Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Mage Knight vs. Runebound rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could folks who own both and have played both Mage Knight and Runebound (core game) please comment on how they compare against one another? The drawbacks to Mage Knight and Runebound sound very similar (i.e. extensive downtime, feels like a solitaire game, etc.). Also, I'm wondering if Mage Knight compares better to Magic Realm than Runebound. Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You might want to check this thread for some posts on this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/735909/why-this-over-runebou...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there was quite some discussing of other things going on in that thread I'm taking the liberty of re-posting my (slightly edited) try of a comparison here.

Note: this goes for Runebound without expansions vs MK:TBG. Also, if you can afford it, both games are imo really nice and worth having.


You should choose Runebound over MK:TBG if...

- you like having lots of options for starting character, equipment and followers

- you like the surprise element of not knowing where you'll be able to move in your next turn or what is going to happen when you enter one of the encounter spots or how you will do in a fight as all of this is determined by dice rolls

- you are on a limited budget, as it's a lot cheaper

- you want all of your components to be of at least average quality from the start (MK:TBG has had multiple reports of easily wearing, damaged and/or bent components, which, however, Wizkids does replace on request)

- you (or your group) is prone to AP (MK:TBG can lead to that, which might make the game drag on)

- you generally prefer theme and fluff over mechanics and like a lighter game

- you don't like searching for rules scattered over two/three different mediums (rulebook, walkthrough and cards)



You should choose MK:TBG over Runebound if...

- you prefer being able to plan your turn and make meaningful decisions pretty much every turn

- you like discovering, as maps will rarely ever look the same

- you don't mind starting out somewhat generic but like customizing your character (focusing on dmg dealing, followers, etc...)

- you want lots of different scenarios from the get go

- you look for a solid solo player experience (while Runebound works solo too, it's not as much fun as MK:TBG solo)

- you care more for solid mechanics than for massive theme (which does exists in MK:TBG)

- you want a game that works solo, vs and co-op



I hope that helps, I probably overlooked a thing here and there (or you disagree with some of the points), but that's what I'd say it comes down to. Overall both games feed a rather different need, so no reason to just have one of them (if you can afford it).
29 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
They basically have fuck all crossover appeal. The games are NOTHING alike. It's a pushbike vs a motorcar, sure both get you from a to b but their the comparisons end, since they do what the do totally different.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on. That covers just about everything. Thanks for the link!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is better in every possible way. Including all the ways that someone earlier in this thread said Runebound is better.
Mage Knight has game mechanics that are awesome, Runebound has game mechanics that are not very good.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on Alex, don't hold back
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in another forum as a reply to a query about comparing the two. I guess this is a better place for it so I'm putting it here as well.
Nothing earth shaking in these observations. It's just how I feel:


Runebound is a boring and repetitive dicefest where the theme and narrative feel pasted on. You don't really feel the story. You're just going through the motions. That said, the game is worthwhile with the Sands of Al Kalim expansion which features a quest system that delivers the narrative that's missing, a map with a shifting sand storm and brutal deserts that provide interesting decisions.

In Mage Knight you uncover the map one tile at a time and populate it as you do. There is a real sense of exploration....and danger. Your play provides the narrative. The game is full of interesting situations. There is so much to think about downtime isn't really an issue because you use it to think. It never felt like multiplayer solitaire to me because your fellow players are close and impacting the map big time. And that element completely disappears when you implement the excellent player vs player combat system.

Runebound is just another fantasy game of which there are many. Mage Knight is a unique and very different take on the genre.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
[Runebound] is worthwhile with the Sands of Al Kalim expansion, which features a quest system that delivers the narrative that's missing [from the original core game], a map with a shifting sand storm, and brutal deserts that provide interesting decisions.

Interesting observation. The Runebound core game plus the Sands of Al Kalim expansion costs about the same as Mage Knight. I wonder if that's a better comparison for discussion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harney
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I can ask a another question for a second, what about people who like Mage Knight but have never played Runebound? Would it be worth a try?

I have just started playing board games again and I like Mage Knight an awful lot. If Runebound (plus the expansion) delivers a similar experience I'd be interested in that in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound sucks. Midnight was a sassy iteration but otherwise it just isnt in the same league as mk. IMO ymmv etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I disagree with the statement that Rb sucks I would strongly advice against buying it because you like MK:TBG. Very different mechanics, very different feel. I think they're both nice, but besides the fantasy world theme there isn't all that much they have in common. If you get the opportunity to try a round of Rb somewhere it's certainly worth a shot though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitewolf wrote:
While I disagree with the statement that Rb sucks I would strongly advice against buying it because you like MK:TBG. Very different mechanics, very different feel. I think they're both nice, but besides the fantasy world theme there isn't all that much they have in common. If you get the opportunity to try a round of Rb somewhere it's certainly worth a shot though.


Bah. Science has proven that Runebound sucks by a variety of metrics. SCIENCE.

But for serious, it's a way-different take on the dude-on-a-map-leveling-up genre.

Thinking someday I will do up a comprehensive MK vs RB vs MR super-review just to lay all this out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harney
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PBeakley wrote:
Nitewolf wrote:
While I disagree with the statement that Rb sucks I would strongly advice against buying it because you like MK:TBG. Very different mechanics, very different feel. I think they're both nice, but besides the fantasy world theme there isn't all that much they have in common. If you get the opportunity to try a round of Rb somewhere it's certainly worth a shot though.


Bah. Science has proven that Runebound sucks by a variety of metrics. SCIENCE.

But for serious, it's a way-different take on the dude-on-a-map-leveling-up genre.

Thinking someday I will do up a comprehensive MK vs RB vs MR super-review just to lay all this out.


I would be really interested in reading something like that. From what little I know of Runebound, it does seem completely and utterly different but I find it's kind of different appealing. I particularly like the idea of the expansion(s?) adding a sense of storytelling to it all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Irishjohn wrote:
PBeakley wrote:
Nitewolf wrote:
While I disagree with the statement that Rb sucks I would strongly advice against buying it because you like MK:TBG. Very different mechanics, very different feel. I think they're both nice, but besides the fantasy world theme there isn't all that much they have in common. If you get the opportunity to try a round of Rb somewhere it's certainly worth a shot though.


Bah. Science has proven that Runebound sucks by a variety of metrics. SCIENCE.

But for serious, it's a way-different take on the dude-on-a-map-leveling-up genre.

Thinking someday I will do up a comprehensive MK vs RB vs MR super-review just to lay all this out.


I would be really interested in reading something like that. From what little I know of Runebound, it does seem completely and utterly different but I find it's kind of different appealing. I particularly like the idea of the expansion(s?) adding a sense of storytelling to it all.


Runebound has a lot more storytelling, but it doesn't appeal to the anal retentive types who think boardgaming makes them smart and can't handle chance.
Mageknight basically has a bunch of random shit happen at the start of your turn then you get to react to it. So it's appeal is like a puzzle.
Runebound has you make your moves then have the randomness come into it - so it's pushing your luck/luck midigation. It's appeal is like that of gambling.
Both are fantastic. Mageknight probably feels more 'rewarding', while runebound feels more 'exciting'.
29 
 Thumb up
2.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Runebound has a lot more storytelling, but it doesn't appeal to the anal retentive types who think boardgaming makes them smart and can't handle chance.
Mageknight basically has a bunch of random shit happen at the start of your turn then you get to react to it. So it's appeal is like a puzzle.
Runebound has you make your moves then have the randomness come into it - so it's pushiong your luck/luck midigation. It's appeal is like that of gambling.
Both are fantastic. Mageknight probably feels more 'rewarding', while runebound feels more 'exciting'.


Well said! Have some GG. I love both games and couldn't have said it any better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Exciting" isn't the adjective I'd apply to Runebound. Not without the scare-quotes around it at least.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Runebound is a game I wanted to like so much I bought it (and sold it) twice. I just loved the movement mechanic (still do!) and I so desperately wanted a game that compared, at least a little, to my D&Ding days.

But it's an awful game. Truly horrendous. Roll, move, draw card, roll, repeat. And, with a group, you'll be doing that for a long, long time, with almost no interaction between the players.

Now, MKTBG is one of the handful of games that I would consider truly a hybrid. I think it's genetics are about 80/20 Euro/AT, though, and that's just enough for me to feel that it's a bit too much like an efficiency exercise and puzzle game to really be immersive. My search for my Holy Grail adventure game continues (Magic Realm is still the closest).

That said, MGTBG is a good game. Runebound is a lousy game. Easy choice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Runebound has you make your moves then have the randomness come into it - so it's pushiong your luck/luck midigation. It's appeal is like that of gambling.


I would rather just play craps, and after every successful throw, scream 'I have slain a Greater Lich!' Cheaper, takes less time, and you might even win some money!

arrrh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
wolvendancer wrote:

But it's an awful game. Truly horrendous. Roll, move, draw card, roll, repeat. And, with a group, you'll be doing that for a long, long time, with almost no interaction between the players.


The player interaction between RB and MK is exactly the same.
In fact all of the supposed 'flaws' in RB are found in MK.

Runebound doesn't have Mageknight's biggest flaw tho - a snooty fanbase.
13 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harney
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Irishjohn wrote:
PBeakley wrote:
Nitewolf wrote:
While I disagree with the statement that Rb sucks I would strongly advice against buying it because you like MK:TBG. Very different mechanics, very different feel. I think they're both nice, but besides the fantasy world theme there isn't all that much they have in common. If you get the opportunity to try a round of Rb somewhere it's certainly worth a shot though.


Bah. Science has proven that Runebound sucks by a variety of metrics. SCIENCE.

But for serious, it's a way-different take on the dude-on-a-map-leveling-up genre.

Thinking someday I will do up a comprehensive MK vs RB vs MR super-review just to lay all this out.


I would be really interested in reading something like that. From what little I know of Runebound, it does seem completely and utterly different but I find it's kind of different appealing. I particularly like the idea of the expansion(s?) adding a sense of storytelling to it all.


Runebound has a lot more storytelling, but it doesn't appeal to the anal retentive types who think boardgaming makes them smart and can't handle chance.
Mageknight basically has a bunch of random shit happen at the start of your turn then you get to react to it. So it's appeal is like a puzzle.
Runebound has you make your moves then have the randomness come into it - so it's pushing your luck/luck midigation. It's appeal is like that of gambling.
Both are fantastic. Mageknight probably feels more 'rewarding', while runebound feels more 'exciting'.


Very cool, sounds like fun to me. I'm pretty new to board games beyond Stratego or Scrabble, and I am totally fine with dice rolls. I'm going to have to look into RB in the near future, I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
Avatar
mb
wolvendancer wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Runebound has you make your moves then have the randomness come into it - so it's pushiong your luck/luck midigation. It's appeal is like that of gambling.


I would rather just play craps, and after every successful throw, scream 'I have slain a Greater Lich!' Cheaper, takes less time, and you might even win some money!



+1

Or get beaten up and thrown out by security.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
wolvendancer wrote:

But it's an awful game. Truly horrendous. Roll, move, draw card, roll, repeat. And, with a group, you'll be doing that for a long, long time, with almost no interaction between the players.


The player interaction between RB and MK is exactly the same.
In fact all of the supposed 'flaws' in RB are found in MK.

Runebound doesn't have Mageknight's biggest flaw tho - a snooty fanbase.


Ah! Well as long as it's a "fact." shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The player interaction between RB and MK is exactly the same.
In fact all of the supposed 'flaws' in RB are found in MK.

Runebound doesn't have Mageknight's biggest flaw tho - a snooty fanbase.


Quite true on the interaction front, but MKTBG is a solo-centric Euro hybrid, so it's what I expect, for better or for worse. But all of Runebound's flaws in MKTBG? Seriously? All one does in MKTBG is roll some movement dice, draw one card, roll some more dice, finish the turn? MKTBG is a mindless rote experience where the game plays you, not the other way 'round? I never knew.

Good job calling people who don't agree with you names, though. That's always good fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
wolvendancer wrote:
All one does in MKTBG is draw some cards, play some cards to move, draw a chit to see what you are fighting, play some cards for combat, finish the turn?


I think that is what you meant.

Quote:
MKTBG is a mindless rote experience where the game plays you, not the other way 'round? I never knew.


You mustn't be much of a player if that is what you think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.