens and edits the file fine, but crashes on a save. Off to try something else, later, it being my dinner time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I vote for Helmet Cam. The brake cable is really distracting. Cute houses in your neighborhood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Cute houses in your neighborhood!

You know, I was just looking at the second test (which you have yet to see but has much clearer images) and thinking Ghod these houses look awful Ghaaaastly red brick everywhere. And then I thought, mind you, somebody will look at these and think they are wonderful. It all depends where you are looking from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Could be worse. When I moved back to the states as a teenager, I used to get lost in the mega suburbs of clapboard houses, all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Macewan
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
That's the brake cable going up and over to the left brake lever.

Just snip it off, you've got two brakes haven't you, you'll be fine with one. Besides when you have a camera on the front, you wont want to slow down, and if things do go pear shaped you will have spectacular footage of the event to show your friends, You've Been Framed, the Coroner etc.

On the wobbly picture front, you can get software that can smooth the footage out, and the results can be very impressive. A colleague of mine at work used some, and made a speeded up footage of some of his rides that looked fantastic.

Dunno what he used specifically, though it was for the Mac, but there are ones for Windows too. A quick google shows there are free examples available like this and the sort if footage it produces looks like this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's true, I don't really use the brakes so I suppose it's OK to cut the cable away. In any case, if I have problems, I won't really be bothered with the video results.

The problem is not shake in the video. It's that the cam cannot capture frames because of the shake. There are a lot of dropped frames (black frames) in the result, so the video effectively freezes and jumps. I think it's just that the cam can't get a stable shot to build a frame, and just keeps trying until it gets one.

I'm trying to use VirtualDub to see if that will fix the video fault I'm having, but it's all a bit complicated and both Virtualdub and Avidemeux are documented by expert users for expert users. So I'm tired and am stopping for tonight.

Tomorrow, a 30 minute test on the way to work in proper daylight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
I vote for Helmet Cam. The brake cable is really distracting. Cute houses in your neighborhood!

This would also stop some of the shaking!
Your body is a great shock-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your next video doesn't look something like this, I'm going to unsubscribe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, my videos look a lot like that.

I'm currently uploading today's 15 minute test. Unfortunately, because my broadband is provided by TalkTalk, it is total shit, and youtube says it will be at least 10 hours to upload a 1mb file.

So please wait.

I've worked out why it shakes so much. The velcro attaches the cam to the board, but it does not actually hold it down. It just rattles around on the velcro like mad. So i just need to pop a band or a wire over the cam and hold it down. that should make it much better.

EDIT : rebooted everything and now it's only 16 hours to upload, at a whacking 18bps. TalkTalk is total shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched your videos and never once did a rampaging wildebeest tackle anybody.

I'm disappointed but I have hopes you'll correct the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a time vortex in Yorkshire you rode through?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyN wrote:

I had assumed that the shaking was down to the cobbled streets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening, TalkTalk is providing an upload rate of 18 mbps. Wow!

So it will take several hours for the two videos to be ready. Today's test was much improved, a much more stable image, but unfortunately for most of the trip I was driving directly towards the winter sun. So the image is badly blown out most of the time. heyho.

But I am pleased and things are improving. There was some heavy frame dropping at 2 points though, so it's not all great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In other news. www.chucklohr.com reports that there is a new version of the HD #11 cam, now labelled as the #16. The Chinese manufacturer has been working with people in the RC hobby to develop a better cam and the hobbyists have coded the interface! It looks to be a better image, and has a swappable internal battery, and lots more features. Plus it's a few bucks cheaper. I definitely want to get a HD cam now.

I do think I want a bigger micro SD card though. I hope that splashing out on a better class and size will help the recording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here are two more tests, the first from Sunday. Yes, it bounces around too much. Feel free to jump to Monday's.

On Monday, I have the cam tied down firmly, with a much better result. Except the winter sun blows the image away. Plus there's some bad frame dropping in places (the picture makes jump cuts). If you get board, just skip to 11:30.

I recorded another test today, but it took an over-night to upload these.

EDIT: Today's video is not much different from yesterday's. The winter sun blows it out, but it's another stable image and I am relatively happy. I do need to get a bigger card, I'm not getting much more that 30 minutes out of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:

That dog at 29 seconds looked like it was going to s**t itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
RoyN wrote:

OMG, it's 2008 in Bristol as well! All of England is affected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Celinashope wrote:

This would also stop some of the shaking!
Your body is a great shock-breaker.

I've been thinking on this. Ideally, I would mount a helmet cam around my right ear. But if I place it flush to the helmet, it would be vertical, and so the image would be rotated 90 degrees. If I mounted it on the top of the helmet, that would be harder to build and arrange, especially without damaging the helmet.

I am not sure it would produce much better results. Certainly, for large bumps I lift off the seat, but for a lot of the smaller impacts, I don't really bother. I was keeping this in mind this morning, and just now, I don't see a big pay off. The videos from mountain bikers are using more expensive cams on properly designed mounts. My cam is 11 bucks and some wire and velcro.

But if I can figure out a good way of mounting it on my helmet, I will consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
RoyN wrote:

He's training for the Paris-Roubaix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.