Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Star Trek: Catan» Forums » General

Subject: And this is not a retheme of Starfarers of Catan because... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is mentioned in another thread, but in grand geek style I am creating a new thread because we all know it is THAT important.

Starfarers is out of print. Starfarers is about space travel, trading, and meeting other races (and sometimes blowing them up). Starfarers could use a few tweaks.

It is the perfect chance to make so many people happy and it fits the Star Trek theme, but this is what we get instead.

shake
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, kinda agree with you. When they first wanted to make a Star Trek Catan game, they could have rethemed Starfarers.

I'll still buy this one, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
This is mentioned in another thread, but in grand geek style I am creating a new thread because we all know it is THAT important.

Starfarers is out of print. Starfarers is about space travel, trading, and meeting other races (and sometimes blowing them up). Starfarers could use a few tweaks.

It is the perfect chance to make so many people happy and it fits the Star Trek theme, but this is what we get instead.

shake


Agreed. This is just "cashing in/selling out" in the same vein as Monopoly . . .
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look nice, though . . .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nap16 wrote:
Agreed. This is just "cashing in/selling out" in the same vein as Monopoly . . .

And making money is bad?

Why do you design games? I'm guessing to sell them and make money.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineer Dad wrote:

Why do you design games? I'm guessing to sell them and make money.


I design games for fun. Granted, I'm not a pro, but I'd wager that of the people who design games, a very small percentage of them do it for money.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineer Dad wrote:
Nap16 wrote:
Agreed. This is just "cashing in/selling out" in the same vein as Monopoly . . .

And making money is bad?

Why do you design games? I'm guessing to sell them and make money.


Actually, I didn't say making money was bad; however, taking a game system and merely slapping a "commercial-theme-of-the-month" on it--is "cashing in/selling out" IMHO. Not that anything is wrong with that . . . in fact, I will probably pick this up (maybe).

Interesting that your reply seems to suggest that "cashing in/selling out" is "bad" . . . just not my words.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in general "selling out" is considered "bad". When your favorite, hipster indie band that you've followed for years suddenly puts out a poppy, commercial-friendly disc of pablum, that's kind of the definition of selling out.

I agree, however, that slapping on a theme to a game is pretty weak.

And the reason it's not rethemed Starfarers is that the cost of the ships in starfarers, or even some other cheaper component to replace them, plus paying for the license, would make the game prohibitively expensive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nap16 wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
This is mentioned in another thread, but in grand geek style I am creating a new thread because we all know it is THAT important.

Starfarers is out of print. Starfarers is about space travel, trading, and meeting other races (and sometimes blowing them up). Starfarers could use a few tweaks.

It is the perfect chance to make so many people happy and it fits the Star Trek theme, but this is what we get instead.

shake


Agreed. This is just "cashing in/selling out" in the same vein as Monopoly . . .


Alternatively.. there are lots of people that love Catan and love Star Trek.. it's a beautiful thing! Why shouldn't they make us happy?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is if the theme doesn't fit the mechanics. I know Eurogamers and CCG'ers have a wide tolerance for this sort of thing, but Ameritrashers and roleplayers don't. Dunno about the Trekkies.

Is anyone going to make a Star Trek retheme geeklist, or am I going to have to do it?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
The problem is if the theme doesn't fit the mechanics. I know Eurogamers and CCG'ers have a wide tolerance for this sort of thing, but Ameritrashers and roleplayers don't. Dunno about the Trekkies.

Is anyone going to make a Star Trek retheme geeklist, or am I going to have to do it?


well there's this: Complete List of Star Trek board games and role playing games , where I just learned of a Star Trek Cosmic Encouter type game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
Starfarers is out of print. Starfarers is about space travel, trading, and meeting other races (and sometimes blowing them up). Starfarers could use a few tweaks.

It is the perfect chance to make so many people happy and it fits the Star Trek theme, but this is what we get instead.

I suspect it's because they wanted to use a working game engine, instead of a broken one... whistle
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little interested in this, until, I saw it was ALL Federation ships???

How silly, using 4 different races would have been so much better and themeatic.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it looked a fairly thematic, if one were making a game about the more mundane Federation-of-Planets back-story of the Original series--colonies, trade missions, and Klingons harassing border planets. Maybe the development cards will add some of the fun elements of the show. Otherwise, it may seem like a Star Wars version of Knizia's "Quo Vadis?"--yes, it would work, but why.

Mind you, it sure looks pretty...whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathleen Feduke
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Since someone stole my copy of Starfarers I'm looking forward to this. I'm not a Trekkie but look forward to a chance to play a new version of Starfarers without paying through the nose for a used copy of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cabradefoc cabradefoc
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

they want to sell more games...
1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameVaultVirginia wrote:
Since someone stole my copy of Starfarers I'm looking forward to this. I'm not a Trekkie but look forward to a chance to play a new version of Starfarers without paying through the nose for a used copy of it.


Except it's not starfarers...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm confused about how this is even being compared to starfarers or what the purpose of this thread is.

Just because starfarers was space themed and so is star trek doesn't mean that there is any relation between the games (besides the fact that they are both Catan).

I also don't understand how it makes any difference to anyone whether or not they titled this as "Starfarers revised" or "Star Trek Catan".
It is just a name. Is that all this thread is about, what they called the game? I don't get it. All of these games are just Settlers with a different theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
devinology wrote:
I'm confused about how this is even being compared to starfarers or what the purpose of this thread is.

Just because starfarers was space themed and so is star trek doesn't mean that there is any relation between the games (besides the fact that they are both Catan).

I also don't understand how it makes any difference to anyone whether or not they titled this as "Starfarers revised" or "Star Trek Catan".
It is just a name. Is that all this thread is about, what they called the game? I don't get it. All of these games are just Settlers with a different theme.


The purpose of the thread was that this would have been the perfect chance to retheme starfarers of Catan (an out of print game), but instead they make the incredibly lame decision to just cash in on the star trek franchise by tacking it on to vanilla Catan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another factor that hasn't been mentioned, which is that this may be a safe way to "test the waters" so to speak. Releasing a successful and popular game with a successful and popular license in a successful and popular mass market retailer. If it succeeds as they hope/believe it should and meets the sales goals, I could see them then re-releasing Starfarers with a Trek theme and possibly a rename to a complete Trek only title.

As Starfarers isn't as well known as Settlers, they may feel that a settlers retheme is more likely to be a hit for the first one out. Then, later, a Star Trek-Farers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.