Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hornberger
United States
lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How often will the game end by emptying 3 supply piles in 2 player? I have played 20+ games 2 player and it seems that it always ends by buying all Provinces, we never come close to emptying even one supply pile. Is this just the nature of 2 players? Maybe we played a setup or rule wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends largely on the Kingdom setup.

You're more likely to empty supply piles if:

1. You're playing with a curse-giver like Witch
2. You're playing with an alternate victory card like Gardens
3. You're playing with expansions, especially Intrigue.

That said, with 2 players it's almost always a Province game, especially with the Base set only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logicfray wrote:
How often will the game end by emptying 3 supply piles in 2 player? I have played 20+ games 2 player and it seems that it always ends by buying all Provinces, we never come close to emptying even one supply pile. Is this just the nature of 2 players? Maybe we played a setup or rule wrong?

i'd say 15-20% of the time. play with a curser and it's pretty easy. play with a gainer (border village, remodel) and it's pretty easy. play with something that masses well (alchemist, caravan, fishing village) and it's pretty easy. note: i have 3k+ games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
'Rarely' is indeed the right answer in my experience, although the Dominion obsessives on Isotropic seem to end games on 3 piles more often than I do.

If you're talking about playing only the base game without expansions, then very rarely would indeed be the case. It's difficult to think of a layout where 2 good players would end the game on piles. Maybe Witch/Gardens, something like that, but that's rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
It can happen pretty often. Someone above estimated 15-20%, and that sounds about right to me based on my experiences.

But the caveat, especially with regards to newer players is that it usually doesn't happen by accident. The 15-20% comes from players who have the experience to look at a the current game state and see how a 3-pile ending can result in a victory (can I end the game with a lead right now, can I end the game in 2-3 turns while acquiring or maintaining a lead , can I pursue a 3-pile strategy from the get-go that will outrace my opponent's strategy, etc..) But if neither player knows what to look for, the only time it'll happen is by accident, and that is indeed rare.

The other caveat is that it becomes much more likely with expansions into the mix. The base set doesn't include a ton of cheap spammable cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have been warned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.