Mark Rosado
United States
East Stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
2nd Lieutenant United States Army
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a picture of my first game which didnt ended really well.

This was my first game, learning the rules and playing with the Tactics Deck. The Game Ended with me having a final threat value of 53. I must have had a bad shuffling or bad luck in the last 5 card draws. As you can see in the picture, I had drew Location Cards one after the other and a treachery card as being the final card. Even if I was committing all my heroes to the quest, I just didnt have enough willpower to overcome the threat.

Is there any way for me to get out of this mess? Even if I had committed all my heroes to the quest, I still was only able to muster 4 willpower. The only card I saw in the deck that would have helped me probably would have been gandalf with a willpower of 4. But he was at the very bottom of my deck. Has anyone had similar plays like this? This felt really broken as there was really no way for me to climb out of the hole.

I'm going to try it again, this time having my girlfriend shuffle my deck for good luck next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not use the mono-sphere Tactics deck!

Start out with Spirit or Leadership. Use 3 copies of Gandalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, it can be very tough to win a solo game with the Core Set Tactics deck. As you found out, it just can't marshal very much willpower for questing (maximum of 5 with Beorn out or 9 with Gandalf, but only for a single turn). Your only hope is probably to get lucky, draw a steady stream of enemies, and accumulate progress through Legolas's ability.

I would echo the recommendation that you try the Leadership or Spirit deck for your first solo games. Both decks--particularly Leadership--are pretty well-balanced, and will allow you to explore the game mechanics without getting swamped by locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rosado
United States
East Stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
2nd Lieutenant United States Army
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for your advice, I've played several games using the tactics deck, and its brutal, no wins yet.. i'm determined to win. I'll give those other decks a shot and hope for a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're determined to stick with just tactics, be aware some of the cards added in the expansion packs help tactics decks a lot, since they add allies with willpower.

It is possible to win against some scenarios with a core set tactics deck, but it is certainly hard, even for an experienced player.

I have produced a few scenarios, and one of them (Orcs!) is certainly doable with the core set tactics deck. They can be dowloaded from the BGG Files section or from my website at jrd.eu5.org/lotr_cardgame/lotr_cardgame.html.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Heh, I just had nearly the exact same experience with my first game just now. I did draw gandalf on the first draw however which delayed my threat overload by a turn. I lost at a threat level of 55—-at the time of losing, I had drawn a total of 9 locations, 4 of which I was able to complete thanks to legolas, but I didn't even get a single progress token on the main quest card. I was able to kill 5 enemies, but there seems to be just no way to clear locations if you get a string of them, fast enough to prevent losing from threat level. Two or three willpower does little to slow down 8 threat in locations alone in the staging area, and you can only travel to one at a time.

Apparently you can only win with a tactics deck by getting lucky draws. Hopefully there's something more to this game with the other decks, otherwise maybe I can just flip a couple coins instead and declare a win if I can get two tails--take a lot less table space, and think of all the time I could save, all while enjoying the same amount of 'fun.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.