Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dungeon Run» Forums » General

Subject: Why can't you trade in treasure to advance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. I believe the rules say encounter. I was just wondering why it's encounter only. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Santi
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mb
To me, advancing is like leveling up, and the best way to gain experience would be by fighting monsters and disarming traps. It doesn't seem like experience should be gained just by picking up treasures.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marcsanti wrote:
To me, advancing is like leveling up, and the best way to gain experience would be by fighting monsters and disarming traps. It doesn't seem like experience should be gained just by picking up treasures.


It takes skill to find treasure unless we are to believe that search really means the stuff is just sitting there under a monster like Smaug in The Hobbit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Safford
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Just curious. I believe the rules say encounter. I was just wondering why it's encounter only. Thanks.

Because it's the rules.

Like was said, it is the experience of succeeding in defeating monsters and disarming traps that give you the ability to advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cavalier wrote:
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Just curious. I believe the rules say encounter. I was just wondering why it's encounter only. Thanks.

Because it's the rules.

Like was said, it is the experience of succeeding in defeating monsters and disarming traps that give you the ability to advance.


I know it's the rules. That's why I asked for the rationale. I was "curious," not ignorant of their origin.

Search is an action. It is a skill that is used to get treasure. If not then just get the treasure when you kill the monster. There's no need for a separate action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes more sense thematically. And if treasure could be used to advance, it would almost always make more sense to use it that way which wouldn't be as fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbistro wrote:
It makes more sense thematically. And if treasure could be used to advance, it would almost always make more sense to use it that way which wouldn't be as fun.


Plus then your "friends" couldn't knock you out and borrow it.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run is not unlike a boardgame version of Diablo, the PC game. In which, finding treasure is just a matter of clicking on it, which doesn't take any skill or advance your character.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.