DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Im working at a boardingschool in Denmark. We are considering a trip to Bath November 2012. Any gamingclubs, shops, cenventions, gamesrelated I should know about?

The school is a boardingschool for 15-17 years old kids. We use games to teach!

Read about the school here: http://osterskov.dk/?page_id=213
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/744631/bath-board-games

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1173

If you happen to be there on the final Sunday in November you could also check out So Board In Bristol, which is a once a month event up in Bristol, so not far from Bath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Thats a good place to start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/744631/bath-board-games

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1173

If you happen to be there on the final Sunday in November you could also check out So Board In Bristol, which is a once a month event up in Bristol, so not far from Bath.

Are there any less-obvious (or obvious?) places we should visit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Bath myself (I've driven through a few times and visited once, I live in north Bristol) but the obvious place that you should visit is the Roman Baths. It's a bit clichéd to do I guess but they are very impressive and it's well worth the trip. If you're in Bath you should see the baths!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah BBGG
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey Jacob,

I run the Bath Board Games group linked above (not the Guild) and we would be thrilled to have you all join. It would be so interesing to get to talk to you all about what you do - your education method is fascinating.

I'm not sure how the pub would feel about under-18s coming into the pub or the licensing laws so you might not be able to join us. If you email the Bell Inn on info@walcotstreet.com, I'm sure they could advise. They might not mind. They're a pretty cool pub although have to be careful about their license.

Things to do in Bath.....

I really like the Skyline Walk - it's 6 miles around the hills of the valley (a shorter version is available) and you get some good views, see a little hidden church, see the old quarries, some English forests and the Sham Castle - a fake castle built by a rich man for something to look at.

We have all kinds of museums and galleries - The Holborne is the big one, The Victoria Art Gallery is smaller. There's the Herschel astronomy museum, the East Asian Art museum, the Jane Austen museum, the Bath At Work museum, the American museum...I can't think of more off the top of my head but you will find them all at the Tourist Centre (near the Abbey).

Lots of delicious cafes and restaurants to spoil yourself on - notable ones include the Nepalese restaurant, Yak Yeti Yak and the vegetarian one , Demuth's, (best or nearly-best in the country if I remember correctly) and my favourite sushi place, Zen Sushi. Loads of great Thai places, and then all the usual Italian, English, and bigger high-street name restautrants.

Its a real shame you're with under-18s because the pubs are just wonderful.

I know there's a highly-rated ghost walking tour although you'd need to check if it's on as it's the quiet season.

Avebury and Stonehenge aren't too far away. Cheddar Gorge and Wookey Hole are near-ish.

The river and canal are just really nice to walk along - the Bath countryside is really beautiful. Solsbury Hill (as in the Peter Gabriel song) is good to walk up.

Bristols only 15 minutes on the train - loads of stuff there.

And of course, the Abbey is big and beautiful. Nothing outstanding in terms of big English churches but still really grand with great architecture.

Hope that helps! Keep an eye on bathboardgames.blogspot.com to see if we are playing the week you come and if you'd like some adult company or help, it'd be really fun to meet you all - I work at the college so am very used to students and am CRB-checked (that means I have a piece of paper saying I can legally be trusted with children )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad news... It turns out that going from Denmark to England is going to be to expensive. We tried with a traveling-agency and tried doing it ourselves, but just the ferry costs about 20.000£ - about twice as much as last time.

We are going back to the drawingboard. cry

Thank you so much for your help! Now I wanna go to Bath (again) just to visit you guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.