Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: Help With Scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I just picked up this game used and am trying to figure it out....Going over the contents it says that there are 12 scenarios....
I can not find any scenarios
I have all 162 action cards, all infantry cards and all the vehicle cards...I have all of the little tiny pieces but where are the scenarios?
Am I missing something? I have been looking at pictures of other people's games online and it seems that I cannot find any pictures of anything else that I do not have...
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i forget, aren't they in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back of rule book...starting at pge 36. First scenario is A. Meeting of Patrols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I see it now...Thanks...I wasnt sure if there was a set of cards besides what was in the book....
On the back of the box in the contents it has 12 scenarios listed and also a 36 page rule book
It threw me off and picking up the game at a thrift store for 50 cents you just never know
Thanks again for the quick response
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides, 5th century BC
mbmbmbmbmb
therealgoody wrote:
....picking up the game at a thrift store for 50 cents...

Holy Schneikes! surprise Major league bargain -- well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Yes I was also very surprised when I saw the prices they sell for....I have a knack for finding games like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides, 5th century BC
mbmbmbmbmb
Well heck! Why didn't I ever think of trolling thrift stores for wargames? And maybe I could pick up some nice slightly used flannel shirts at the same time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
Well heck! Why didn't I ever think of trolling thrift stores for wargames? And maybe I could pick up some nice slightly used flannel shirts at the same time...

IMHO, wargames are the rarest of games you find in a thrift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
technically there are way more than 12 scenarios. There's a page that describes how to "create your own" scenario. I've briefly read over it once and was too confused to give it a try.

I couldn't understand why the player that's willing to spend the least amount on personality cards has to be the offensive player. But I could be reading it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
technically there are way more than 12 scenarios.

Yes. Each of the 12 "scenarios" (except I & K) can be played either American vs. German or Russian vs. Germans. That gets you to 22. And each of the 8 Attacked vs. Defender scenarios can be played with either the Axis or Allied in either role, giving you 16 more possibilities giving you 38.

If you want to get creative most of these scenarios can be played with both sides given elite troops or second line troops or handicapped with elite vs. regular or elite vs. second line, etc. You could play any of these scenarios at night. That's even without getting desperate and matching Russians vs. Americans in a "Patton Drives on Moscow" Campaign.

That's easily 1000's of scenarios in just Up Front alone!

Banzai adds another 12 scenarios (Although A & M are duplicated) with many similar permutations.

(Or you could download my Scenarios file for all of the published AH scenarios: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/10656/upfront-scenario...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
technically there are way more than 12 scenarios. There's a page that describes how to "create your own" scenario. I've briefly read over it once and was too confused to give it a try.

There several options in DYO scenarios.

The most common way for DYO is to take one of the standard scenarios (which covers a wide variety battlefield situations) use the DYO point total given for that side and buy the men using the PT: listed on each card. You get discounts if you choose to bring in reinforcements (but that way you may actually see a Sherman or T34 or Tiger). Extra snipers, secondary weapons (demo charges and panzerfausts etc.) have an additional cost. Etc.

A very popular variant is "501 City Fight in Four" Scenario B City Fight with 501 DYO points per side with a 4 deck time limit.

Other ways are to draw for sides/victory conditions for DYO, most people stick to the method above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
And even with all the available scenarios I'd wager I've played Meeting of Patrols 10-1 over all the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
And even with all the available scenarios I'd wager I've played Meeting of Patrols 10-1 over all the others.

I have done the same too...played MOP so many times, but found myself slowly going thru the rule book to understand infiltration tanks etc...hard going...even after all these years...always coming back to the 1st scenario...UF never has played the same twice. Brilliant game...awkward, dense rule book...which is being rewritten I see...I love the Banzai expansion...the cool: Brits facing the fanatical Japanese! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Quote:
technically there are way more than 12 scenarios.

That's even without getting desperate and matching Russians vs. Americans in a "Patton Drives on Moscow" Campaign.

Desperate...or creative... Depends how you see it. Then let the Soviets counterattack in the Britsh sector. We tried that one too. great fun even if ahistorical. If you, like me,over the years have played somewhere between 50 and 100 historical campaigns, a couple of ahistorical ones is only refreshing.

And if you make a quick search, you'll find free of charge the following expansions: Finland and Greece.

Turn to the "Old Soldiers" magazine and you'll find even more expansions if you're willing to put some bucks into it.

And over the years, "General" magazine has published suggested rules for:
-Winter warfare
-Urban warfare
-Mountain warfare

Combine winter and mountain and you're in for yet another experience.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:

Same here. A really fun scenario without all the clunky armor rules. This game shines brightest with infantry only scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
Same here. A really fun scenario without all the clunky armor rules. This game shines brightest with infantry only scenarios.

My review of the various scenarios: Most of the scenarios are entertaining with particular highlights and lowlights:
- C/O Assaulting a Fortification/Pillbox: A tough challenge for the attacker. One variant I've played that gives the attacker a chance is Wasp in Hornets Nest: Pillbox placed on Group B at RC 1, British attacking Germans, with the British getting both a FT and Wasp (i.e. Bren carrier with an FT)
- D/Q: Rear Guard/Delaying Action: I like the run away and pursuit flavor of these scenarios.
- E/F/T/U: Light tank vs. a squad: Most of these are are about the level of vehicle action I enjoy. The side with the tank has to go out ant win--the defender merely must hang on, but they aren't overwhemed either.
- G: Block Clearing: Here is the only UF scenario where you'll see a T34 or other beat. The problem is the scenario is essentially fire away with the tank and pummel the defense. The defense can only hope for a broken weapon or a lucky shot. cry
- H Armor Advance: Mainly just a copy of F with a stronger tank and defender getting reinforcements. The tank gets a big edge here.
- I: Partisans: This is actually an interesting scenario to try, but consider how to best use the attributes of the partisans.
- J: Free for All: Never played this 3 player scenario, but have used night rules in other scenarios. The night rules give the attackers cover to advance, but the defenders can burn the deck with multiple sighting checks.
- K Elite Troops on the Attack: This 2 part scenario is a highlight. You have to work hard with the Elite troops to win twice, whereas as the defender you merely hope to do enough damage in part one so you hang on in part 2.
- L Outpost Line: Attacking weakened defensive line usually with an interesting toy to play with: radio, infantry gun, MMG (varies by nationality)
- N Jungle Meeting: Similar to B City Fight. I just wish that AH provided European OOB's to make Dense Forest Meeting Engagement (Use jungle rules except Marsh can be rejected.)
- P: Evacuation: The scemario where the scenario where you strat in range of enemy firepower. Defender wins if they can run away fast enough, but if they can't they must be prepared to make a stand.
- R Paratroop Drop: A very random but often fun scenario. Paratroop are elite and lightly armed and have to form a 5 man group at RC3 or higher. If they too close, the defenders can open fire immediately. If the land far enough back, there is a good opportunity to form the large group and advance.
- V: Ambush: The only 5 decker and very imbalanced as the the defenders get random reinforcements (But interesting not prorated on the DYO totals) The defender needs to draw Black 5 or 6 when he goes for reinforcements (Made even worse that he only gets an attempt at the end of the deck or when the opponent draws a Black 6.) Usually the defender gets blown away by deck 3 or earlier. cry
W: Surprise Attack: The worst scenario. Spends half the first deck trying to draw cards: Attacker trying to find movement, maybe a good terrain and usable fire card, the defender looking for a Fire cards that needs only 1 FP to use and then rallies. Who ever draws first wins easily. cry
X: Surrounded: Never played this FTF, but on Internet Up Front, this is a fun scenario. The starts in front o4f and behind the enemy. But he has to balance his force, or the defender will pick the weaker side to rush against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In most cases I think Richard has nailed the pros and cons of each scenario pretty well. I still feel like throwing in a few commets, though.

rri1 wrote:

- H Armor Advance: Mainly just a copy of F with a stronger tank and defender getting reinforcements. The tank gets a big edge here.

Don't forget the fact that the defender always gets an AT gun. This should be the prime target of the attacking infantry. I wouldn't say the tank really gets the edge here. It's mostly a matter of who hits first. In my experience the tank gets blasted first in most cases. At least if the AT gun gets some good setup-terrain.

rri1 wrote:

- N Jungle Meeting: Similar to B City Fight. I just wish that AH provided European OOB's to make Dense Forest Meeting Engagement (Use jungle rules except Marsh can be rejected.)

Why not use the OOBs for City Fight and skip the Demo Charge? Dense forest means combat at close ranges. So the machine pistols would be a useful weapon also in this instance.

rri1 wrote:

- V: Ambush: The only 5 decker and very imbalanced as the the defenders get random reinforcements (But interesting not prorated on the DYO totals) The defender needs to draw Black 5 or 6 when he goes for reinforcements (Made even worse that he only gets an attempt at the end of the deck or when the opponent draws a Black 6.) Usually the defender gets blown away by deck 3 or earlier. cry

Black 5 or 6? Isn't that a little pessimistic? On a black 3 or 4, you get to choose any one PC except an MMG. Bring in an additional LMG or maybe a mortar, and the attackers suddenly has a less rosy picture. Apart from that I agree that it in most cases are over by the third deck. The defenders are pretty dependent on getting some reinforcements to win unless they are very good at running.

rri1 wrote:

W: Surprise Attack: The worst scenario. Spends half the first deck trying to draw cards: Attacker trying to find movement, maybe a good terrain and usable fire card, the defender looking for a Fire cards that needs only 1 FP to use and then rallies. Who ever draws first wins easily. cry

I actually find this to be one of the most entertaining scenarios. After all, the defender starts with one less card on his hand due to the SL being pinned (sleeping). Of course, much is dependent on the defender drawing hero cards and getting low fire cards to get the action going, but if the attacker is swift and gets his guys to good range and perhaps in a flanking position, you'll have one hell of a shootout. Besides, even if the defender is able to start the ball early, he might still find himself looking for sufficient rally cards many, many turns later. I'll have a go at this scenario any day. But if I get to choose the attacker, I'll go for the Soviets (or Japanese). In defense I believe the British are the toughest opponents due to their rather good one-man LMG and firpower bonus.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.