Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kirk
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone else out there likes to add some atmosphere to Arkham Horror sessions through music, film, or any other media. During last week's session (two games) my wife put on classic monster movies - The Mummy and Dracula - to try and match the spooky '20s vibe. (Yeah, they're from the '30s, I know!) This week she played some Django Reinhardt for a '20s jazz feel.

Whether it's movies or music, it all sort of blends in to the background when I'm really into the game. But whenever I'm waiting for my turn and I notice the background media I have to smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have soundtracks to add some atmosphere. I have programmed about twenty different playlists in my iPod, linked with my stereo system, that are labeled "Science Fiction - Military", "Science Fiction - Ambient", "Modern Warfare - Jungle", "Modern Warfare - Desert", "Fantasy - Monastery", and so on... They are made with soundtracks from games or movies and yes, Arkam Horror has it's own soundtrack "Horror". Danny Elfman with some tracks of "9" and "Sleepy Hollow", Bram Stoker's Dracula, some Dungeon Keeper and Diablo 2 tracks, James Newton Howard's "The Village" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6038724#6038724

has an ideal answer - I've burned to CD and use this for every AH session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This really helps: The player to the right of a player who draws an Encounter card or Other World card reads off the card *until* a decision point is made. This trick involves other players (even if it's just hearing the card being read) and adds a little tension to the game. Sometimes the reader will give hints like, "YES YOU WANT TO SPEND A CLUE TOKEN" or other subtle comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Woodbridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
This thread:

I used to use this exclusively. The downside is that it's only an hour long (yeah, I get it, boo hoo).

The upside is that it's super-well-made, free, and that by being an hour, you can audibly time check how long you've been playing.

A few months ago I bought/DL'd (5th Amendment) the "Hammer Film Collection" vols 1 & 2, a collection of OSTs. I had to remove a couple jungle and/or disco themes as I happened across them, but it has some great mood-enhancing tunes. Also, variation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the slightly more "creepy" type stuff, check out a band called Midnight Syndicate. I was doing this same search a few months ago when I first got Arkham Horror and came across them as a recommendation - great stuff.

If you are a fan of Pandora radio, just create a Midnight Syndicate station and see what you think. Really cool stuff for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

Great suggestion ~ I have a "Nox Arcana" playlist on Pandora ~ excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly left field suggestion that I chanced upon.

Try Hounds of Love, the classic album by Kate Bush. It's on spotify if you don't have the CD.

At first it sounds a bit nuts. Why do I want slick eighties production with my 1920s Lovecraft? But there's something about Kate Bush's weird, sensual, unnerving, otherworldy art that fits perfectly with the Lovecraft mythos.

Much of the album is preoccupied with uncanny themes. Hounds of Love - the track - begins with "There's something in the trees! It's coming!". Mother Stands for Comfort is about a mother knowing her son is a killer, but loving him anyway. Very creepy - broken glass production on this one. Under Ice nods to horror soundtracks with its sense of impending doom.

So there's plenty there that's directly horrific, but you also get Bush's artistic genius and lightness of touch. Highly recommended.

My other suggestion would be Robert Johnson and other delta blues artists. Hellhound on my Trail etc.

(EDIT. Here's a link http://open.spotify.com/album/5BWl0bB1q0TqyFmkBEupZy
)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Jeff,

Great suggestion ~ I have a "Nox Arcana" playlist on Pandora ~ excellent!

I've never heard of Nox Arcana, but I will have some on the iPod in time for tonight's game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ford
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I go to last.fm and play a "radio station" based on Luigi Nono. It's modern classical and will generate some absolutely unnerving tracks that range from creepy operatic things to electronic experiments. No attempt at being period, just very strange, alien, macabre, and full of tension. You never quite know what's coming next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
This thread:

These are awesome- wish he'd do a few more.

I tune in to Soma FM's "Mission Control" or "Drone Zone" web radio stations- "Mission Control" is especially weird, cause it's actual NASA audio mixed with ambient music. I know it's the wrong era but somehow it works with the Mythos...

A couple times I've streamed "Yog Radio Radio" as background...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
This thread:

Thanks for the props! For anyone who's interested here's the updated thread with all 4 parts and a bonus 1920s music playlist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/595047/the-nameless-fest...

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
My whole dining room is draped (dark purple) out in a Arkham Horror Theme. There's a large Cthulhu watching over everything.

There's an old timey radio playing spooking music. Skulls are everywhere.

I usually wear my Monterey Jack hat, my CSI Arkham hat or my Greek Fisherman hat.

I have a table from before the war that will be able to accomodate at least two more big board expansions and my game is in a locker with a 1920's shipping label on it.

Almost all the furniture is antiques, many from the 20's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
My whole dining room is draped (dark purple) out in a Arkham Horror Theme. There's a large Cthulhu watching over everything.

I usually wear my Monterey Jack hat, my CSI Arkham hat or my Greek Fisherman hat.

I have a table from before the war that will be able to accomodate at least two more big board expansions and my game is in a locker with a 1920's shipping label on it.

Wow - that is hardcore and super, super cool! Photos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:

Wish I had space for an "Arkham Room".... or even a gameroom....At least I have skulls everywhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.