Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: 6 species remaining by the end of 3rd turn... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Tolomelli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the only 6 player game I had, by the end of the 3rd turn, a player had only 6 species remaining (and was practically out of game).
Anyone had similar experiences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nope.

but if it did happen, then that person played poorly. shouldn't have speciated so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Tolomelli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he speciated "too much".
He was doing well, speciated and moved to cover some tundra (for Survivalist) and good tiles to score with Domination.

He simply was the one hit by terrible cards (and some Competition, like other players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He speciated too much, putting a big red target on himself so he got hit hard by the cards rather than prepare or wait for them to be played out.

Sometimes it pays not to be too aggressive. I've only run out of species once on the pre ultimate turn and I learned that is the quickest way to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeZ wrote:
He was doing well, speciated and moved to cover some tundra (for Survivalist) and good tiles to score with Domination.

He simply was the one hit by terrible cards (and some Competition, like other players).

Of course he speciated too much. The game is about managing your available resources and protecting them from the disasters that come out every turn. He didn't get unlucky, he got attacked because he put himself in an incredibly weak position.

If the way you are "doing well" is by making yourself vulnerable, you are not doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I recently won (by a long way) as spiders I'm pretty certain that after the third round I'd put out about ten species IN TOTAL on to the board. Start slow and aim to peak at the right time. No point peaking early, the later you can peak as an animal, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you've done better than the dodo and the wooly mammoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Well you've done better than the dodo and the wooly mammoth. :D

The wooly mammoth did try though. They adapted their coat due to the Glaciation action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeZ wrote:

Winning right up until you lost.

I hate to break it to you, but you played poorly. I don't mean this insultingly, because I've played poorly a lot at the game. It's not a game you can chalk up to luck though. There simply isn't enough of it.

If you got hit by a card, it's probably because you were the best target for it. You knew the card was out there. You had an entire turn to wipe the bullseye off your chest. You failed. Much like surviving in the wild, it's better not to be obvious.

If you take a step back, and ask yourself "What could I have done to make those cards go elsewhere?" or "How could I have positioned myself to mitigate the damage those cards can do to me?" you'll discover the deeper brilliance of the game, and become a vastly better player. You simply can't just try to run over people. You can't. You have to weave and weave and strike and retreat and circle and you simply can not just be aggressive (Which if by turn 3 you had only 6 cubes left you absolutely, unequivocally were). I digress though, it's easier said than done.

You have to struggle, and time yourself and pick your spots. Go back and give it another try and really try to pace yourself more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
LukeZ wrote:

Winning right up until you lost.

I hate to break it to you, but you played poorly. I don't mean this insultingly, because I've played poorly a lot at the game. It's not a game you can chalk up to luck though. There simply isn't enough of it.

If you got hit by a card, it's probably because you were the best target for it. You knew the card was out there. You had an entire turn to wipe the bullseye off your chest. You failed. Much like surviving in the wild, it's better not to be obvious.

If you take a step back, and ask yourself "What could I have done to make those cards go elsewhere?" or "How could I have positioned myself to mitigate the damage those cards can do to me?" you'll discover the deeper brilliance of the game, and become a vastly better player. You simply can't just try to run over people. You can't. You have to weave and weave and strike and retreat and circle and you simply can not just be aggressive (Which if by turn 3 you had only 6 cubes left you absolutely, unequivocally were). I digress though, it's easier said than done.

You have to struggle, and time yourself and pick your spots. Go back and give it another try and really try to pace yourself more.

I've noticed from some reviews as well as comments that new players often get caught out by game play. It's not their fault, it happened to all of us, but for some it leaves them disliking the game or, sometimes, thinking it is broken and needs fixing. The game is not like a Euro where the mechanics self correct any big mistakes. I wonder if there would be any use for a 'DS 101' guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeZ wrote:

And then prepared himself for a huge GAME OVER in the last turn, since most of the points are awarded with the Ice Age card + final scoring round of every tile.

Italian-language spoiler:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In questo gioco la partenza troppo aggressiva ti fa notare subito dagli altri giocatori, diventerai il target primario delle carte dominazione negative, e perderai qualsiasi possibilità di poter vincere la partita avendo una buona presenza sulla mappa per i 2 scoring indicati sopra. Farsi notare nei primi 3 turni è sempre foriero di immense tragedie in DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The game is not like a Euro where the mechanics self correct any big mistakes. I wonder if there would be any use for a 'DS 101' guide."

Oh man, that would rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.