Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Diplomacy and promise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will G
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Diplomacy states that I can use influence ase block, so can i play dimplomacy during combat and play promise adding more influence to make as more block?

I ask becuase interaction cards cannot be played during combat I'm wondering if diplomacy trumps that rule allowing me to play interaction cards as block??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironmanowar wrote:
I ask becuase interaction cards cannot be played during combat I'm wondering if diplomacy trumps that rule allowing me to play interaction cards as block??

Maybe I just overlooked something, but where do the rules say you can't play influence cards during combat? As far as I know, only Healing cards are specifically forbidden. It's just in most combats, playing influence cards wouldn't do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Maybe I just overlooked something, but where do the rules say you can't play influence cards during combat? As far as I know, only Healing cards are specifically forbidden. It's just in most combats, playing influence cards wouldn't do anything.

This is correct, nothing prevents you from playing Influence cards in combat. Only healing cards (hand symbol) may not be played in combat. Promise could be used for additional Block in conjunction with Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will G
United States
flag msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ironmanowar wrote:

Walkthrough page 7 Under Card types

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would go with Diplomacy trumping the restriction, i.e. you could argue that it adds the combat symbol to cards providing influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will G
United States
flag msg tools
mb
opticode wrote:
My vote would go with Diplomacy trumping the restriction, i.e. you could argue that it adds the combat symbol to cards providing influence.

That's the way I want to play it, so that diplomacy does'nt suck so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that it's in the walkthrough, but I don't believe that this restriction actually exists in the rules. I think the walkthrough was just trying to be helpful, since influence generally does nothing during combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly everything you need to play the game should be in the main rulebook, and I don't believe there's anything in there preventing you from playing Influence cards in combat. I think James is right, the Walkthrough was just trying to help explain the different uses for the different types of cards and as a result inadvertently stated something that breaks one of the cards (Diplomacy). In any case, I think the text on the Diplomacy card should supersede the rules, allowing Influence to be used in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Supposedly everything you need to play the game should be in the main rulebook, and I don't believe there's anything in there preventing you from playing Influence cards in combat. I think James is right, the Walkthrough was just trying to help explain the different uses for the different types of cards and as a result inadvertently stated something that breaks one of the cards (Diplomacy). In any case, I think the text on the Diplomacy card should supersede the rules, allowing Influence to be used in combat.

From what the designer has said, the Walkthrough was meant to be the primary reference, with the Rules folder supplying supplementary information. Generally with games that use cards in this way, the text on the card "over-rules" the "rules." Which is why it is so important that the wording on the cards be very carefully chosen (Mana Draw is one example of where the wording may have caused confusion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironmanowar wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ironmanowar wrote:

Walkthrough page 7 Under Card types

That doesn't say you can't play it in combat, just that you play it Influence cards during interact. Since it's the walkthrough, that is just as likely to mean that it's just giving you the standard situation of when they are played.

IE, since even the walkthrough only has one card type that specifically has an exclusive time you CANNOT play it, it seems probable to me that other cards can be played in other situations, just not normally with any effect.

But I guess getting this on the official FAQ either way wouldn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
People are overthinking this. The card says you can use Influence as Block. You can obviously play Block cards in combat, and this is obviously the way the card was meant to be used. Case closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also dealt with in some depth in another thread (FAQ building thread I think). Yes you can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
opticode wrote:

Card effects can and often do modify the usual rules regarding...anything. It's the way these card games are meant to work. Making the wording on the cards clear and concise is the trick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
Along the lines of Diplomacy: "You may use influence as Block this turn"
Can block generated in this way be spread across multiple attackers?

For eg:
Lets say I play the stronger effect of Promise (+4 influence)
Can I use 2 of those to block enemy A and then the remainder to block enemy B?

Or should we read Promise now as a card which can generate +4 block
-and therefore (following the rules of blocking) can only be used to block one enemy at a time (aka: the remainder is lost)

Anyone have opinions on that?

Thanks!
-----------------
Update: This situation is covered in The Lost Legion Rule Book (page 9) under the "Examples" section.

In short: You can split up the block points across different enemies.

-Sorry I must have missed that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely the second. Use influence [exactly] as Block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slushduck wrote:
The easy way to understand that situation is by proceeding as always:

You're fighting two enemies, and play diplomacy for influence 4 and promise for influence 2. You pass on range and the enemies attack.

In the block phase, you could turn all the influence in block (and lose the leftover block; leftover block is always lost). Or you can convert just one part of the influence into block, and then the remaining influence isn't lost (influence is lost only at the start of your action and at the end of turn).

Notice that you can also play block cards (maybe adding some part of the converted-to-block influence); but this block, as usual, can't be used to fight two enemies. You can only split the influence, not the block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
slushduck wrote:
Update: This situation is covered in The Lost Legion Rule Book (page 9) under the "Examples" section.

-Sorry I must have missed that!

A bit misleading.

In short: Influence/movement pools may be divided as desired, so agility and diplomacy may effect multiple enemies.

Block may never be split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
Thanks for the clarifying perspective and examples Magnesi, Bart!!
Makes total sense to me now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.