Niels K.
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For each resource token the Arabs spend for any reason, they gain 2 culture tokens. Does this include resources on cards? I know it says "token", but just want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it has to be an actual token (from the market or a goodie hut), not on a card. This is consistent with the coin investment being contingent on the existence of a token and not a printed coin on a card.

Besides, I think most people agree the Arabs are strong enough, they don't need to be boosted further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
I would say it has to be an actual token (from the market or a goodie hut), not on a card. This is consistent with the coin investment being contingent on the existence of a token and not a printed coin on a card.

Besides, I think most people agree the Arabs are strong enough, they don't need to be boosted further.

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:

It's not quite so obvious to me. The rules are very clear about coin tokens vs printed coins. But they also seem to require that we treat resources printed on cards as resource tokens. For example, from the base game rulebook:

Many tech cards, such as Currency, have abilities on them that require the player to spend resource tokens to use the abilities (p. 22).

Now if we were to accept your token vs printed icon distinction concerning resources, then we would not be able to use the resource granted by culture cards to power an ability on a tech card. But if that's the case, what use is a resource gained this way?

Additionally, in the glossary under 'resource' it says: "Special tokens that may be spent to activate certain abilities found on tech cards" (p. 28).

Until we get an official word, I am going to take 'resource token' to be synonymous with 'resource'. Which means that the Arab's ability triggers for spending a resource from a culture card. As for the Arab's being overpowered, clearly whether they gain 2 culture tokens from using a culture card resource or not makes no appreciable difference to whether they are overpowered or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sch
msg tools
stoodster wrote:
butsam wrote:

It's not quite so obvious to me. The rules are very clear about coin tokens vs printed coins. But they also seem to require that we treat resources printed on cards as resource tokens. For example, from the base game rulebook:

Many tech cards, such as Currency, have abilities on them that require the player to spend resource tokens to use the abilities (p. 22).

Now if we were to accept your token vs printed icon distinction concerning resources, then we would not be able to use the resource granted by culture cards to power an ability on a tech card. But if that's the case, what use is a resource gained this way?

Additionally, in the glossary under 'resource' it says: "Special tokens that may be spent to activate certain abilities found on tech cards" (p. 28).

Until we get an official word, I am going to take 'resource token' to be synonymous with 'resource'. Which means that the Arab's ability triggers for spending a resource from a culture card. As for the Arab's being overpowered, clearly whether they gain 2 culture tokens from using a culture card resource or not makes no appreciable difference to whether they are overpowered or not.

Nice reply!
Now, i'm having the same doubt regarding resource and resource tokens. Newbie question, how can we get that official word?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels K.
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minogusti wrote:
Newbie question, how can we get that official word?

You can ask Rules Questions here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

I did so a month ago, they haven't responded yet. Actually, they stopped responding a few months ago, must be tired of all my questions. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also made questionings that they ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.