Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few questions after some plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mariusz Mucha
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I. It's written that gate bursts can't create monster surge. But it's written in the paragraph about sealed locations. On the other hand there cannot be open gate on such locations (I guess moving gates from LatT can't move to sealed ones). So can the gate burst create monster surge at any circumstances?
II. Returning to Arkham during Mythos phase. Sometimes it happens. Does it mean that investigator can try to close the gate during this turn or he has to wait for the next Arkham Encounters phase (it means that any monster present at this location will have to be evaded/defeated before).
III. What about the Dunwich Horror track while Dunwich Horror monster marker is present on the board. Does it fill up and generate terror? And what happens when DH is killed? Do DH track resets or it's stays on whatever position it was?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
flymar wrote:
I. It's written that gate bursts can't create monster surge. But it's written in the paragraph about sealed locations. On the other hand there cannot be open gate on such locations (I guess moving gates from LatT can't move to sealed ones). So can the gate burst create monster surge at any circumstances?

A gate burst only happens when there is a seal - which means that there isn't already a gate at that location. A gate burst can only happen when there is already an open gate. So a gate burst and a monster surge can never happen at the same time as they are tripped by two opposite effects.

Now if you mean can Mythos cards with Red backgrounds on the gate cause a Monster surge if that gate is already open: then the answer is yes. But this isn't technically a "burst" it is just a card that would cause a burst if the conditions were right.

Quote:
II. Returning to Arkham during Mythos phase. Sometimes it happens. Does it mean that investigator can try to close the gate during this turn or he has to wait for the next Arkham Encounters phase (it means that any monster present at this location will have to be evaded/defeated before).

Next turn. Closing happens only during Phase 3. If Phase 5 is what sent you back, then you must wait for the next Phase 3.

The exception would be if the Mythos card specifically gave you permission to close the gate.

Quote:
III. What about the Dunwich Horror track while Dunwich Horror monster marker is present on the board. Does it fill up and generate terror? And what happens when DH is killed? Do DH track resets or it's stays on whatever position it was?

No, the track is completely ignored while the Horror is out. It only starts over once the Horror is gone. Once the Horror is "killed" you start tracking again from the beginning and he can come out again once the 3rd token is placed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Mucha
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for clarification. But the gate burst rule is still little blurry to me
"A gate then opens on that [sealed] location and a monster appears there as usual, but no doom token is added to the AO's doom track, nor does this event cause a monster surge"
Why the monster surge is even mentioned in the rules when it can never happen?

One more question.
* When the investigator returns to Arkham during Mythos phase, or OW Encounter phase does he collect the Clue tokens that on the location of the gate?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
[q="flymar"]Thank you for clarification. But the gate burst rule is still little blurry to me
"A gate then opens on that [sealed] location and a monster appears there as usual, but no doom token is added to the AO's doom track, nor does this event cause a monster surge"
Why the monster surge is even mentioned in the rules when it can never happen?{/q]
I don't know why they listed it out in the rules. It is redundant. Since it was new (at the time), they may have just wanted to make it crystal clear.

Quote:
One more question.
* When the investigator returns to Arkham during Mythos phase, or OW Encounter phase does he collect the Clue tokens that on the location of the gate?

No. There should NOT be a clue here as Open gates force Clue to be discarded. So the situation should not arise.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Mucha
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

No. There should NOT be a clue here as Open gates force Clue to be discarded. So the situation should not arise.

Yes. I reread the rules. The Clue token from Mythos phase can only be placed where there is no gate... the game gets harder and harder
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
flymar wrote:
... the game gets harder and harder

You have no idea! goo
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.