Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Fritzsche
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everybody,
my girlfriend and I just tried agricola last night. It was just a two player game and I thought it was kinda fun but also very overwhelming. I didn't do too bad, but I can't really say that there was any greater plan in what i was doing. My girlfriend barely got positive points
We bouth see a great potential in this game but don't really know how to get a better grip on it. The whole game just felt really fast for me. The rounds just flew by and it allways felt like I needed to do everything immediately. There just simply was no "later" and from the first round on i had the feeling that I didn't do enought! For example the occupation and minor investment cards... we bouth definitely knew what our cards would do and how they worked, but we had absolutely no idea how to play them in a smart way. So we basically just played a card whenever we felt it was time to! We felt similar about the major investment cards, althought I think those are more essential to get more food as your family grows!
How would you recommend playing the first agricola game, or how do you even play it with beginners? Would you recommend the family version first or do you explain some strategies you could follow? Do you play with the whole deck of cards (for that amount of players)? Because we did. I went through the deck before we played and didn't feel like there was any great difference between the expert, komplex or beginners cards. But maybe there is though, because like I said we had absolutely no idea how to make a clever use of them!
I hope you guys can give us some tips cause this looks like a great game and we certainly want to enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd recommend a few family games. Get a handle on how to build a food engine to feed your family -- once you can do that efficiently, you'll have more actions (and a better idea) for using cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, family version first.

The Family Game is NOT a patronising 'take it gently' sort of game, like beginners' versions of other games. It's every bit as interactive and challenging as the full thing. And it will help you get a handle on some decent strategies first without worrying about the cards.

I nearly scared off my wife for good by introducing the full game too quickly. Now, of course, she's an obsessive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of strategy threads here that you might want to look at... but you will ALWAYS feel you are just behind the curve or need one more round.

Generally the food engine is very important. Some times the cards will point you towards being a meat eater, or bread eater. There are other options to get food as well... for example eating wood or getting cards the allow you to get much more food when you fish.

Once you get your food engine you want to try to fill your farm and eliminate negative points.. which means 2 fields, 1 of pretty much every other thing that give you scores, and no empty farm spaces. From there, how will you get more points... stone house, improvements, bonus points, etc.

As you play you will learn to maximize actions and also points per action.

Enjoy the ride.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we never played the family version. i suggesting using the beginners cards only until you know all of them by name.

if you want an easier game (resulting in higher points / satisfaction) i suggest one or all of the following:
- everyone starts with one occupation in play (pick one of yours after cards are dealt)
- everyone starts with 1 field already plown
- everyone starts with 1 building resource of his choice

if you're not already overwhelmed by the amount of cards, you could deal 10 (instead of 7) occupations and improvements per player, so you have a greater choice during the game.

in any case, i would also advise to go back to the original game rules as soon as you feel comfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an experienced teacher, but FWIW I play the advanced game and deal 2 cards to each player, then have everyone draw 1 of each card at the beginning of turns 1-5. I find that the biggest source of being overwhelmed and APed - beyond the scoring, which is also relatively complex in the family version - is card choice, not the actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.