Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameSalute has the (re-)announcement of the game.
I don't think there's much new there, but there's a shot of the box, a content list, and a possible release date: May 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Along the way, players need to prove themselves to the Dark Lord and kill all the other Nazgul.

So much for sticking to the theme. This would be the same as having the hobbits kill each other to win. Though maybe the ring would do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to clarify things. My friends and I were part of the play testing for this game.

As the game box states it is "semi-cooperative". The cooperative portion is that you play as the Nazgul and are working together to stop the One Ring from being cast into Mount Doom. The "semi-" part is that there is backstabbing and scheming between the Nazgul but the players don't directly attack each other (or die), as your goal is to have the most VPs amongst your Nazgul brethren at the end to be declared the victor (assuming you prevented the One Ring from being destroyed).

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Michael.

I suggest Game Salute fixes up their announcement as it clearly states that as the Nazgul, part of your goal is to kill the other Nazgul... it will put a lot of people off I think (unfairly, judging by your clarifications).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Little more info
I found this on Wizkids site:

http://wizkidsgames.com/lord-of-the-rings-nazgul/

The dark lord Sauron is pleased that you have... chosen... to champion the true destiny of Middle-earth. Some prefer the hopeless cause of men and their miserable allies. Theirs is a fool's choice! You show no affinity for such delusions. You seek glory for Sauron, and your rewards shall be great!

You are one of Sauron's most powerful minions: a Nazgul! You must work together with the other Nazgul to stop the cursed hobbits and destroy the resistance of men. But at the same time, you must strive to prove your own worth to the dark lord. After all, there are rumors that even the Witch-king can be killed, and Sauron may soon need a new leader for the Nazgul.

In The Lord of the Rings: Nazgul Board Game, you are faced with three Campaigns that you must conquer before the Ring-bearer carries The One Ring to Mount Doom. If you cannot complete them in time, all players lose! Along the way, you will earn Victory Points; and if the group succeeds in its duty, the player with the most VPs wins!
Be sure to add The Lord of the Rings: Nazgul to your board game collection! Available May 16th!

Game Info

The Lord of the Rings: Nazgul Components

5 HeroClix Nazgul Figures
45 Cards of Power
51 Hero Cards
55 Quest Cards
20 Secret Quest Cards
138 Battle Cubes
70 Sauron Favor Cubes
1 Gameboard with Fellowship Tracker
5 Turn Order Markers
12 Complete Wall Markers
30 Victory Point Counters
1 The One Ring Token
1 Witch-king Token
1 Battle Cup
The Lord of the Rings: Nazgul Board Game includes rules for 3 difficulty settings and optional rules for full co-op play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it will be $79.99 like Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvicolus wrote:
Quote:
Along the way, players need to prove themselves to the Dark Lord and kill all the other Nazgul.

So much for sticking to the theme. This would be the same as having the hobbits kill each other to win. Though maybe the ring would do that.

You play as Nazgul trying to stop the ring from making it to Mt Doom. How the heck is that NOT thematic??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Sylvicolus wrote:
Quote:

You play as Nazgul trying to stop the ring from making it to Mt Doom. How the heck is that NOT thematic??

It's been a while, but I don't remember there being a lot of NvN action in the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="pcalIt's been a while, but I don't remember there being a lot of NvN action in the books.[/q]

FWIW, the game page mentions that it will include a full-coop variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see more pictures of this game soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pcal wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Sylvicolus wrote:
Quote:

It's been a while, but I don't remember there being a lot of NvN action in the books.

I suppose one of the Nazgul became the Witch King because he cooperated equally with the rest?

Just because it isn't explicitly written doesn't make it thematic. Every other evil being in Middle Earth is always trying to become the most powerful, I don't see how the Nazgul would be exempt. Again we're talking theme not strict cannon.

Quote:
FWIW, the game page mentions that it will include a full-coop variant.

Last I read it did, but that sounds awfully boring to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Just because it isn't explicitly written doesn't make it thematic. Every other evil being in Middle Earth is always trying to become the most powerful, I don't see how the Nazgul would be exempt.

I suppose. It just seemed to me like the Nazgul were too badly ring-whipped to have any real ambition of their own.

Meh. It's just a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.