4 Posts

K2» Forums » General

Subject: So how do kids find this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Boutet
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got K2 and the expansion in the mail. Looks great but I'm not sure how my 11 & 7 yr old's will take to it. I was thinking of doing a solo/co-op variant with the oldest girl to help her get the hang of it and see if it sparks some interest with the other daughter. Anybody try this and how do kids find this game in general?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco nwitdg
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With my nephew-in-law (11) works great! I tried the base version without the expansion. I don't think that a custom variant worth your efforts: try the vanilla version before. Just take a look of some correction/clarification of the rules here in the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got K2 as a Christmas gift this year. We (the family) have played twice so far, both times including my 10-year old son. He's been playing "real" board games for some years and has no difficulty with either rules or tactics in reasonably complex games - e.g. he takes Puerto Rico in his stride and trounced me today at the Settlers Card Game. However he's very competitive and can lose motivation, particularly in a more demanding game (unless its one of his favourites), if he feels (rightly or wrongly) that he is losing with little chance of recovery.

He won our first game of K2, but there were a couple of fraught moments in the second game when he felt that he'd played sub-optimally through not sufficiently thinking through what others ahead of him were likely to do. Nevertheless he enjoyed both games and the strong thematic elements help to maintain the fun level even when not doing well.

K2 is not difficult for a child to grasp but it can punish you if you don't think ahead a bit and I'd guess its success with children would depend on how well they can do this and how they react to making a mistake. We've not tried it as a co-op but it would be quite easy to do and I'd imagine might be a good introduction. Even in the competitive version we found ourselves congratulating other players who made impressive progress up the mountain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boutet
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Finally got a chance to try it out solo. Pretty easy to learn and set up. I love how the risk tokens and acclimatization work. As mentioned in reviews, getting to the top can be pretty hard depended on how those weather tiles are arranged. Managed to get one token to the top on the last day of my second game. Thought it would be interesting to see how they would fair getting down with the winter tiles. Things got a bit dicey for a few days as they waited in their tent for a break in the weather.

I'll have to give the hard side a try next. Hopefully, I can set up a game with the girls this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.