Subject: I swear it was like a scene from a movie...(kinda long) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been looking at telescopes lately. My two girls 11 & 13 show somewhat of an interest when I put my good binoculars on a tripod and we look at the moon.

Anyway, I spot an ad on CL for a big 8" Orion dobsonian scope that gets a lot of good reviews on Amazon, etc. Retail is $350 and this is listed as new for $250. We email back & forth and she says she liked but found it to be a little too big to move around and it has only been out about 5 times. I figure if it's truly in that shape and if I can talk her down closer to $200, I'll take it.

Well we set up a meeting at a neutral parking lot Saturday morning. We meet, she and her husband open the hatchback and it does look mint. These are big and you have to check for dents and dings as if they've been dropped you can screw up the mirrors.
He says he'll show me how it sets up on the base and as he does, his wife and I exchange the money.

It looks perfect and then he says there is also a handle on the side and.....he hadn't actually locked it into the base, and yes the tube goes flying into midair and smashes on the ground right in front of all of us!!
surprisesurprisesurprise

His wife just starts yelling bad words and hands me the money back while he stands there with his mouth open saying " I can't believe I just did that" over and over.

I was frozen in disbelief for a solid minute until she rolls down the window and says to him to "Get in the car right now !"
He turns and says " this is going to be a bad day..."
I looked at him and just said "Good luck"

Oh well, back to Craigs List...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love a good heartwarming tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here expected something kinda long.

I leave disappointed. Amused but disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I came here expected something kinda long.

I leave disappointed. Amused but disappointed.

Is this how most of your dates end my friend?

(Sorry had to, you left the door wide open.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Damn. That's all I can say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.