Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
can someone tell me how this board worked in game, and what were its pluses and what were its drawbacks?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've never played this, while I did look over their "Combat" procedure and you have TWO kinds that can occur depending upon if that were a 'Skirmish' or 'Major Battle'. It also were more extensive for their 'Advanced' procedures, as you have 'maneuver' and 'tactical disposition' to take into account for such. What is "it" that you are having trouble figuring out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
It worked a lot like the system from which it was derived, i.e. the battleboard in Columbia's game "Napoleon". What are you wondering about (more) exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm creating a game, and am thinking about involving a battle board. The combat is comprised of foot soldiers, archers, flintlock riflemen, and cavalry.

I don't mind a little abstractness, but I wanted to see how that one worked since it looks the most like what I was thinking about making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
It works fine in NIE. It's often what people like most about NIE, but the time it takes to finish a battle that way is also one of the main complaints about NIE. Especially in a multi-player game where only some of the players are involved in the battle. So i'd say it's a great concept generally for 2 player games, but not so much for more than 2 player games, unless everyone is (for some reason) involved in every battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would called it the Napoleon version of Axis & Allies.
The battles are a little more sofiticated, though.
Great game, but you need more than 2-3 players to play it, IMO.

And the miniatures cries out for a paint job!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
when we play the eight player version (purchased the white army when was available ), as soon as two players are preparing to battle against each other, each side asks three other players to take over their Artillery, Cavalry and infantry while the main player is acting as the leader..
If one side wins, the main player will provide a reward for his generals (other players whom represented his army),
This way all eight players are involved in the battles as oppose to six players seat and watch while two going at it.

To make it more interesting we have designed six different battle boards,
Mountain, Forest, plain field and river with bridge and two other , we roll a d6 to determine type of battle board.

Best Regards
J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
questfordragonlords wrote:
when we play the eight player version (purchased the white army when was available ), as soon as two players are preparing to battle against each other, each side asks three other players to take over their Artillery, Cavalry and infantry while the main player is acting as the leader..
If one side wins, the main player will provide a reward for his generals (other players whom represented his army),
This way all eight players are involved in the battles as oppose to six players seat and watch while two going at it.

To make it more interesting we have designed six different battle boards,
Mountain, Forest, plain field and river with bridge and two other , we roll a d6 to determine type of battle board.

Best Regards
J
That sounds like a great solution to the problem of player downtime. I have played the game partway a couple of times (both times without the battleboard) and both times the game ended before it was completed because it took too long (once at a con when we over ran our allotted table time and once at a friend's house when some of the player's had to work the next day and decided they wanted some sleep).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
(Going from memory, and I haven't played for a few years, so bear with me)

Generally combat is resolved with lots of 2d6 rolls vs various "to-hit-numbers". Units have one or two actions each round, depending on whether they are on horseback. Attack and move cost one action each.

Artillery has a firing range of up to 2, hits at 7 or 9 depending on range.
Infantry has a firing range of 1, hits at 9 (and can charge = opposed 2d6),
Cavalry can only charge (opposed 2d6 with a few modifiers)
Leaders can give +1 bonus to charges, or rally routed units.

When a unit is hit it is either routed or eliminated depending on a saving throw (fire attacks) ot how much it lost an opposed roll (charges). Routed units are placed in the rearmost box. The box above that is the "reserve" area.

If a major battle (both sides have 6+ units each) one side breaks when one "column" is emptied of their troops.

When a side breaks, there is the possibility of pursuit, but looser can use non-routed cavalry as screen that must first be eliminated (high to-hit-number and only cav can pursuit if there is a screen)

It is great fun, but apart from the downtime issue mentioned, the side with artillery superiority has a huge advantage, as the other side is more or less forced to attack or die. This may be fairly realistic though, and artillery is expensive in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NiE is a fantastic game!...glad to see folks are still interested in it!
Cheers! (SFRR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Acker
United States
Hartwell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great that people are still playing this terrific game. All the wargamers in NE GA could not play an 8-player!

Battles are resolved by players putting their armies on a battle board. Big battles on a big board with Left, Center, and Right sections, and rear and front sections on each side. Eliminating all opponents in a section wins, I think.

Troops can move forward, back or sideways, or fire, or melee. Dice to hit

Small battles do not have Left Right and Center, just a field that is one wide.

A very good battle resolution system within a strategic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.