Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With no randomness this has to be the ultimate choice for a PBEM game as there is no need for one person to act as an overseer or anything. Imperial/Imperial 2030 can both be played online but Antike can't as there is no platform on which to play it.

Would anyone like a game? 4/5 players ideally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How hard is it to learn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite easy in that there are only 7 different actions you can do in a turn and 3 of them are production which is the same which ever good you are producing (marble, gold, iron). There are a few things which make it almost a reuirement that you have a map in front of you simply so you can follow where everyone else is on the board.

It's just one of my favourite games ever and is the perfect game for PBEM, check out the page on here for Antike if you like; there may even be rules sets loaded onto there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested. I own a copy of the game but have only managed to get it to the table once. Seems to be a lot of fun and I agree it should work well for PBEM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for it, but unavailable 21st-30th due to games con trip.

email me if it starts & make me last player - that'd give me time t oget home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so format? Player numbers?

I'd suggest since nothing is hidden in the game and all players need to follow what has happened we should just post all moves in this thread, assuming that is ok with the moderators (which I can't see why it wouldn't be).

Should we all be aiming to take a turn a day between us or a turn a day each? A turn a day each may mean we log in several times and find out its not our turn. Whereas a turn a day might take 3/4 months which is mental especially seeing as the turns are each so quick.

Also for simplicity I tend to replace 'recieve one coin every time it is the start players turn' with 'recieve one coin at the start of every one of your own turns'. It still means you get one coin every round but I find it easier to manage... dunno which way you guys like to do it?

I reckon we should aim for four or five if possible...

Currently looks like Julian, Ron and Myself are in so if anyone or two players would like to post here we can start as soon as we're agreed on rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for trying to get in one move a day each. It's looking promising since we have one guy in the UK, one in Australia and I'm on the east coast of the US, so we are in radically different time zones.

Your plan for the coin works for me.

Yes, one or two more players would be good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted into the Antike forums about this...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8291204

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up, I'll play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so thats four, awesome. Since we seem happy with four or five and Julians away until the 30th shall we agree to start then? Gives people a few days to join as the fifth player if they like and gives us all a chance to formalise how were doing all this. If we sit in order so that we are

Myself, both American guys, Julian

Then that gives us the best chance of speeding through things with respect to the time zones being helpful. I was wondering whether you Americans might be on opposite coasts but you're the same state no less! If a fifth player came in from say Germany it would make sense for them to sit before me.

Randomising who is which nation is the only luck element in the game, how can we randomise sensibly/fairly? We could just have one person pick and trust that person... or we could use the 'roll' button on this forum?

Do we need to sort any other rules?

Editted; Joseph Ellis is our fifth player. He's also American and also from the Eastern half of the USA so I'd be guessing same time zone? If we slot him in before Julian then I guess we're set when rules are agreed?

Should we post all moves in this forum as I suggested earlier? And would people mind what colour they are on each others boards? Personally I can't think it matters in the slightest as long as we remember who is who (I'll have a little tray/bag for each players colour and stick a name tag on it) but if you guys would rather colour co-ordinate then thats cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm good with whatever color. Nice to meet you all by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Joseph is in the same time zone as me and Nate. Nate's a gaming buddy of mine and I invited him to join.

I would like to use the forums. We could start a thread in the play by forum area of Antike.

We have to pick a map. I have played on both now (played Wednesday night with 3 players on the middle east map) I think I prefer to play the Med. map, but if others prefer the other it doesn't matter much to me.

I am ok with any color. For choosing nations, I guess the 'roll' button would work. How about like this: low roll is Greece, followed by Romans, Germanic, Phoenicians and Carthaginians in ascending order? Or if the other map: Greeks, Persians, Arabs, Phoenicians, Egyptians in ascending order.

I agree we should wait to start after the 30th.

The most interactive problem would probably be moving without wanting to fight. Since the opposing player can chose to fight, this will take some time as we deal with each piece that moves. Late in the game this is going to slow things down quite a bit. Maybe we should add a 'binding temporary peace treaty' rule? You ask if it's ok to move into/through your opponents territory and if they agree then you are safe for that turn? If they disagree then combat is automatic. I'm open to suggestions on how to deal with this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be helpful to have a standardized template for move posts. Something like this, perhaps:

---------------------------

+1 coin

Action: [for Marble/Iron/Gold you state how much you received]
[for Temple you say where you build]
[for Arming you say where each unit is built]
[for Know-How you say what know-how(s) you obtain]
[for Maneuver you say which pieces are moved, from where, to where. Then you say if a Conquest action has taken place]

Founding Cities: [say what cities, if any, you founded this turn]

Winning Ancient Personages: [say what APs, if any, you obtained]

End of turn resources: [list all of your Marble/Iron/Gold/Coins]

Cities: [list all of your cities]

Military: [list all of your Legions and Galleys and where they are]

----------------------------

It might also be helpful if one of us could post a photo of the board after each set of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
I'm good with whatever color. Nice to meet you all by the way.

Hi Joe,

I don't see Antike in your collection. Have you played it before? Do you have access to the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry. I don't "officially" own it but I have had a friend's borrowed copy for years. It's one of my favorite games and I've played many times. :) Note how it is #2 in my top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, glad to hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rocksnrolls wrote:
[for Maneuver you say which pieces are moved, from where, to where. Then you say if a Conquest action has taken place]

May I also just add in "From where, through (up to two places potentially), to where", this way there can be a presumed peace as was mentioned until someone says hang on you moved through my place and I'm not happy about that! I think moving through somewhere and not wanting to fight is unusual but in the event that it happens perhaps a period of 24 hours notice would make sense? I can't see it happening more than once or twice in the whole game

But yes otherwise Ron I absolutely agree the standardized template makes sense and I think recieving +1 coin at the start of every turn rather than the start of every round makes life easier for PBEM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, any updates? Can't wait to play with you all. Gotta head down to the dark basement soon where I'll have room to set this up and leave it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so Turn order to maximise the use of time zones and randomizing which order the Americans sit in (since we have to make some decisions on this before we start) comes out as...

Me
Ron
Joe
Nate
Julian

Randomizing which side of the board we're playing gives us the Western Map on a 1-3 of a D6 and the Eastern Map on a 4-6, I will attach a D6 to this thread

1d6 = (6) = 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern Map it is then. That's probably for the best with English speakers as it's all nicely laid out in English for us. There are 5 Nations in play so these are Greeks (Starting at Athenae, Pella and Dryachion), Phoenicians (starting at Tyros, Paphos and Antiochia), Persians (starting at Persepolis, Rhagai and Charax), Egyptions (starting at Thebae, Ammonion and Cyrene... additionally the player that draws the egyptians will be start player) and lastly the Arabs (starting at Saba, Adane and Moscha)

So in that exact order I will attach a D10 to my post and 1-2 will be Greek, 3-4 Phoenician, 5-6 Persian, 7-8 egyptian, 9-10 Arab. The next players to post and draw one can randomise in the same way.

1d10 = (7) = 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm Egyptian making me start player, I promise that wasn't a fix lol though it doesn't offer a huge advantage. Next person to post attach a D4 to your post by clicking roll on the right just above this box and selecting the D4.

1 is Greeks,
2 is Phoenicians,
3 is Persians,
4 is Arabs

Then the last two selections can be determined using a D3 (which is going to have to be done with a roll of a D6) and then a simple 50:50 chance on the remaining 2; that can obviously be sorted with any of the various dice rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go: 1d4 = (2) = 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 99948. joepinion
  • 1d4 =
  • (2) =
  • Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 am
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
Here we go: joepinion previously rolled 1d4 = (2) = 2

That makes me the Phoenecians. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so of the other 3 remaining players roll a D6 and on a...

1-2 is Greeks,
3-4 is Persians,
5-6 is Arabs

Then the 4th to reply can roll off for the last 2 and we're ready to begin, it's rather convenient Julian being last player as he did say he'll be away until the 30th

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll roll next.

1d6 = (4) = 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 100368. hatemachine
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.