Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this on kickstarteer and backed it. To me it seems like a alternative to Hive? No?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
I saw this on kickstarteer and backed it. To me it seems like a alternative to Hive? No?

It is the same sort of game as Hive - a 2p abstract... but it is definitely different from Hive.

In my experience, the main difference between FTW and Hive is that in Hive (and many other abstracts) you get 1 move at a time, while in FTW you can get , sometimes 3, and if you arrange it right, as many as 4 moves in a row. This may make the game slightly more chaotic than a classic abstract like Chess, Go, or Hive, but to me it makes the game a lot more fun. I generally dislike abstract games, largely because I find it difficult to do a clever combination of moves (because my opponent gets a turn between each of my moves) - in FTW you get a little bit of that "clever combo" feel every turn, but if you're not careful with that you may be handing your player the big 3 or 4 move combo opportunities!

Hopefully that will give you an idea of the difference between Hive and FTW. Same genre, different stye. If you like looking for (and defending against) clever combinations of moves strung together, then you will like FTW. If you prefer a more pure "I go, you go" abstract, you might still like FTW, but you might want to give it a try first.

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:

I'm a huge Hive fan and For The Win (FTW) is certainly inspired by Hive. If you like Hive, you'll probably enjoy FTW as well. I'd say both games are in the same category (abstract tile laying), but they are different enough to provide a distinct experience. Think of it as comparing Chess to Checkers or Risk to Axis & Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played this a few times and while it's certainly got a Hive feel - after all it's a two-player abstract tile movement thing - but it is definitely different. The ability to get a bunch of moves in one chain is a nice spin and really makes you think about whether you should conserve actions of just blow them quickly.

It'll be interesting to see what the final version looks like, but for now this is a pretty sweet little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
idlemichael wrote:
I've now played this a few times and while it's certainly got a Hive feel - after all it's a two-player abstract tile movement thing - but it is definitely different. The ability to get a bunch of moves in one chain is a nice spin and really makes you think about whether you should conserve actions of just blow them quickly.

It'll be interesting to see what the final version looks like, but for now this is a pretty sweet little game.

Thanks so much for the feedback and the kind words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the opinions and feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.