9 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Never assume... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sigma Nil
Norway
flag msg tools
So.. A few games ago, I made an assumption that I had won, and I was dead wrong. That game ended up a tie. I swore then that I would never again take anything for granted in Eclipse. Turns out that's harder to remember than it seems...

(Note: Some details may be wrong, as I'm writing this completely from memory.)

In today's two-player game (terrans vs terrans), my opponent (who had never played the game before) tried to explore nice and slow. He played things extremely safe for the first few of rounds, never confronting Ancients when he found them, but leaving them be. He did get one discovery early, the 11-power source, leaving it to the side to be used (as a power source) later. He got several rather good systems.

Myself, on the other hand started out with what I guess people call a "bad explore". Towards the center, I had a single ancient. Good enough. Then I proceeded to draw empty systems (only single discovery) both for my ring 2 explore and for one of my ring 3 explores. (I kept the discoveries as VP). That's more or less what I did with my first round. Pulled in the influence from the empty hexes. (From now on, I'll probably explore onwards from such hexes while I can.)

In my second round, the second ring 3 explore was another nearly empty system, although it had a single materials planet and a discovery. The discovery was a cruiser, which I took.

All this really focussed my efforts. The ONLY worthwhile system I had found was the one held by the ancient, but now I had a cruiser. Upgrading everything with advanced hulls, I went in.

Having taken that system, the discovery tile gave me another cruiser, which I took. I then proceeded to take the Galactic Core on turn 3 (though I built a couple extra interceptors to help). I have never taken it this early before. Note, however, that I at this point only had 3 systems: GC, my homeworld and the fairly good ring 1 system. (The habitable ring 3 system I had to pull out of.) Also, only two interceptors survived the scrap with the GCDS.

And my opponent had, by this time, built up cruisers with Ancient +3 computers and -1 shields. Seeing that I had the technological advantage, but only just, I attacked him on round 4. He withdrew his cruisers after loosing an interceptor.

A couple rounds later, I am ruling the galaxy. My opponent is reduced to his home system and a single ring 3 system. Which is when I make my mistake and think I have "won".

After the last battles, I had only one cruiser and an interceptor left - due to going first in most turns and taking Ancient ship parts from discoveries, my opponent had some truly badass cruiser-designs. But he didn't have any left at that point. So I move my remaining cruiser into his home system, and my interceptor into the other system. He manages to build a single starbase in his home-system.

...and the game turned. His starbase killed my cruiser, and my interceptor didn't manage to kill off the other system (I didn't have bombs...) Over the next two turns, he manages to build two of his badass cruisers, blast through an up-until-now untouched 2-ancient system (first killing one and driving off another of my dreadnaughts which I sent in to helpd the ancients, and then killing the ancients without a single loss). On the last turn, I sent another dreadnaught into his newly taken hex, and he sent one of his cruisers into the galactic centre.

The ship designs had gone back and forth the whole game (first game when counter-designing ships have been a major issue, but boy was it a MAJOR issue in this game), but at the end of round nine he had the following cruisers:

Cruiser:
Ancient 11-power source
Normal drive.
2 antimatter cannons
2 advanced hulls

I had a dreadnaught in his system, and a dreadnaught and 3 interceptors in my center system:

Dreadnaught:
2 normal 3-power-sources
2 plasma cannons
-2 shield
-1 shield
+1 computer
normal drive

Interceptor:
2 plasma cannons
6-power source
normal drive

The shields were there to counter the +3 computer he had until one of the very last actions of the game, where he swapped it for a second antimatter cannon because I had countered his computer with shields on the dreadnaughts. The 6-power source I got too late to outfit my dreadnaughts with it, thus they were still using my 2x3-power configuration. (And for those of you who think my designs are glass cannons... yeah. They were full of advanced hulls up to the point where his antimatter cannons came into play on a design including an alien +3 computer... At that point, shields seemed a better way to go.)

The battles were fought. I lost a dreadnaught in his system, and he lost his cruiser in the galactic centre. The line was drawn.

Time to count up. My opponent had his 3 systems, a stable economy and very little to do. Me, on the other hand, had to abandon nearly every sector I had to pay for the mad upgrade-a-thon that had governed the end of round nine. Of an empire that once spanned 9 sectors (but still somewhat vieable thanks to advanced robotics and quantum grid and all three advanced resource techs), I was left with the galactic centre, my home system and one other system. My systems were worth more than his, but not by much.

Counting up, I had won the game by 8 points: 29-21. That means that if the end battle in the galactic centre had gone the other way (although that was fairly unlikely), it would have been 25-25 (and he had more resources and so would have won the tie-breaker).

I call that a close game. And to think that at one point I had an empire 450% the size of his...

Phew. That was truly a great session, and tense too! The most agressive game we have ever seen at my table, and the first time where a lot of thought had to go into designing ships that would beat the enemy's designs.

This game was also WEIRD with regards to technologies. Apart from shields and advanced hulls (and only one of the latter), no affordable military technologies were available for research early on. (+3 computers and antimatter guns were available early, but too expensive for most of the game. Missiles never showed. Plasma guns, -2 shields and +2 computers showed only around round 7.) Not sure if this was one of the reasons that a ship-design-race took the place of the technology-race I'm used to. In either case, it was a very interresting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy McCricket
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting report, though I didn't think you could keep an ancient ship part for later but that you had to fit it on discovery or discard it/keep for vp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rmonkey wrote:
Interesting report, though I didn't think you could keep an ancient ship part for later but that you had to fit it on discovery or discard it/keep for vp?

Yes, you can. See rules p. 7: "you may place this part in any of your Ships (returning an exist­ing part if needed); you may also keep the part next to your board and place it later with the Upgrade action"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigma Nil
Norway
flag msg tools
Tjohei wrote:
Rmonkey wrote:

Yes, you can. See rules p. 7: "you may place this part in any of your Ships (returning an exist­ing part if needed); you may also keep the part next to your board and place it later with the Upgrade action"

What Eirik said. But I must admit we missed that particular rule at first as well - yesterday's game (the one above) was the first we played with the correct rules for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy McCricket
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes. There was a thread here a while back discussing the long-term thinking behind where to place discovery parts.. I think everyone on that thread was making the same mistake as I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, we got this awesome alien part!

Great!

We can replicate it onto any of our ships!

Great! Put it in all the cruisers, interceptors, starbases, and dreadnaughts!

Oh no sir, we can't do that... we can only put it on one type of ship.

But you can build 8 for my interceptors... but not 6 for my dreadnaughts and cruisers?

Right-o!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welll, I think the idea is "we got this awesome part, but once we hammer it into shape to fit an interceptor, it will be unuseable in any other ship configuration, as its fluxomatrixphaseshifter will automatically shut down."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you upgrade, remove the part, place it next to your board, and then put it into another ship type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Can you upgrade, remove the part, place it next to your board, and then put it into another ship type?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.