Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Damage confusion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Hochderffer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi a friend of mine recently purchased The Legend of Drizzt game from our interest in the book series, but we are total noobs when it comes to some of the rules, some clarification would be nice here if possible as we are hoping to play tonight with a small group of friends and we're unclear on how damage works! As far as the damage works I think you roll the d20 and then add damage modifiers such as Drizzt's sword, however on the card it says something along the lines of attack +6 and damage 1 and if you roll an 18 or higher the attack does an extra point of damage, but that's where what i think i know stops, as from there say I roll a 15 on the dice and the monster has 16AC and 3 hp hypothetically, would i add the +6 to my roll of 15 making it 21 and then attack with one damage? and then would i be able to use both of my swords in one attack? I know he can attack twice but it wold seem a bit over powered to use both icingdeath and twinkle at the same time in an attack, and on top of the sword(s) would i be able to use additional on attack effects such as a card for +2 damage so long as it doesn't say use instead of attack phase? or would i use that in place of the sword(s). any input would be much appreciated, thanks in advance i'll be poking my head back in ont he forums every now and then today through my cleaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an example. At the start of your attack, choose an attack power. For the sake of argument, let's say you are level 2 Drizzt fighting a Feral Troll. The troll has an armor class of 12 and 4 hit points. Drizzt chooses to attack with Twinkle and rolls a 6. You take 6 on the dice +6 bonus for Twinkle, making a total of 12. Since this equals the troll's armor class, it hits and does 1 damage, leaving the troll with 3 hit points remaining.

Drizzt has a second attack ability, so for his next attack he chooses Icingdeath. Let's say by luck Drizzt rolls a 20. Take 20 on the dice and add +6 bonus for Icingdeath, making a total of 26 which well exceeds the troll's armor, so it lands a hit. Icingdeath has a normal damage value of 1, and there is a +1 bonus for rolling 18 or better, and level 2 heroes also get a +1 bonus for rolling a 20, making the total damage 3. This knocks down the trolls remaining hit points, and the troll is defeated. Grab its treasure.

As an alternate example, let's say Drizzt only rolled a 16 on the second attack. It would still hit the troll, but the damage would only be 1. However, if Drizzt happened to have the Belt of Storm Giant Strength he could use that to add +2 damage (because it takes effect after Drizzt lands a hit) for a total of 3, which is still enough to take out the troll. Of course in that case, the Belt would be flipped over and could not be used again unless restored by fortune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hochderffer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for the clarification, I was a bit confused and the rule book wasn't too specific on damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.