Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Which version is nicer? 1st or 2nd Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard differing opinions. Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd edition Review: A Side-by-Side Comparison
17 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Board and cards are different in the second, which seems to be generally accepted as an improvement.

Dice are better in the first.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazgul are different, so not so top-heavy. I like the look of the 1st edition brown board, even though I do have to admit the second edition board looks more user-friendly...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:


THAT is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I have the upgrade kit on the way, but am considering purchasing the 2nd edition just because it's such a good game. I do think that I like the original map better.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob L
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mixed chunks of my two sets together. My 2nd edition has the dice from first, they're glossy and nice, the minis, they're stiffer plastic. I kept the new board, it's nicer looking, the new cards (obviously) and the new punched out cardboard pieces, they're aligned better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
I have the upgrade kit on the way, but am considering purchasing the 2nd edition just because it's such a good game. I do think that I like the original map better.


If you have the upgrade kit on the way, and you don't want to play with the new board, then don't buy the second edition! You've already got everything you need. And personally, I think the original Nazgul sculpt way better.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They do look cooler, more ominous. It just becomes a question of whether you have tipping issues. If you can stabilize them so they aren't prone to tipping, say by bending the figure a little in hot water or weighting the base, then I'd go with the older figures. The one example I've seen, they didn't see too bad that you couldn't stabilize them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one HUGE question still to be answered regarding the continued value of the first edition: What about campatibility with future expansions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Boogalou wrote:
I have the upgrade kit on the way, but am considering purchasing the 2nd edition just because it's such a good game. I do think that I like the original map better.


If you have the upgrade kit on the way, and you don't want to play with the new board, then don't buy the second edition! You've already got everything you need. And personally, I think the original Nazgul sculpt way better.


But but but... the Gollum figure has got to be worth the price along.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
There is one HUGE question still to be answered regarding the continued value of the first edition: What about campatibility with future expansions?


If you purchase the Upgrade Kit you will be future proof!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
ozimek wrote:
There is one HUGE question still to be answered regarding the continued value of the first edition: What about campatibility with future expansions?


If you purchase the Upgrade Kit you will be future proof!

As I understand it, that would still render all the goodies in the old expansion useless, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
Veldrin wrote:
ozimek wrote:
There is one HUGE question still to be answered regarding the continued value of the first edition: What about campatibility with future expansions?


If you purchase the Upgrade Kit you will be future proof!

As I understand it, that would still render all the goodies in the old expansion useless, right?


Nothing stops you from playing the First Edition expansion or the Rohan and Gondor scenarios from Battles of the Third Age.

They will however not be compatible with possible future expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
The 2nd edition map is so much better for new players. The old map has big problems with "gotcha" adjacencies and non-adjacencies. The 2nd edition map just plays so much better, because you can actually see at a glance what is adjacent to what.

Examples include Helm's Deep-Edoras false adjacency, Old Forest Road and the region to its southeast, Harondor, and Mordor itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read one forum comment (that I cannot relocate) that the plastic used in the figures in 2E is softer than 1E figures, but I've not seen any confirmation of this opinion elsewhere. Can anyone who has compared the figs side by side comment?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd Edition figures are softer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic used in the initial printing of War of the Ring are the best. The minis are firm, but will flex if pressure is applies. When the 1st edition of WotR was reprinted in 2008 (iirc), I noticed that the pieces were much more bendy. The figures in Collection was of a similar bendiness.

Are the figures in the 2nd edition even more bendy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The figures are the same material as the 2008 reprint, or the CE.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did notice quite a bit of bend in my 2nd ed figures compared to my 2008 1st but I decided Ill just use the hot/cold method to straigten them myself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
The figures are the same material as the 2008 reprint, or the CE.


Thanks, Roberto. Nice to have it straight from the horse's mouth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.