Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Say there are just three units on the map, a German tank and two US infantry units.

On its turn, the tank shoots and suppresses one unit. German's turn over.

Now the US player leaves its building and moves 4 spaces in the open and then into the space with the tank to close assault.

Now what? Does the US infantry have to make a morale check? Does it just roll one 10d and if it gets a 6 or less the tank is destroyed? Or does the tank get an Op Fire shot? Does it matter if the US unit approaches from the front or back?

And what do the rules mean by "The unit must survive all fire in the hex with the tank"? In this case, German fire from another unit?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The US unit had to take a morale check before moving, that's it.

The tanks does not get an Op Fire shot because it is used.

Yes, it must roll less than or equal to its firepower, but gets a +1 if the tank is not open topped.

Quote:
And what do the rules mean by "The unit must survive all fire in the hex with the tank"? In this case, German fire from another unit?

Yes, fire from other units trying to stop it.

Keep infantry near your tanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks. Can't wait to get my copy of the game! (Ordered from NWS a week ago.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to start a new topic (because I've been doing enough of that lately) so I thought I would post in a related thread - is there any difference, stats or game mechanic wise, for turreted vs. turreted AFVs like the StuGIII included in the game?

Obviously the armour values are baked in, probably incorporating the difficulty of hitting lower vehicles, but there doesn't seem to be any other distinction made.

I thought there might be something with the "free turn to engage units outside the firing arc", but I don't see anything in that rule that addresses assault guns specifically.

Comment?

I'm guessing, given previous answers, it's a intentional design decision to reduce complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim says that this sort of thing is incorporated in the Proficiency ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, depending on the design and the crew, I lowered the proficiency rating by 1 or 2 if it was non-turreted. This is a general rule, of course, and obviously is not applied equally to open topped vehicles.

This makes it harder for them to respond to a threat outside their covered arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Vandenberg
Canada
Petawawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules state an infantry unit needs to roll equal to or less than it's "melee" firepower...when close assaulting a vehicle.
In melee, units roll 2 X D10...so, does that translate to their "melee" firepower? Or, do they simply need to roll their firepower or less on 1D10 when close assaulting vehicles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They only roll one die, but use their melee firepower - WTs were not normally used for close assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Vandenberg
Canada
Petawawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seen! Thanks, and yes, you really don't want to use wt's for tank assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:

Yes, fire from other units trying to stop it.

Keep infantry near your tanks!

Hey, did this rule change? I saw another thread saying they thought op fire was going to be allowed against infantry entering a hex with a friendly vehicle, but I didn't see errata or a thread saying it actually changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it was always my intent for you to be able to fire at infantry that enters a hex with your vehicle. You may not fire, however, into a infantry melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Actually, it was always my intent for you to be able to fire at infantry that enters a hex with your vehicle. You may not fire, however, into a infantry melee.

Ah! Does that mean the fire restrictions under 6.0 should say something like, "Units may not fire into a hex containing friendly units, unless the friendly unit is a vehicle?"

(That is, infantry can op fire at infantry doing a close assault; guns and vehicles can too?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule currently says:

Quote:
Units may not fire into a hex containing friendly
units, but may fire through a hex containing
enemy or friendly units (or both).

In the revision of the rules that I am marking up with clarifications it will say:

Quote:
Units may not fire into a hex containing friendly
infantry or guns, but may fire through a hex containing
enemy or friendly units (or both).

Unless someone can find a hole in that wording, that should allow you to fire at those attempting to close assault a vehicle, but not an infantry melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.