K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading about user jughead's ideas for treasure cards in this thread made me realize that the Treasure deck is one aspect of these games that has not been "explored" as much as the heroes and monsters.

Coincidentally, Wizards also recently released the D&D 4e supplement "Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium" which is ALL about treasures. Here is the excerpt from the back of the book:
Quote:
Welcome to Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium, a wondrous collection of magic items - each one with a story to tell. This tome provides Dungeon Masters with an assortment of treasures to tempt adventurers, and it supplies players with an arsenal to take on the most dangerous monsters. This book adds stories and adventure possibilities to the treasures presented within, setting these items apart from run-of-the-mill adventuring gear. Hold on to your hats - everything must go!

I set myself a target to create a 54 card deck (artscow!) of additional treasures for use with the Adventure series games. After burying myself in the book for a week, I had a first draft and then refined it further through extensive imaginary playtests.

Given that the RPG stats are mechanically very different from the boardgames, the extensive lore for each treasure (well done Wizards!) really helped me understand how to adapt them. Adapting them based on their lore and concept also helped differentiate what could otherwise have been entire sets of cards with the same effect.

Where suitable, I made use of various item tokens that were included in the boardgames, mostly from Castle Ravenloft. If you do not have a particular token, just use any game token as a generic marker. The treasure price values were assigned based on comparisons with treasure items from Wrath of Ashardalon and Legend of Drizzt.

2 of the items are related to undead monsters - Symbol of the Sun and Cryptspawn Potion. Also, 2 of the cards are not meant to be shuffled into the treasure deck - Shadow Animate which is an ally summoned by Flask of Shadows and the 2nd copy of Pouch of Sharing.

Update: The PDF file has been approved.
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium

Update: Here's the link to the artscow deck:
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/mordenkainen-v1...

Card Previews

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Vernon
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are looking great. Cant wait to try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What, no pictures?!? How can you play a game whose are sucks???

Sorry, repeating a complaint many seem to voice that I don't share with. Very nice. Do you recommend just merging them together? Or creating a custom Treasure deck for specific missions?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maier
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KY this is just unbelievably cool, kudos to you sir! I can't wait to get my grubby mits on them and try 'em out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

shnar wrote:
Do you recommend just merging them together? Or creating a custom Treasure deck for specific missions?

-shnar

That can be another topic altogether. For those playing CR and LoD as stand-alone adventures, I would recommend swapping out treasure items of similar values 1 to 1 so as to maintain the game balance.

Frank (wuyley) also had this idea of segregating the treasure items into 2 tiers so that the more powerful items are not so easily obtainable. For campaign games and those using multi-level variants, I think this is the way to go to avoid the heroes becoming overpowered. You would need the treasure tokens from WoA for such a system.

You could also use some of the more interesting treasures as adventure treasures. Eg the Scroll of Protection could be the reward for defeating the mid-level boss enroute to finding Ashardalon. The Symbol of the Sun and Cryptspawn Potion could have similar uses on adventures featuring Gravestorm or Count Strahd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a zip / rar file uploaded somewhere or are you waiting for it to be approved by BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF file is in the BGG approval queue. Usually files get approved over the weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
File approved with 3GG. The approving admin must belong to the "these cards need more graphics" camp.

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
A killer! No filler!

I'll be printing this one via Artscow for sure!

How do you print them with Artscow? Which format/paper? Is there a forum thread for this somewhere?

Great work dragon!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I will post the link to the artscow 54 card deck once I'm done.

If you've not used their services before, go register first at www.artscow.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the artscow link:
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/mordenkainen-v1...

Probably worth waiting for the next offer though to avoid the shipping fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Sanchez
United States
Surfside
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KY,

Looks excellent, well done. I definitely will use these!

-Reggie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
I wish i was able to find a company in europe that could print this stuff .

Anyway is it me or does the back look weird on artscow, there seem to be black borders on some sides of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Creasman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely awesome deck. Thanks much for going to the effort of putting these together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

Banemus wrote:
I wish i was able to find a company in europe that could print this stuff .

Anyway is it me or does the back look weird on artscow, there seem to be black borders on some sides of it.

Jef, Artscow frequently has free shipping promotions so just wait for those. The cardback is my current best guess at approximating the look of the original cardback although it hardly matters as there is sure to be some differences whether in color tone or the alignment is offset. The best would be to use opaque card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evil bob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - very nicely done. Thank you - as others have said - for putting such effort into these cards!

Were you also looking for feedback regarding specific cards (too strong, too weak, confusing, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks and welcome to BGG!

If you look at my other customs, you will see a lot of it is continually updated so feedback is ALWAYS appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered my copy at artscow! THX dragon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evil bob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Thanks and welcome to BGG!

If you look at my other customs, you will see a lot of it is continually updated so feedback is ALWAYS appreciated.

Thank you for the welcome! And I apologize in advance is this is more than you were looking for...

Below are some suggestions or comments on what I think is particularly cool. Overall, I'll say again that they are really, really smart and well-done. Also, I freely admit that in some cases where I talk about a bonus being too high or something being better than an at-will power, I am probably not considering LoD heroes. The Gauntlet of Striking, for example, is a spectacular card - but the LoD archer character can do that with every attack, if she so choses. Considering they made a card for Drizzt's power - double attacking - this card seems fair, too. If LoD didn't exist, I'd have thought that was a bit powerful. Anyway I hope this helps!

Defender Shield: I wasn't sure from the text if it can be used on yourself. If so, it could end up being a fairly normal shield item. You might want to specify that it only works on other heroes, if that's what you were going for.

Helm of Billiance: Seems very powerful for some heroes given that it's a non-action ranged attack (that's about as good as some at-wills), potentially often. It seems especially rough against certain bosses. Might want to make it a single-use card, or better yet reduce the attack to +4 or +3.

Totem of Immobility: This is a case where the rules of the game are oddly worded and it interferes with your card in a way that is not your fault. When you put "play immediately" right next to the rest of the text, it sort of implies that you have to attack immediately (which brings up all sorts of other questions). I'd suggest removing the "play immediately" text (like you did for the Blade of Punishment and Dagger of Seeking). Unrelated to that: the item itself is strong - especially not being consumed on a miss. You might want to make it single-use.

Iron Bands of Bilarro: Same wording thing as the Totem.

Elixir of Aptitude: Giving people the option to "use a utility power you did not select" could be an issue out-of-game. That sets up a potentially messy real-world situation where everyone at the table has to sit and wait for someone to dig up their character's other power cards and hunt through them for a power they want to use. It seems like a really good idea, but I think it'd be detrimental to the game's flow. Plus, the item is still good without that option. (It also shares a potential problem with the Helm of Seven Deaths - see below.)

Cloak of the Phoenix, Ebon Armor, Armor of Dogged Grit: As others have said, these are really cool.

Armor of Fey Charge, Exlixir of Gaseous Form, Shadow Band: You might want to change the text to say "monsters cannot target you" when they activate. It's nitpicky, I know. But they still cannot move through your space, right?

Greater Armor of Eyes: That's probably worth an attack, as opposed to a move. Or you may want it to be a single-use instead... it's that good.

Prayer Beads: This is an odd treasure because it basically says "draw another card, but discard it if it's an item." I think the intent is that you can choose when to use an "use immediately" card instead of just drawing it when you kill an enemy, but the net effect isn't that useful. Maybe instead you could say that when it's in play, if you draw another card that is a fortune or a blessing, you can choose to "hold" it in the prayer beads. Then, during a hero phase, you can use the beads to release that other card whenever you'd like - consuming them both. Does that hit the intent pretty well?

Prismatic Orb: Might be a 1500g item? Also the attack bonus seems a little high for such a powerful move (it's great against certain bosses). Very cool effect, btw.

Rod of Absorption: Again, it feels a little too powerful if it is not consumed on a failure. Maybe make it not take any action but be used up hit or miss?

Healing Sash: You might want to make it apply only to the user and one other instead of any two heroes; someone could be mean to their fellow players by swapping around their wounds... (Or is that the intent?)

Boots of Leaping: That sounds more like a 1000g item, maybe?

Helm of Seven Deaths: Very interesting idea! The only downside is that it allows one player to unilaterally decide how XP - a group resource - should be spent. Not to mention the XP hording that could occur. This might be better in some of the solo adventures, or in the LoD competition-based ones.

Amulet of Aranea, Siege Shield, Elixir of Wealth Luck: VERY cool ideas. ("Wealth Luck?" Should it just be "Wealth?")

Bottled Smoke: Auto-miss is extremely powerful... Maybe just make it a -4 to hit?

Elixir of Accuracy: Auto-hit is also extremely powerful... Maybe just a +10 to hit?

Scroll of Protection: I like the card, but the map token seems odd. Maybe use a "shield" token (from CR) on your character portrait instead? Although, it's a bit unwieldy... Or just don't use a token - that's fine, too. I can see where you're going with the map - it's a scroll, right? - but the shielding effect isn't communicated well.

Pouch of Sharing: Very interesting - although it's strange to have to have a treasure card to allow heroes to trade items...

Horn of Blasting: Might be a 1500 or 2000g treasure.

Cloak of Displacement: Classic, classic card. This is so good I'm not sure why it's not in the original game.

Thanks again for all your great ideas and hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow Wow, that is practically an extensive review! GG awarded! Your insights expose you as a fairly experienced player. Where have you been all this time? You are right that LoD has raised the bar for what constitutes "overpowered" in these games.

Defender Shield: Yes, the protection can be placed on ANY hero, including the wielder. This is one of several items that I felt could add to the game by presenting a choice to the player. I think there are situations where the flexibility of this item would be appreciated - maybe your hero cannot explore for various reasons and you grant the protection to another hero that can explore, or you are a ranged attacker assisting a melee attacker going up against a monster with a particularly nasty adjacent attack. It facilitates table talk which I find one of the most fun aspects of coops.

Helm of Brilliance: I compared this to Throwing Shield (WoA) after coming up with the idea. For 500gp less, this helm loses the +2AC and guaranteed 2nd attack, which I thought was reasonable enough without having to reduce the attack bonus (both are +6). So I feel it's ok especially since the attack option is predicated on TWO requirements, both of lower possibility - there are less monsters with ranged attacks and there is a lower chance that monsters will miss, at least in my experience.

Totem of Immobility: Well, this is actually a case of my non-existent photoshop skills being a handicap. Without being able to shift the "Play Immediately" boundary higher, there was not enough space above the attack box to fit all the text. I hope that players using these custom cards will be experienced enough to understand the intention. When I made each item, I asked myself if I would find the item worthy of purchase. As a single use, this item would drop off my buy list, especially since it needs to use up an attack action. It might work if there was a suitable miss effect but unfortunately monsters can't be Slowed.

Bands of Bilarro: Same technical handicap.

Elixir of Aptitude: Comparing to Potion of Rejuvenation (WoA) which unflips any power or item at 1000gp, this elixir would be inferior without the ability to access out of game Utility powers. I too dislike adding fiddliness but the hero would typically have a full cycle of turns after he got the elixir to consider what he wanted to do, and the choice is still limited to only 2-3 utility powers. Still, your comments have caused me to rethink the card - "Unflip your Hero's Utility power or discard 5XP to use a Utility power for your Hero that you did not select." I think the price can drop to 600gp as well.

Armor of Fey Charge, etc: Good point but similarly nitpicky people might then say simply moving towards you is not the same as targeting you (with an attack). I think I will trust players to understand that movement rules still apply.

Greater Armor of Eyes: I will reveal a little secret - I actually think this card is not as good as it seems. If you don't move, chances are you will get hit with an Encounter, and who knows if the next card is better or worse since you are only previewing the top card? Same goes for monsters. I think the situations where such an ability would be more useful than moving are few, which is why I didn't restrict it to single use. It would be single use if the item lets you see the top 2 cards and discard 1, for example, which would actually let you choose the card.

Prayer Beads: I did really intend it to be a random draw but yes, the wording was a bit lazy. Perhaps I should have stated, Keep drawing until you get a Fortune or Blessing and discard the other cards drawn. I envisioned the hero being caught in a particularly nasty situation and making a desperate prayer for divine help, without having to meet the normal requirements of defeating a monster first. Note that the hero could draw the card early on his turn before deciding his actions.

That aside, your idea of "holding" a fortune/blessing is fantastic! I'll see if I can use it for a treasure item that will supplement this supplement.

Prismatic Orb: Again, I debated with myself if I would buy this item if playing campaign style. At 1500gp, it would compete with a host of better items that would do damage or prevent damage, both of greater importance than simply pushing the monsters away. That also explains why I allowed it an above average attack bonus. I'm sure there are players who are quite sick and tired of the usual attack items with low to-hit bonuses so this would be a sight for sore eyes.

Rod of Absorption: Yes, it is quite powerful and I tried to reflect that in its price. This was originally an automatic discard of an Encounter card but I thought the current version would be way more interesting in terms of roleplay opportunities - "Whaddaya mean you're still trying to figure out the instruction leaflet??!???!". laugh

Healing Sash: The choice of any 2 heroes was to slightly increase the potential usefulness of this rather average item. Most of the time, you would not have more than 2 heroes on a tile anyway.

Boots of Leaping: I think 600gp is ok comparing it to Potion of Speed (300gp) which in most cases, let's the hero move 2 tiles as well. So for +300gp, you get the added benefit of jumping over monsters, a situationally useful ability.

Helm of Seven Deaths: I don't think any decision in these coop games are made unilaterally, not without spoiling the experience for all involved anyway. So again, this is an item to facilitate some table talk and get all involved in making a decision. An extra point of damage against a monster would certainly be beneficial to all.

Elixir of Wealth Luck: I had the HARDEST time finalizing the title of this card. The original item was Potion of Finding Treasures which couldn't bloody fit in the allocated space. Just Elixir of Wealth sounded like the drinker would become instantly rich, which isn't the case here.

Bottled Smoke: I thought a bit about this and decided it was ok since quite a number of ranged attacks from powerful monsters had miss effects, powerful monsters being the main reason this item would be used.

Elixir of Accuracy: Like LoD's Bracers of Striking, this item allows any hero, even if for just once, to experience what it feels like to be Alyssa the Ranger. cool

Scroll of Protection: It was one of my intentions to make full use of all the misc tokens that were provided. Using them requires a focus on the image rather than the very specific item names (a more extreme example being why would a Hero use a phylactery to worship Gravestorm??). I also try to use each item only once, so the shield token is already being used by Defender Shield. Btw, I see this item as placing tremendous stress on the hero using it.

Pouch of Sharing: Yeah, when I was reading Mordenkainen's book, my mind went - ok, this is pretty usele... waddaminute! Ding!

Horn of Blasting: I compared this to WoA's Scroll of Monster Control and Wand of Fear. I finally priced it below Wand of Fear since it cannot push monsters as far away and the restriction of moving heroes and monsters AWAY from you limits its tactical usefulness. Something that let you rearrange the figures within 1 tile without restrictions would be priced higher.

Phew! Thanks for the exhaustive review, this was a great acid test of my earlier presumptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve4Christ wrote:
I ordered my copy at artscow! THX dragon!

For those who've ordered a copy of the current deck, the only changes from the extensive review above is as follows:

Errata:
Elixir of Aptitude
Unflip your Hero's Utility power or discard 5XP to use a Utility power for your Hero that you did not select.
Cost: 600gp

Clarification:
Prayer Beads
The hero keeps drawing until he draws a Fortune or Blessing. All other cards are discarded. This is obviously a problem in Ashardalon so one way around it will be to have the treasude cards from CR or LoD handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Sanchez
United States
Surfside
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Player Beads -
Quote:
This is obviously a problem in Ashardalon so one way around it will be to have the treasude cards from CR or LoD handy.

Or just add more fortunes to this set

Maybe like "Lolth wants a blood sacrifice" - remove 6 HP from the party for an extra healing surge angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thejughead wrote:
Or just add more fortunes to this set

Maybe like "Lolth wants a blood sacrifice" - remove 6 HP from the party for an extra healing surge angry

Not sure I would want to make fortune/blessings as the existing ones are generic enough to be used with WoA.
But that would be a fantastic idea for an LoD special encounter/quest card, if i ever get around to making such a deck. whistle
If Ancient Throne is used in this adventure, discard this card and draw another card.
Otherwise, place Ancient Throne on the furthest unexplored edge.
Heroes ending their turn on this tile may take 1 damage to place 1 token on the Ancient Throne. Once there are as many tokens as the number of heroes, discard 5XP and this card to gain 1 Healing Surge token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Sanchez
United States
Surfside
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
surprise Oooh lala
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evil bob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the high compliments! I'm glad I could help. Also, all the cards I didn't mention - that was because I thought they were great! Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Totem of Immobility: I have good photoshop skills, if that can help. I still think you can drop the "Play Immediately" line, though, if nothing else based on your other items that also drop that line. It actually makes good sense - in fact, I think the "Play Immediately" line that the game uses normally makes less sense because it would be natural for someone to pick up an item and add it to their pile. (That's a beef I have with the game and not your items, however.) Also, another balance option would be to make it not an attack action - just a free action - and then let it be a single use, hit or miss. There are a couple of other items that could swing that way as well. I think this type of interaction is more often represented in the rules than the "use until you hit, but it costs you an attack each time" method, so it seems a bit more familiar/tested. (On the other hand, that's also an argument in favor of your current method - just to change it up.)

Greater Armor of Eyes: I think it would be worth making a new item - if you didn't want to change this one - that let you check the top two monsters and discard one (single use, use on your hero phase for no action). That's a great card, too!

Prismatic Orb: The main thing I was worried about was that there are some bosses and monsters that - if more than 1 tile away from the heroes - will just move 1 tile. That's potentially 2 villain phases (or monster turns) for free, which is a great use - but honestly you're right, that's not too much better than those other cards you mentioned.

Helm of Seven Deaths: Since I wrote my thoughts, I found either a card or an adventure or something (can't recall) that allows a single player to spend XP on something as part of the core game. So I think you're right.

Elixir of Wealth Luck: "Elixir of Wealth" makes more sense to me, personally, for what that's worth. And I don't think it implies you get rich instantly. I think it'd be a fine name.

Bottled Smoke: I forgot that most of the "bad" monsters don't care if they miss. Good point. I still think 100% chances of anything are still a bit much for this game - if nothing else, it keeps people from rolling, which they love.

All comments aside it's still a great set! Have you made any other custom things for this game series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.