Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my 3rd play of this game, and can't resist putting virtual pen to paper to record how impressed I am - early though it certainly yet is.

I played twice solo last night, lost the first and won the second. Dice rolls for fire advance in game 1 were awful - out of 6 rolls, 2 landed on the same (fire) square, and another 2 on an adjacent (fire) square. The house was half demolished before I'd rescued more than 1 victim.

But in game 2 that settled down and I managed 9 rescues before the house collapsed. The randomness factor seems about right to me, more replays will tell.

So both of those were solo, with one firefighter. Today I played with my partner and our 8 year old. Basic rules again, but I will move up from those next game I play (still - for our larger group, which includes gamers of all sorts of levels of experience, it's great to have an "introductory" level to get the ball rolling; and this game even seems to allow a modular approach to adding the more complex rules if you wish - nice).

We had a poor start. The first 4 POIs turned out to be false alarms. Who shuffled these? Paul, we're looking at you... Ooops.

So I was resigned to trouble, not least because the fire advance seemed 90% confined to 2 diagonally opposite parts of the board (just about nothing in the top right/bottom left) and structural damage was mounting. Now regretting the wall chopping I started the game with - doubly so given that I did it for a false alarm.

Gradually we started to make progress. Plainly extra players give you access to different parts of the buildings that bit more easily, and one at a time we started to score the rescues.

Mum ends up in the sitting room (top left, for want of a better description) which is almost full of fire, but she is carrying a victim and narrowly escapes a nearby explosion (I can see the slo-mo effects in the movie here laugh) and plods determinedly towards the western door.

Meanwhile I'm carrying the 7th rescuee, and if the 2 of us can make it outside, we've won, against the odds.

Explosion. We're down to one (count it!) damage token.

To win, all 3 of us need to complete our turns without any damage tokens being added.

Son and mum roll just the right spots - smoke added, nothing else, and mum completes her rescue. My turn and I stagger out of the house with No. 7 for victory.

Can't resist the last roll: an explosion, of course. The house collapses in a sheet of flame as I throw No. 7 towards the paramedics. Roll credits. Oscars on the way.

We all loved it, and I'm sure it'll see a good bit of play. We'll try it with our group of 6 on Monday - I plan one game basic, then we'll move up to proper rules. Suspect I'll slot in another solo bash before.

Great game. I like co-ops, anyway, but this scratches the itch just so for me. Tense, fun, quick, thematic. Hot stuff. Ouch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.