Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I had an idea for a game which sort of used elements of Groo: The Game and Dragonheart.
Players would roll dice for different resources and use those resources to play cards/move pawns on different areas of a board. These areas would interact with neighbouring areas in different ways.
Anyway, after playing a few dice games recently (Cosmic Wimpout, Elder Sign, Martian Dice, Zombie Dice) I thought that this might work better as a simple dice game.

(Forgive the crappy "design", this was assembled in a matter of minutes!)

On their turn, players take a handful of 6 sided dice (I reckon about 7 dice).
The different sides have:

Goblins - (on two sides of each die) If Goblins outnumber warriors they take away points to the value of the difference

Warriors - counteract Goblins

Wizards - may be re-rolled until a different result shows

Gold - (on two sides of each die) counts as points. Can also be used to hire Warriors (1 gold) or Wizards (2 gold)

The player also rolls another D6 with the following sides:

Castle - any Gold rolled that turn is safe from Goblins and can be converted to points

Troll - equivalent to 2 Goblins. Can be defeated by 1 Wizard (5 points?)

Dragon - takes all gold rolled that turn. If there is no gold available - takes up to 3 Warriors.
4 warriors can defeat the dragon (10 points?)

Sorceress - prevents Wizards from re-rolling. 3 wizards can defeat the Sorceress (12 points?)

Gryphon - eats 1 Goblin. If no Goblins are available - takes all Gold rolled that turn

Dwarf Hoard - equivalent to 3 Gold

Players start with 10 points. First player to reach an agreed number of points wins.
Very simple and quick with a bit of a press-your-luck element.

Any advice/opinions? I would still like to include a small board with different regions. Attempting different goals in each region could result in dice being locked/extra dice being unlocked etc.
I'd also like to consider a few different game modes (solo, 2 Player Vs battle, co-operative)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hullo ivan

this seems pretty intresting i may well make up some dice and give it a try

my suggestions (this is without any prior play and right off the top of my head)

how about 3 + number of players (up to 4?) base dice instead of an arbitrary 6 or 7

perhaps a bigger dice for the random; d8 or even d10 (though this would involve thinking of more face abilities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply and suggestions Dave!
That is an interesting idea about the number of base dice. I'll certainly try that out.
Yes, I have a few other ideas for other abilities on the 'random' die. I was thinking that they might go on another die that could be 'unlocked' but maybe I will try using a d8 or d10 as you suggest.
Let me know if you try it out and if you have any other ideas
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick thoughts for Vs Battle mode (or if there is going to be a board, when two or more players are on the same region):

-Players roll their dice simultaneously

-Warriors are used to defend

-Goblins are used to attack
(where more than two players are engaged in battle, players can (secretly?) assign them to attack different opponents)

-Wizards may be re-rolled as usual or they may be kept.
In the event of a tie between attacker and defender, the player with more Wizards wins

-Gold can be used to hire Warriors/Goblins* (1 Gold) or Wizards (2 Gold). Gold may be kept for points

If the attacker outnumbers the defender, they take the difference in points.

*Edit: is hiring Goblins thematically incorrect? Also might result in cancelling out attack/defense. Especially since there are already Goblins on two faces of the die. I dunno though, it would give a greater amount of options. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, but I'm not seeing the GAME in this

Where are the decisions to make?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I'm thinking that players move their pawns to different regions on a board where they attempt different objectives (capture a castle/beat a dragon/defeat the necromancer's skeleton horde etc.) - the more difficult the challenge, the greater the reward (gain an extra die/extra points/+1 gold per turn) or penalty (dice locked/lose points).
Players can attack/hinder each other's progress.
Eventually one player emerges as ruler of the realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.