Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does the colossus performing a raid/deep strike seem strange?

A raid is when you take a small task force to do a "scalpel precise" strike on the opponent. This is a robot. It doesn't make sense to send, say, your arm and two feet to do a raid while everything else stays at base.

And for a deep strike... either the whole thing deep strikes or it does not, if you want to maintain the theme. But the rules say that shoulders cannot deep strike.

???

I assume this is to maintain balance since the other factions cannot deep strike air units, but it seems really out of place here.

Am I missing something? Or is this like Battle of The Planets G-Force?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Ackermann
Germany
Halle/Saale
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems a little bit out of proportions. But it is just a minor tint in my suspension of disbelief!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Is it just me, or does the colossus performing a raid/deep strike seem strange?

Am I missing something? Or is this like Battle of The Planets G-Force?

Voltron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Btw i think you are mixig the terms. Flying units deep strike. For the Colossus to be able to, you need to spend energy towards jump jets per card on it , IIRC, which is highly thematic.

Flying units (ie shoulders) can't raid. The robot would have to break apart....Again, Voltron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r3gamer wrote:
Btw i think you are mixig the terms. Flying units deep strike. For the Colossus to be able to, you need to spend energy towards jump jets per card on it , IIRC, which is highly thematic.

Flying units (ie shoulders) can't raid. The robot would have to break apart....Again, Voltron!

Yeah, I had it mixed up... but the concern remains. So... for raiding, it makes thematic sense to you that arms and legs can raid, but not shoulders?

Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
I can actually see that making some sense. The giant robot can't raid AND carry its full weapons loadout -, so not all of its weapons can be used on the raid. Like a strike fighter carrying an external fuel tank, or a vehicle unloading cargo to move faster... Granted, that doesn't really explain why it's always one slot, but still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, for me, a Colossus raid means that it's bombarding the enemy base with its rockets and lasers and whatnot hoping to get a lucky strike on an ammo dump (or nest or what-have-you.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
Um, for me, a Colossus raid means that it's bombarding the enemy base with its rockets and lasers and whatnot hoping to get a lucky strike on an ammo dump (or nest or what-have-you.)

And that doesn't apply to shoulders because???

That's fine... I'm cool with it. It's still a good game, I just wish this particular mechanic was a little more thematic w regards to the colossus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Kaworu17 wrote:

And that doesn't apply to shoulders because???

That's fine... I'm cool with it. It's still a good game, I just wish this particular mechanic was a little more thematic w regards to the colossus.

Maybe the legs and arms detach... oh, and they are rocket-powered so they can travel through the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, no? The rocket launchers are mounted on the shoulders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
Er, no? The rocket launchers are mounted on the shoulders.

What are you attempting to disagree with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy, and seemingly the official copy, of the Colossus rules: p.1, column 2, paragraph 5:
http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/The_Ares_Project_Colossus_Rul...

"Cards that are placed into the Shoulder slots do not gain Deep Strike."

Are my rules a misprint? Because people here are saying Shoulder slots can't be a RAID option. If my rules are not a misprint, then when you pay for each unit with the right Deep Strike upgrade, do you pay for Shoulder slots since they aren't in the Deep Strike? These types of inconsistencies within rules are highly frustrating. I'm tempted to bring everything on a Deep Strike, because the cards don't mention Shoulders (they should if it's the case). Or just say their Deep Strike / RAID are just normal attacks instead, and see how it feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MooseyFate wrote:
My copy, and seemingly the official copy, of the Colossus rules: p.1, column 2, paragraph 5:
http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/The_Ares_Project_Colossus_Rul...

"Cards that are placed into the Shoulder slots do not gain Deep Strike."

Are my rules a misprint? Because people here are saying Shoulder slots can't be a RAID option. If my rules are not a misprint, then when you pay for each unit with the right Deep Strike upgrade, do you pay for Shoulder slots since they aren't in the Deep Strike? These types of inconsistencies within rules are highly frustrating. I'm tempted to bring everything on a Deep Strike, because the cards don't mention Shoulders (they should if it's the case). Or just say their Deep Strike / RAID are just normal attacks instead, and see how it feels.

You've managed to confuse me. It's been a WHILE since I've played, but, unless I've gotten something really wrong... You can only bring Infantry and Armor units on a Raid. Shoulder slots are Air units. That rule says nothing about letting you bring Air units on a Raid. It simply says that you can only bring Deep Strike units on a Deep Strike - normally Air units have Deep Strike, but simply putting cards in the Shoulder slot doesn't automatically give them Deep Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of air cards in the game without deep strike. So it seems confusing to me if that's what it refers to.
Wait, I was looking at the wrong thing. Re-looking then I'll update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colossus Rules: p1, right column wrote:
Cards that are placed into the Shoulder slots do not gain Deep Strike. Colossus can only gain Deep Strike through a System Upgrade (Jump Jets or Rocket Boots).
--https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67584/ares-project-coloss...

That's why I got confused. Neither statement acknowledges the other, so it's hard for me to see which one overwrites which. It seems odd to even mention the first sentence since the rules don't say "all air units have deep strike". Normally I'd say the second sentence overwrites the first, or the cards overwrite the rules. Which both mean shoulders can deep strike. But that's why the very existance of this sentence confused me. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mention shoulders not deep striking anywhere else when it approaches this topic again in detail.

But OK... I searched the other factions cards. I never noticed it before, but all non-Colossus factions air units indeed do have Deep Strike. Bug air-evolve cards also have redundant text mentioning they don't gain Deep Strike (though I wouldn't have assumed they did, because I never though of "air units have deep strike" as a rule). Anyways... I assume that sentence was just there for redundancy. But this would be an example of where redundancy can do the opposite of clarify (even though I seem to be the only person who got confused by this).

I'm glad this is the rule, I was just confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.