Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Tutwiler
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused (perhaps a *LOT*) about how the hand cards are dealt with.

If cards are used to build routes, are they then set aside like when you buy a technology, or can you use them also for their monetary value?

Under "Buy Private Companies" it is stated that you need the Banking Technology to do so, but the Technology board under Banking says "You may now purchase Major Competitors." So do you need Banking to do both?

What is the dollar value on the left of the Company Value table used for (e.g. $8 for START), if the right-hand values are used to adjust the prices up and down? Under the example on page 11, it says "The value of your own company is also $5." but on the START rung in the example, wouldn't it be $8 (if using the right-hand values)?

Under Draw Event Cards on page 12, it says "You must draw for at least 5 events to occur..." Why would you draw more (voluntarily)?

Under Wrapping Up the Hand, also on page 12, it says "Once all the cards have been dealt..." does this mean you go through the entire deck each turn, most of which will be events?

Under scoring, #10 says "Add any VP listed on any Technology Cards (Warehouses and Stations) if applicable." But on the Technology board Warehouses says "You may now hire Managers." and doesn't mention VPs, though the techs after Warehouses do.

I tried reading an early Session Report, but the game had changed versions since it was posted, and I found myself just getting more confused!

Thanks for any help you can offer, the game looks promising, but I can't play it yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
NewbieGamingDad wrote:
I'm a little confused (perhaps a *LOT*) about how the hand cards are dealt with.

Welcome to the game! It was my first major design and as it has been some years since I worked on it, I'm going on memory. Here we go...

Quote:

If cards are used to build routes, are they then set aside like when you buy a technology, or can you use them also for their monetary value?

Correct!

Quote:

Under "Buy Private Companies" it is stated that you need the Banking Technology to do so, but the Technology board under Banking says "You may now purchase Major Competitors." So do you need Banking to do both?

Yes.

Quote:

What is the dollar value on the left of the Company Value table used for (e.g. $8 for START), if the right-hand values are used to adjust the prices up and down? Under the example on page 11, it says "The value of your own company is also $5." but on the START rung in the example, wouldn't it be $8 (if using the right-hand values)?

If I remember right, it is exclusive going up the side of the board. I think it is for moving up or down in cost but the true value is on the right.

Quote:

Under Draw Event Cards on page 12, it says "You must draw for at least 5 events to occur..." Why would you draw more (voluntarily)?

There may be good events if you are feeling lucky and counting cards.

Quote:

Under Wrapping Up the Hand, also on page 12, it says "Once all the cards have been dealt..." does this mean you go through the entire deck each turn, most of which will be events?

Yes.

Quote:

Under scoring, #10 says "Add any VP listed on any Technology Cards (Warehouses and Stations) if applicable." But on the Technology board Warehouses says "You may now hire Managers." and doesn't mention VPs, though the techs after Warehouses do.

I honestly can't remember this one. When in doubt, run with the tech board.

Quote:

I tried reading an early Session Report, but the game had changed versions since it was posted, and I found myself just getting more confused!

Understandable as the game went through considerable refinement over the years...

Quote:

Thanks for any help you can offer, the game looks promising, but I can't play it yet!

Make sure you get the version over at www.jkntech.com. The one here may not be completely up to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets see. Been a while but here goes till Jack can chime in with how wrong I am on all this... whistle (And he actually beat me to posting too! cry )

1: Cards used are deducted from your final $ total.

2: You need Banking to Purchase companies. Private or Public. Public companies must also be in the red before you can try.

3: The $ at the right are showing you how much the diffrence in loss or gain is. Note that they are in the median between the sections.

4: Sometimes you might want to press your luck for that the 11th hour win where otherwise you would have lost. To push ahead or try to get some beneficial event.

5: Means once all cards dealt from hand and from events. Some events require you to draw more cards to resolve the event. (Got this one wrong)

6: I believe that is a holdover from a rules/wording change.

7: Probably one of my session reports if you were left confused. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.