Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Variants

Subject: Strengthening the French rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You'd only have 14 cards in hand

My mistake.. blush

Quote:
Without using home support and intendent, you could pull your reserve and have 10 cards in hand, plus an extra action and 2 coins,

This is also true. Attacking in this game is about striking with as much force as possible at once, which is actually quite ingenious.

- Home support (3 cards)
- intendant
- home support (3 cards)
- gain reserves in hand (5 cards)
- trader for a cabillion

Next turn:
- Lay Seige with siege
- reenforce with military leader
- reenforce with infantry

Next turn:
- double inf reenforce


Problem is all of this is pointless with with the existence of the governor.

Something I've been thinking about: what if you could not governor starting locations unless they had been successfully sieged?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:
I would like the following rule:


"When there is a British siege in play, the French hand size increases to cards". Give it some thematic justification that it inspires the home country to support them or something.

This would be only when the british are attacking the french, not when the french initiate.

This wouldnt overpower the french in normal situations, only when defending against the hammer.

This is needed because the french have more junky cards and their money engine requires more cards to run than the british. If youre holdign a Coureurs in hand to counteract their Rangers, if hampers your money engine as French, but the British engine is only 3 cards and is still fine.
The all important value is missing from your sentence. Increases two cards, or increases to ... some higher value?


Argh. "Increases to 6 cards".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Quote:
You'd only have 14 cards in hand
My mistake.. blush

Quote:
Without using home support and intendent, you could pull your reserve and have 10 cards in hand, plus an extra action and 2 coins,
This is also true. Attacking in this game is about striking with as much force as possible at once...
I disagree. This may be true on Yucata, because they have not yet implemented siege withdrawal, but when played properly, it's all about deck density. British deck just has much greater military density. Meaning, per card (or per action) the amount of military the British has is much higher. This is how they can win sieges even when the French might have more total military.

In a real game, I will almost always initiate a siege with an unfortified location card to bait a response. If they pull their reserve... LOL! If they pull their reserve and lay down siege artillery... ROFLMAO!! Then I just withdraw and lay siege again. (This tactic is, unfortunately, not available on Yucata.)

On Yucata, when my opponent puts all their units in the reserve, I initiate a siege, forcing them to pull the reserve, I might even sacrifice a unit to do so. Then I just merchant/trade and redraft to build back up, meanwhile my opponent's deck is all busted up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
out4blood wrote:
[q="Alexfrog"]I would like the following rule:


"When there is a British siege in play, the French hand size increases to cards". Give it some thematic justification that it inspires the home country to support them or something.

This would be only when the british are attacking the french, not when the french initiate.

This wouldnt overpower the french in normal situations, only when defending against the hammer.

This is needed because the french have more junky cards and their money engine requires more cards to run than the british. If youre holdign a Coureurs in hand to counteract their Rangers, if hampers your money engine as French, but the British engine is only 3 cards and is still fine.
The all important value is missing from your sentence. Increases two cards, or increases to ... some higher value?
Equally mysterious!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, you edited
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I disagree. This may be true on Yucata, because they have not yet implemented siege withdrawal, but when played properly, it's all about deck density. British deck just has much greater military density. Meaning, per card (or per action) the amount of military the British has is much higher. This is how they can win sieges even when the French might have more total military.

I was speaking specifically about the French. Because the French have no chance to win a war of attrition, they have to strike hard and instant. If the Brits are able to draw the conflict out, they win because of their deck density, and sheer number of RI units.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. This may be true on Yucata, because they have not yet implemented siege withdrawal, but when played properly, it's all about deck density. British deck just has much greater military density. Meaning, per card (or per action) the amount of military the British has is much higher. This is how they can win sieges even when the French might have more total military.

I was speaking specifically about the French. Because the French have no chance to win a war of attrition, they have to strike hard and instant. If the Brits are able to draw the conflict out, they win because of their deck density, and sheer number of RI units.
See, I think this is completely backwards.

The French deck is at it's best in a protracted siege, while it's the British who are better at building up for a big strike, because they can do a better job of cycling cards through their deck while building up money and reserving troops.

In a siege at Pemaquid, for example, given their starting deck, the French can put 6 points on the siege (RA, L, Q, M, and PR), while still maintaining a $6 money engine. The British can only put 2 points on the siege while maintaining their $6 money engine. If they put down any more, they will drop down to $3 per action. This is why I beat most inexperienced HH players. They don't know how to defend the initial siege without throwing down their money engine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In a siege at Pemaquid, for example, given their starting deck, the French can put 6 points on the siege (RA, L, Q, M, and PR),

By big, this is exactly what I'm saying. The French have to win by having more AVAILABLE before the british. It's about readiness, like guerrilla warfare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin might need to nerf the siege mechanic. Maybe, for example, a siege on Quebec, Boston or new York only ends the game but doesn't determine the winner. The winner is the one with the most points.

Either that or give seiges an upkeep cost. The attacker pays 2 coins as an upkeep cost. The upkeep cost is paid at the end of the attacker's every turn until the siege ends. If the attacker is unable to pay, then the siege ends immediately with a defender's victory (ie. the attacker returns an empire card in his siege pile to the empire deck). This is to simulate the real cost of waging war (ie. cost of sending supply down the line, paying the men wages etc.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That then becomes weird, as you may be in a good position to siege Quebec but losing in points... which means, taking Quebec (the point of the entire war) will actually lose you the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the French go for an all out settle blitz strategy, this may be true, but after losing Nova Scotia, the French are usually down in points anyway...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The siege tax is an interesting idea; one that may not have even been proposed before.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It has
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it has.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
It has

I don't quite recall where it was posted before. Mind showing me the link please as I don't think I want to shift through pages of posts. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
out4blood wrote:
It has

I don't quite recall where it was posted before. Mind showing me the link please as I don't think I want to shift through pages of posts. Thanks.
Yea, I do, because it would involve me shifting through pages of posts to find it, just to what? Prove that it had been mentioned previously? No thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:

Either that or give seiges an upkeep cost. The attacker pays 2 coins as an upkeep cost. The upkeep cost is paid at the end of the attacker's every turn until the siege ends. If the attacker is unable to pay, then the siege ends immediately with a defender's victory (ie. the attacker returns an empire card in his siege pile to the empire deck). This is to simulate the real cost of waging war (ie. cost of sending supply down the line, paying the men wages etc.)

No one would ever be able to seige successfully with this. Seiges dont end fast if both players know what they are doing. They are very drawn out and result in both players putting most of their decks and available military into them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |