Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday Mikki and I played Carson City twice. The first time was a tense ranch/drugstore vs. mine/bank battle. I initially wanted to run the mines and grab some banks, but Mikki outdueled me for snagged the first bank that came out in Round 1, since I didn't want to pay that much for a building. I switched to a ranch/drugstore strategy in Round 2, taking the Coolie and snagging two ranches and a drugstore. In Round 3 I started hammering houses and mountains with my property markers, trying to eat up her income from the mines and her bank. The last round I took the sheriff and $5-for-1VP tile and ended up winning by 4 points.

The second game I snagged two mines, each adjacent to 4 mountains on the first turn. I also took the $2-for-1VP action and cashed in all of my money. Mikki raised her eyebrow a bit as if to say "So you're not keeping any money, huh?" I think she thought I was crazy, which is why she didn't quite catch on to my strategy until it was too late for her.

In round 2 I grabbed the grocer and outdueled Mikki for the $3-for-1VP action, and again cashed in all my money except enough for a bank. Round three I chose grocer again and I bought a bank, snagged the $4-for-1VP and cashed out all of my money. By this point Mikki realized she should have been snatching up my mountains, but it was too late. In round 4 she took grocer (to counteract my mines), but I took the mercenary and robbed all of her buildings devil! I also outdueled her for the $5-for-1VP spot, and we finished with me at 65 points and her at 45 points.

It was fun to see such a radical strategy (I bought only 3 buildings and never carried over more than 10 coins in any round) pay off, but I also realize I got away with quite a bit. Mikki should have attacked my mountains much earlier, and she should have taken grocer in Round 3 instead of waiting until Round 4. It was a good two games, though and reaffirmed my thoughts about Carson City. I’d probably rate it an 8 right now. It definitely plays better with the correct rules!

Edited to reflect the fact that no duels actually occurred in the first game. Sorry for the inaccuracy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2-players, is it tight enough that two inherently non-aggressive players will be forced into interaction?

I have the game, but have been hesitant to break it out with just the two of us... Instead, I've just been waiting for the right opportunity with a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
With 2-players, is it tight enough that two inherently non-aggressive players will be forced into interaction?

I have the game, but have been hesitant to break it out with just the two of us... Instead, I've just been waiting for the right opportunity with a group.

Best to use the river side for 2 players. That's what we do and it seems tight enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this 2 player report. We only played it with 4 players a few times and the gun tiles for every player without the dice duels. CC is an awesome game, which reminds me a bit of Puerto Rico and Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:

I would say no, it is not tight enough. I haven't played the River side yet, so I can't comment if that will tighten it up enough, as others have suggested.

Our first game was wide open, with zero duels* precisely because we were both content to stay out of each others' ways. It was still fun, but it didn't have the tension that is inherent in 4-player games. I plan to try the River at some point, so I'll report back when I do.

*I have changed the session report to reflect this. I thought she outdueled me, but I also remember saying to The Wife after the game that it was weird that there were no duels. Maybe I didn't take it because I didn't want to spend the money - it was a higher priced building. Sorry for the inaccuracy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I play it quite a bit. We play the river side AND we don't use the out edge of squares. We only use the grid designated by the dice grid and it is definitely tight enough. My only problem with this game with 2 players is it is too short. My girlfriend and I can play two in a row in an hour. That is pretty cool, but I wish it was a bit longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-Player on the riverside is EXCELLENT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.