Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering making folding mounted boards (having,up to now, made my boards & maps of paper like most of my wargame maps). I know how to do it, and I've reviewed what I can find on BGG about it, but I have a problem - or think I do.

Most of the maps & boards I want to print come as a single image or PDF, which I can print as separate sheets by various methods. If I'm printing on paper, I can join the pieces together, and fold as I please. But to mount them, I have to stick each part to a different piece of backing board. If I have a 4-piece map, the pieces will centre around one point, where the 4 maps meet. So all 4 pieces will print out equal in size, and I can cut the backing board down all around.

But if I have a 6 or 8 piece map, as most wargame maps are, the middle two (or 4) will be full-size, but the outer 4, two on each side, will probably be smaller, narrower, with a margin all around. That's not going to fold well. Is this a problem? How do other DIY-ers deal with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a wargamer, but I have made a number of multi-fold boards (6 to 9 pieces). I always make all of them the same size by using a program such as Tile Mage the cut the original into a set number of equal sized boards.

http://www.backdownload.com/download-TileMage-Image-Splitter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
I'm not a wargamer, but I have made a number of multi-fold boards (6 to 9 pieces). I always make all of them the same size by using a program such as Tile Mage the cut the original into a set number of equal sized boards.
That sounds ideal - unfortunately that link won't open up for me, but I found it elsewhere. I'll test it & get back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it certainly does what it says on the tin - it has limitations (I wish it worked on PDFs...), but those can be worked round (I have Adobe Pro & can save PDFs as JPGs...)

haven't printed anything from the results, but the images look just what I wanted. Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it worked for you...I'd forgotten about the pdf limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.