Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirkwood Bats wrote:
Forced: After Mirkwood Bats engages a player, deal 1 damage to each character controlled by the player guarding Gollum.

Does Gollum take a damage as well? He's an OBJECTIVE card, but common sense would say he's a character as well. Gracias, as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is Golum a 'character'? Re: Mirkwood Bats
He has stats (well, only life points, actually) and he is a creature, so he's definetly a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, he is a character. From the Return to Mirkwood rule sheet: "Gollum cannot be used to attack, defend, or commit to a quest. Otherwise, Gollum is considered an ally character under the control of the player guarding him. Card effects that affect allies do affect him, and any attachment that can be played on an ally can be played on Gollum." [emphasis mine]

So, card effects like that on Mirkwood Bats will indeed affect Gollum. However, you could also--appropriately--play Self Preservation on Gollum to keep him from dying. Might actually make for an interesting strategy: use Gollum to soak up undefended attacks and then heal the damage away with the attachment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
Yes, he is a character. From the Return to Mirkwood rule sheet: "Gollum cannot be used to attack, defend, or commit to a quest. Otherwise, Gollum is considered an ally character under the control of the player guarding him. Card effects that affect allies do affect him, and any attachment that can be played on an ally can be played on Gollum." [emphasis mine]

So, card effects like that on Mirkwood Bats will indeed affect Gollum. However, you could also--appropriately--play Self Preservation on Gollum to keep him from dying. Might actually make for an interesting strategy: use Gollum to soak up undefended attacks and then heal the damage away with the attachment

D'oh. Thanks. I should have checked the rule sheet first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damage from undefended attacks is assigned to heroes, though, and not allies. But I like the idea of using Gollum as a meat shield. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Damage from undefended attacks is assigned to heroes, though, and not allies. But I like the idea of using Gollum as a meat shield. devil

Gollum special text states that he takes damages from all undefended attacks against the player guarding him. This is a brutal quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, really? Nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, it's tough, but it can actually work in your favor if you're careful. Plus, if you realize the situation is hopeless and defeat is inevitable, it can be very cathartic to let Gollum take an undefended attack from Attercop, Attercop. At least you get to go out on your own terms laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.