Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Moore
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everyone, I was looking to get my first big shiny game. I'm looking for something that plays well with 2, but could also play more, and doesn't have a ridiculous learning curve. Or at least something that eases players in. It would be nice if it played under a few hours too, but with some convincing maybe something longer would be in order. My usual gaming partner is mostly open to anything, but I'd like to avoid anything Warhammeresque. Replayability is a big factor as well.

Here's a few that I was considering:
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Star Trek: Fleet Captains
Mage Knight Board Game
Mansions of Madness

But I'm open to just about any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There are a LOT of "big games" out there so it's going to take a little more input on what you and your friends like before you'll get good recommendations.

I'd suggest Agricola in the Eurogame category but I see you have Agricola up for trade so I assume you've tried that already.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is another good "big game" to try and it plays well with 2+. It's a longer game which may be a mark against it for some but once you learn the game it's definitely a very good experience.

Caylus is a pretty deep Euro that's a very good 2 player game (it's probably best with 2 players actually). It's a meaty worker placement Euro and one of the best of its type but if you aren't a fan at all of Agricola then this type of game may not be to your liking ether.

Dominant Species would be another good one to look at. Very solid gameplay but again it does run a little long especially when learning the game but really most "big games" are going to generally be reasonably long games with a learning curve almost by definition.

Arkham Horror is yet another good option.. but steep learning curve and longish playing time as well. Good for 2+ players though and about as thematic and "storylike" as a game can get.

Are you looking for thematic games, eurostyle games or anything under the sun?

The ones above are some of the best I'd suggest but there are a boatload more that people here on BGG could give feedback on once we know what your ratings and preferences are on the games you have tried already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ack, sorry didn't realize how vague I was there. I'm thinking something more thematic, because my most frequent partner isn't into anything super mathy. She would rather kill me, than outscore me.

I haven't played Agricola with her, but I'm guessing she'd be pretty put off by it. Since she hasn't been a huge worker placement fan. Our favorite at the moment is Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, but I'm looking for something to mix it up a bit. She's a lot more into zombies than I am, so I'm looking for some other theme.

I do love the way the rules are set up in LNoE with a lot of options for increasing complexity. Not that the game ever seems super complex, but it holds your hand a bit and ramps things up. I suppose I'm looking for something like that.

I love Lovecraft, and I wouldn't mind learning Arkham Horror. If it took a lot of learning commitment from the other players, it might not work though. Being a co-op would probably help a lot since it could maybe be taught as we went along somewhat without anyone feeling cheated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is very complicated to learn and is best with only 2 or 3. It's great, but it's long and complex, so not sure if it fits your needs.

Arkham Horror might be the way to go if Last Night on Earth has worked well for you. It's got more of a learning curve, but as you say, since it's co-op, it's not so bad because you're not on your own with all the rules. Lots of theme, and very good with 2 or 3 players; in fact best with 2 or 3 unless you add expansions. With 2 or 3, it doesn't take forever to play either. Two to three hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I was wondering if Mage Knight would work because it had the walkthrough rules. It seems like that would gradually introduce you to it, rather than just throwing everything at you all at once. I have no problem with lots of rules, but people I play with get put off by a lot of information all once. And a solo mode would be a huge help, since I don't mind playing through a few times before introducing it.

Arkham Horror is appealing more and more to me though, so I'll look into that more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might likeTalisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ironmics wrote:
I love Lovecraft, and I wouldn't mind learning Arkham Horror. If it took a lot of learning commitment from the other players, it might not work though. Being a co-op would probably help a lot since it could maybe be taught as we went along somewhat without anyone feeling cheated?

Arkham is easy to play *IF* someone who's experienced is playing the game. Thankfully, since AH is a coop, all information is open, so one player can more easily help the others play their cards. And, since it's playable solo (draw a Mythos card once every three or more turns) you can learn the rules by yourself.

Mansions of Madness is also easy to play *IF* you are the Keeper and have some roleplaying game experience. Some of the scenarios have zombies, although they may be overshadowed by other creatures. I also see MoM as an rpg toolkit, so you *could* create a zombie adventure with it, once you understand the game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Defenders of the Realm. It's very thematic and plays well with two with each person managing two heroes (not as awkward as it sounds, really). It can also play with four perfectly (and up to six with the posted variant).

Learning the game is very easy though beating it is a real challenge.

I love some other titles like Arkham Horror and Earth Reborn, but I can't recommend them to you because of, respectively, their length and the difficulty of learning the rules.

Edit: ninja'd by skifreak737!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Brother Jim wrote:
Take a look at Defenders of the Realm. It's very thematic and plays well with two with each person managing two heroes (not as awkward as it sounds, really). It can also play with four perfectly (and up to six with the posted variant).

Learning the game is very easy though beating it is a real challenge.

I love some other titles like Arkham Horror and Earth Reborn, but I can't recommend them to you because of, respectively, their length and the difficulty of learning the rules.

Edit: ninja'd by skifreak737!

I'm a bit flexible on the length, just nothing that's going to be 6+ hours even after we're reasonably experienced. Earth Reborn does look pretty daunting though. I will give Defenders a gander though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ironmics wrote:
She's a lot more into zombies than I am, so I'm looking for some other theme.

I do love the way the rules are set up in LNoE with a lot of options for increasing complexity. Not that the game ever seems super complex, but it holds your hand a bit and ramps things up. I suppose I'm looking for something like that.

From what you've written so far, I'd say Arkham Horror would be an excellent choice. It's a solo game as well so you can learn the game at your leisure which will make it much easier to introduce to others. Your learning games will possibly run 4+ hours as you digest the rules and the gameplay but once you have played a few times that will come down a lot and with just 2 players you'll likely play in less than 3 hours... all depends on the players/AP levels etc.

It's one of the most thematic games out there next to going to a full RPG experience. The nice thing about Arkham is that there are expansions to increase the difficulty levels (and add even more variety) so you can ratchet things up when you get used to the base game. Just don't go and buy a huge number of expansions to start out (yes I've seen someone go "all in" and buy the base game + every expansion only to discover the game isn't really their thing. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironmics wrote:

Arkham Horror works really well as long as one player knows the rules. By "knowing the rules" I don't mean "has read the rulebook once" but "has read the rules, the official FAQ and the turn flowrchart, understood them and played at least once or twice". If you don't mind being that guy, Arkham Horror is probably the best game you can get. Playing solo with two or three investigators is a great way to learn the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape - It's very big. It's very shiny. And it's very easy to learn. The only challenge might be finding a copy since it's out of print.

Gears of War: The Board Game - A good option from among the cult of the new. It's big. It's shiny. The rules are straightforward. You can play it solo to get the hang of it before you introduce it. And it's one of the funnest solo games I own.

A note on Mage Knight Board Game - It is simply not easy to learn, even when using the solo-first approach. That said, I would never discourage anyone from buying it. It's my favorite solo game...I can't wait for the time when others will know it and play it with me...but I'm certain it's going to be a long time. soblue

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.