Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous thread here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/747669/earth-9216-game-6-div...

January 8 marked the first game of the new year. We were back to the usual 4. Ron had tied Barry at two wins, while Jason and I still had one win each.

SPOILERS

9 minor cities placed, Player Eliminated, Player Signs Board Twice, and 3 Missiles packets and boxes have all been opened. These contents will be discussed in the open after this warning.

SPOILERS

Once again drafting, we also had the translated cards released in Germany. Although they had some interesting potential, they didn't come up much in this game. I went for an early placement as the key to my strategy.

Barry chose the Mutants again, perhaps wanting to try out their evolved power, and went with his traditional home in China. I again accepted leadership of the Saharan Republic, but I brought them north into Southern Europe, locking Jason out of Russia. Jason's rage at this resonated with the Enclave of the Bear, which his Mercenary allowed him to place in Ron's major city in Northwest Territory. Ron refused to cede control of the continent and dug in with Die Mechaniker in Eastern Canada.

Starting Position
1. Barry- Mutants, China. 2 Missiles
2. Scott (me)- Saharan Republic, Southern Europe(You may maneuver at any point during the turn, Resourceful, may collect resource card for expanding into a city)1 missile
3.Ron- Die Mechaniker, Eastern Canada(HQ is fortified, Bad Intel, deny a continent bonus)2 missiles
4. Jason- Enclave of the Bear, Northwest Territory(Defender subtracts 1 from his lower defense die; Well Armed- Add 1 to all of your attack dice when attacking an HQ)1 missile
Unplayed- Khan Industries(place one troop in each territory you control with an HQ)
Unplayed- Imperial Balkania, Madagascar(Round up when recruiting, Stealthy, Bringers of Nuclear Fire, Interference, force a player to draw a different resource card) 3 missiles

Resource Cards
4 coins: Scandinavia
3 coins: Russia, China, Eastern US, Egypt, Southern Europ
2 coins: North Africa, South Africa, New Guinea, Northern Europe, Argentina, Kamchatka, Indonesia, Northwest Territory, Greenland
No Card: India

Scars
Bunkers protect Alberta, North Africa and Middle East. Afghanistan, Western Australia, and Western Europe are plagued by ammo shortages. Russia and China both serve as staging areas for mercenaries. Argentina and Indonesia are biohazard zones. There is a big, glowing crater in India.

Cities
Major cities in China, Middle East,Russia, and Northwest Territory. Minor Cities in Brazil, Western US, Eastern US, Scandinavia, and South Africa, Central Africa, North Africa, New Guinea and Indonesia.

Continents
Prime Earth's Africa is now Scottland.

Round 1

Barry spread out, his Mutants infesting Australia and Fall-out India. I took a slower approach, dipping my toe into Scottland and seizing Russia's major city with a force to hold it (we'd missed the rule about a fortified requiring two extra units to take, but I think I still would have been fine). Because the Saharans were resourceful, I'd get a resource card just for expanding into a city, so I planned to milk that for all it was worth.

In North America, the best offensive and defensive armies eyed each other. Ron's Die Mechaniker marched forth, hoping to catch the Enclave unaware. But, even on defense, the Bear warriors proved their mettle, stopping the mechanized advance. They counter-attacked, but Die Mechaniker proved a good offense can't beat a good defense (especially when defender wins ties).

At the end of round 1, Ron and Jason were longshots to win, while it could go either way between my forces and Barry's.

The War Continues...

The ugly orange blotch of the Mutants continued to spill over Asia. I was reluctant to engage directly- taking territory just seemed like an invitation for Barry to get a resource card. The Saharans did invest the Middle East with a sizable force, expecting the bunker to hold off the Mutants. This expansion got me another resource card, combined with my first turn card and two coin cards from the draft, I got a red star and added Recon to my bag of tricks- I could spend a missile to claim any face up resource card instead of a coin.

The Enclave succeeded at chasing Die Mechaniker out of North America. Jason had little time to celebrate. He headed east and west, trying to stall the Mutant take-over of Asia and my own conquest of Europe. This brought a retaliation attack from Barry, and left his forces depleted enough that Die Mechaniker (who had found refuge in South America) were able to reclaim their own HQ.

The End...

Barry held all of Australia and all of Asia- except the still well-defended Middle East. He moved into Alaska, preparing for the final push.

I'd been content to continue my slow build- I still had two cities in Africa I could expand into before I needed to resort to conflict. Then someone mentioned how close Barry was to a possible win. I eyed the lightly defended HQs in North America, then spoke aloud of a big push which would take China from the Mutants. Then I my turn, I mustered my forces in Russia, maneuvered the Middle East garrison to join them, and quickly smashed through the weakened Enclave in Scandinavia, Iceland, and Greenland. Using Greenland as a staging area, I made a two prong attack, easily conquering Eastern Canada and Northwest Territory. The game was mine.

I dithered a bit on what to take for my victory. It was tempting to place the last major city. I also considered naming Europe, less because I expected to conquer it and more to prevent Jason from later gaining that benefit. I decided that would earn me his undying enmity (he was pretty ticked that I'd kept him out of Russia this game), and it's so much nicer when he and Ron batter each other senseless. In the end, I bestowed the name "Greater Scottland" on Asia; I had often argued with Barry that my claim to Middle East was based on it being part of the greater Scottland area. Now, that was the truth.

China received a 4th star, Alberta a 2nd, and Ontario a 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srhall79 wrote:
In the end, I bestowed the name "Greater Scottland" on Asia; I had often argued with Barry that my claim to Middle East was based on it being part of the greater Scottland area. Now, that was the truth.

This made me laugh! Loving your world history. Keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, this is amusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad I was blessed with a name that translates so easily into an almost-real world location. Maybe I'll keep winning and get to name all the continents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.