Subject: Adding cards to Core Game permanently rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dani H
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
I was wondering what sort of encounter cards could be added from expansions on a permanent basis to the core game. I know the items and some mechanics like relationships can be added to core Arkham, but what about location cards and other world encounters?

I got the Lurker expansion, and the Mythos cards seem to mix well with the core deck since there's no real specific mention to the lurker theme, while tossing in some new twists like the double and burst gates. But then I got my hands on the Dark Pharaoh (revised) and the encounter cards make specific mention of Egyptian/Exhibit themes and some instruct to use the patrol markers.

Seems Lurker's Encounters can be added while still making sense, but not Dark Pharaoh's.
Do I keep all expansions as separate with the location and other world cards? Sorting them back out after the end of the game. Or are there some expansions that can be added to The core deck, while some others wouldn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot depends on whether or not you are using an expansion board. You could shuffle the Mythos, Other World and Arkham Encounter cards from all four small expansions together and have them work fine mechanically on the base board, although themes would be a bit diluted.

The Dunwich and Innsmouth boards add new unstable locations to the game. For every extra expansion added to the Mythos deck, the level of activity on these boards will go down.

Duwnich and Kingsport each add new Other Worlds, as well. If you play with a large Other World Encounter deck, the specific encounters for these worlds will almost never come up, and that is a shame. Carcossa is haunting, and Kaddath should scare the tar out of you.

The Arkham Encounter decks are very miscible, with only rare conflicts (a rail pass received in a one board game, or being sent to an unavailable Other World). You can play pretty much any of them mixed together, but you will lose theme as you expand.

Lurker is probably the most seamless expansion to add to the game, but it will dilute other expansions. The Miskatonic Horror expansion is supposed help to fix this; I haven't enough games with it yet to venture an opinion, but the response seems to have been positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
We always include the injury and madness cards/variant from Dunwich in every games regardless of the expansion. I can recomend that since it gives the investigators a chance to hold on to their items a bit longer.
And also because it makes sense thematically
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what you want!

Here's what I do:
* Place the expansion set's Mythos and Item cards *next* to those of the base game. Newbies draw base game cards, vets draw expansion set cards.
* Return the base game Encounter and Other World cards to the box. After drawing an Encounter or Other World card, discard it.

By avoiding shuffling, you reduce teardown time by not having to sort out expansion cards from base game ones. Also, the expansion set cards tend to make the game harder, offsetting any game advantage veteran players have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Woodbridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feffe wrote:
We always include the injury and madness cards/variant from Dunwich in every games regardless of the expansion.
And also because it makes sense thematically

Same here. Also Relationships. I decided to cherry-pick Common and Unique Items for permanent inclusion, because I felt that too many chances to get things like specific tomes, weapons, and magical stuff went against the spirit of the game. I'll figure out how many of a particular item type are in the deck after adding expansion cards and ask myself: exactly how many magical swords are there at one time in Arkham shops??

I keep the "extras" in the expansion boxes to include when I'm specifically using that particular expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iudicium86 wrote:
I know the items and some mechanics like relationships can be added to core Arkham, but what about location cards and other world encounters?

OP talks about encounters and this thread is now about adding any card... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madness and Injury are worth adding, they provide a nice option for people who over extend themselves.
Personal stories are worth adding, they provide a nice submission to each character.
Uniques, Spells, and Common items, are worth adding, if only to provide a bit more randomization.

Mythos cards I only add for the expansion in play, though I might permanently add the Lurker, if only for the gate bursts.
Other world cards, I've added Dunwhich and Innsmouth. Dunwhich because of the possibilities of madness while traveling in other worlds.

King in Yellow, his mythos cards shouldn't be added unless you're facing him. Too much thematic focus. Same would go for the Pharaoh, I'd suspect.

As for the Encounter cards... I've added in Dunwhich and Innsmouth, because they don't change too much of the balance, aside from the one beating at the newspaper which turns a normally safe location into a painful one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Kuringen
flag msg tools
There are only two truths in the world: men are smarter than women and the earth is flat!
badge
"Ahhhhgr!"
mbmbmbmbmb
So you have lurker and Dark Pharao?
I would mix all encounter together with the base cards.
Before playing you can decide if you want to play basic, 1 or the two expansions. There is a icon itentifying the cards so if one of the cards comes up with the good icon, you use it, otherwise you don't.
And of course unique and common items, spells, allies and all cards affected by these, you can permanantly add to the base game.

I have all expansions and still use this system. Sometimes it can take a while to get the right icon but it is never a big issue.

With us it's the number of players that decide with how many expansions we play. 3 or less usually base + 1 small expansion, more than 3 base, 1 big expansion, 1 small expansion.
We play all expansions with 8 players, because the big expansion boards sometimes keep 2 persons occupied and there are 3 of them :-)

Like mentioned by others there are some things you can add from expansions permanently but mostly these are things from the "big" expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.