Subject: Norse and French rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard White

North Potomac
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
My understanding of the rules tells me that the Norse and French Knights enter the game via the draw pool, coming in at a combat value of one like other units. Since these units represent "outside forces", wouldn't it make more sense that they enter the game at full strength? The other outside forces,the Welsh and Ulster units, enter via the feudal levy at full strength. Just sayin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all scottish units enter with one strength and have to be upgraded, while all english units enter with full strength but have to cross the border.

If you want to change the rules, so that those two enter at full strength - how do you want to balance it? Fewer recruitment points in general for the scots? More for the english?

Also, the full strength Welsh and Ulster blocks are a constant danger when using them, since they are unrelieable..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:

Also, the full strength Welsh and Ulster blocks are a constant danger when using them, since they are unrelieable..

I often send them to hold an area so that the Scots can't retreat. I try only to send them into combat when their loss is not really a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, your opponent doesn't know, if they are english infantry or ulster/welsh. And if they fight, they fight good (C3) - so maybe you are lucky?

Anyway: I've played yesterday and won the first scenario with the scots conquering the whole of scotland. The slow "build-up" in the north works good and is balanced, I assume. The French Knights and the Norse are not only very strong - they can die "finally"; so I like the decision, if I put them into a fight at only half strength, or if I can afford to wait another turn to strengthen them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.