Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a game of Adv Civ coming up and I am sore tempted to give the Commodity Trade variant a go. This is where a City, in specific locations on the map, provides a virtual card on one specific commodity per turn.

There is a cluster of these locations in the Eastern Med - and from what I read it will likely engender more combat and targeting during Civil Wars. Since there will be new players, I don't want to unhinge the game but I simply have never played with more than 6 players before an the entire map. This has some appeal. The only two faults I can see is that players may ignore Iberia overly much and that Illyria does not have a good "captive" commodity location (at least not without a fight).

Has anyone tried this? If so, can you comment on whether it improved the game (or made it worse)?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it, and hate it. It does unbalance the game in my opinion. The player owning the Bronze city will have a drastic advantage over the player with the Ochre city for example. I'd vote to stick with the game as designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played, and enjoy it. But I'm the weirdo who proposed the cashable Calamities variant http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/509157/calamity-as-purch....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hildebrandt
United States
Fort Washington
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with it. I think it improves the game -- it, effectively, adds more money in to the trade system, and gives more incentives to trade, especially early in the game. It also gives another focus for conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.

I have a follow on question: Does this variant work like Mining in that it cannot extend the total value of any Commodity beyond that as printed on its card OR do you get a "virtual" additional card e.g there are 5 Silver cards and assuming you hold the 5 AND New Carthage, would you be able to trade for 6 (value=216) or are you limited to a trade of 5 (value=150)?

This was not clear in rules - it gave an example whereby Salt was increased from 3 to 4 cards but since there are 9 in the deck it doesn't address "going over the limit".

I'm guessing that the same limit applies as in Mining but wanted to ask.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LucasTrask wrote:
We always play with it. I think it improves the game -- it, effectively, adds more money in to the trade system, and gives more incentives to trade, especially early in the game. It also gives another focus for conflict.

I agree with Charles, though we usually do not play with it. I liked it when I did.

But I'm not confident about balance changes it makes. I agree the bronze city would be especially powerful if not in a contested area.

LHIM wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I have a follow on question: Does this variant work like Mining in that it cannot extend the total value of any Commodity beyond that as printed on its card OR do you get a "virtual" additional card e.g there are 5 Silver cards and assuming you hold the 5 AND New Carthage, would you be able to trade for 6 (value=216) or are you limited to a trade of 5 (value=150)?

This was not clear in rules - it gave an example whereby Salt was increased from 3 to 4 cards but since there are 9 in the deck it doesn't address "going over the limit".

I'm guessing that the same limit applies as in Mining but wanted to ask.

Thanks

That is how I believe we used it (like mining, not exceeding the normal max), but I'm not 100% certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.