Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artemis looked around the corner and saw only one goblin. "How hard could this be?" He asked himself. The task was simple, go in and grab some old treasure from a dragon's lair... kid's stuff really.
"TEMPUS!" Wulfgar cried as he flung himself on the goblin.
"If you don't shut up your large barbarian pet, we will be eaten." Hissed Allisa as she stepped past them both.

In matter of moments, they were besieged by a large bear, a huge snake, and a nasty gargoyle. Artemis and Wulfgar were back to back trying not to be torn to bits, Allisa stepped around the corner as she heard the tell tale twang of a trip wire.

"Oh no" She closed her eyes.

The walls started to shift and slam, Artemis was knocked aside to a dark corner into the arms of another gargoyle! Things were looking bad.

The fight raged on, Artemis' armor was damaged and needed repair. A brain with tenticals jumped from the shadows as Wulfgar threw down a nasty wolf. Allisa was entagled with a wraith and deadly drow...

++++

Ashardaloft is our nickname for these games mixed together. Not mixed like some of the custom scenarios do, but truly all together.

My system is simple, and I can't stress how much fun it can be. I wanted to highlight it here for those of you who hadn't seen me mention it before. After I explain it, I'll go back and let you how this specific adventure ended...

The first thing you need is a deck of playing cards (two isn't a bad thing). Since this variant has you drawing from multiple dungeon stacks, the card deck will be used to track the "tile" progress through the adventure. Each exploration phase when a tile would be placed, draw a playing card as if it were the tile stack. If it wasn't the Joker, just draw a real tile from your set. If it is, place the special tile.
Remove the Jokers and face cards from 1 deck. Pick an adventure to play. Stack the playing card deck as the instructions state using the joker as the special trigger (or target) tile. If more tiles are needed for a complex adventure use other face cards to represent the the other target tiles.

Next set up the board. Grab the start tile from the set that the adventure uses. Pull out all the needed components as usual. Set aside the special tiles- do not shuffle or set the dungeon stack- you do this with the playing cards.
The playing card deck makes sure the target tile will still be the 8-12th (or whatever it needs to be) tile drawn. When you get the joker- place the actual tile you have set aside down on the table rather than draw a random one.

Everyone picks their hero. Whatever set the hero is from is the set that player will "draw" from. Draw here means- treasure, encounter, monster, tiles, etc.
So, for example, if you are Drizzt every time you need to place a tile or monster, or draw a treasure or encounter you draw from the LoD supplies. Every time a CR draws, it is from CR, WoA from WoA.

I only change this if I have three or more players and two or more heroes from the same set- I will assign each player to a game set to draw from.

The game rules go unchanged from there.

This does mean you will have the tiles all mixing together on the board. Zombies fighting along side grells and drow.... it gets crazy.

The tactics become harder, as monster combos throw you for a loop (blazing skeleton + gibbering mouther)....
These games usually turn out tough and exciting. Last one had 0 surges left, all but 1 party member down, and 1 HP remaining.

So I fast forward to the end game...

++++

"It must be around here some where! I can smell the rot of the nest!" Artemis grumbled.
When he turned the corner, a large cavern opened up before him. A large drake stood snarling in the corner, two ghosts (a wraith and a specter) floated about behind a stout gray dwarf sentry guard.
Behind them, scattered about were pile of treasure!

In the distance the unmistakable roar of Ashardalon could be heard. He left to action gaining their attention, while Wulfgar and Allisa went to digging for the lost item.

"Hurry up! The dragon nears!" Artemis shouted over the chaos.
More wraiths, more wolves, elementals could be heard in the distance. Artemis focused on the drake, and unleashed a masterful strike! The beast lay still for a moment... and then got angry.

Wulfgar found the treasure and started a run to find a way out. Allisa was not far behind, but manged to slay the drake to buy Artemis a little more time until-
Too late. Ashardalon turned the corner, fire breathing, claws tearing...

Artemis and Wulfgar were incinerated in seconds. The item falling to the ground in Wulfgar's hands just feet from daylight.
Allisa, wounded by the wolf managed to stagger around the corner and out the door with the treasure and an ounce of her life left.

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a classic title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Response
Interesting!

The only thing I think i don't like is that the players are not likely to draw the same monster cards and so activate multiple monsters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does happen less- but you'd be surprised how often it does happen. Still the difficulty is not lessened as the monster combos from different games tend to tougher to deal with then the extra activations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.