United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learning...

I first thought the game could end if any three supply piles are emptied (estate, duchy and curse). Then I read somewhere about a line in the intrigue rulebook (in relation to workshop) I think saying that any pile not part of your deck is considered supply. So, does the game end if three action cards piles are depleted as well? Or does supply pile in regards to the end of the game only apply to the diagram in the original instruction book (treasure, victory and curse)? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any three piles (treasure, action, curses, victory) empty will end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I see your confusion. In the base game rulebook, it has an image labeled "the supply" that shows the basic treasure, victory, and curse cards. However, if you open the rulebook so it's laying flat, you'll see that's only the left half of the image, with the right half showing 10 kingdom cards. The words "the supply" are meant to refer to all of that.

So yes, "the supply" includes all of the cards on the table that are available to buy. It includes 10 kingdom cards as well as all basic treasure, victory, and curse cards. The game ends if any three piles in the supply run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
So yes, "the supply" includes all of the cards on the table that are available to buy.

The only exception I can think of occurs if you are using the Black Market promo. The separate "Black Market deck" you build contains cards that you can buy via Black Market, but the deck is not in the Supply. Not something you have to worry about if you have only the base game, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Just got the base game so far, but I definitely will be buying the expansions soon.

Today was the first time I've played and I've literally spent my entire day playing this game with my 11 year old daughter. My back hurts, my eyes are bloodshot and I'm getting a little slap happy at this point, but boy what fun we've had.

The only issue I had as a newbie was the double thrones. Just too much for my peabrain to handle and it seemed to take away from the fun of the game a tad bit for me and my daughter. So, we created a house rule and limited this card to no back to back uses. It's still a great card, even with this limitation.

Anyway. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
The only exception I can think of occurs if you are using the Black Market promo. The separate "Black Market deck" you build contains cards that you can buy via Black Market, but the deck is not in the Supply. Not something you have to worry about if you have only the base game, of course.

Don't forget Tournament's Prize pile. That's also not in the Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mille1212 wrote:
The only issue I had as a newbie was the double thrones. Just too much for my peabrain to handle and it seemed to take away from the fun of the game a tad bit for me and my daughter. So, we created a house rule and limited this card to no back to back uses. It's still a great card, even with this limitation.

If you think double Throne Rooms are confusing, just wait until you get to Prosperity and start playing triple King's Courts - kind of like Throne Room, but you play the action three times instead of two!

And to add a bit more confusion, wait until you see double Throne Rooms with the duration cards from Seaside which stay in play until your next turn and you have to remind yourself which of the Throne Rooms stay in play with the durations as well.

Multiple Throne Rooms (and King's Courts) can get a little nuts and confusing, but it is also a whole lot of fun when they set you up for some really nice turns such as buying several victory cards at once with multiple buys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

Don't forget Tournament's Prize pile. That's also not in the Supply.

His criterion was "things you can buy." You can't buy Prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah, guys, you've got someone new to the game asking about the basics of the rules, and you're trying to explain how the promo's and one of the later expansions work ?

Anyway, double throne rooms are a little difficult at first, but once you've played them a few times you'll quickly get the hang of how they work. Essentially, playing a throne room on a throne room let's you play an action card from your hand twice, and then ANOTHER action card from your hand twice. Stacking more throne rooms just leads to more actions being played twice, but never playing a single action three times or more.

It helps to lay the throne rooms out in a pyramid structure - that way you can keep track of what's been done in case you forget.

Of course, it's your game, and if you can't wrap your head around them and don't want to, just don't !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
It helps to lay the throne rooms out in a pyramid structure - that way you can keep track of what's been done in case you forget.

Thanks for the insight on the use of throne rooms. This is a good tip. We were playing our cards lined out in a straight line. I found myself grabbing a piece of paper and trying to make a diagram of what you've described. That was the part of it that took away from the fun for me. It would be much better visually if the cards were actually laid out that way to begin with. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
Woah, guys, you've got someone new to the game asking about the basics of the rules, and you're trying to explain how the promo's and one of the later expansions work ?

There are people who buy more than one set before they learn the game, so it's important to give them an accurate answer. And if Dominion teaches us anything, it's that mental shortcuts will only confuse us later if we come to rely on them too much.

With that in mind, I think this thread has done a pretty good job of keeping it relatively simple, while saying "there's other stuff out there that might change the answer for you." And, of course, there's other stuff that hasn't been published yet that might change the answer further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never understood the pyramid plan. I always built mine like stairs.

________+2____+1
______+2__+0__+1
____+2__+0____+1
__+3__+0______+1
+0__+0

Cards that grant explosive actions made a step pattern. Terminal Action cards went in the opposite corner (like supporting the step above it). Any card that just chained actions (+1 Action) were stacked aside because they don't provide nor cost actions to use (so long as at least 1 action remained available before they were played). Crossroads is a tad tricky because it finally presented a card with explosive actions greater than +2 but since only one of them per turn may do this, I just put it at the bottom of the staircase and allow another Action card to support the side in-line with the steps. All other Crossroads go to the terminal side.

The problem with pyramids is that they bunch up in the middle and it is still easy to miss a card that provides extra actions if they are just arrayed in order of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
The thing about pyramids is it can make some players think too carefully about what card is providing you with the actions to play which other card, which isn't relevent.

What's simpler is to count all the cards that give you +2 actions. If you have that many terminal cards + 1, you are done. (Yeah, and Crossroads).

With TR, sure, pyramids help keep track of what's doubled and what's tripled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin (hmmm)
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I never thought of this: what if you double throne room, then only one of the two actions is a duration card... do both throne rooms stay on the table? Or is only the second throne room applied to the action cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pseudonym
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Complete_and_All-Encompas...

You only leave one TR out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.